Your favourite fiction recommendations.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Please tell me you're joking...or did I miss something?

Me, I read nearly anything; proper books to pretend I am clever and I can read, fantasy for fun. I read fantasy for the same reasons that people watch reality TV, and X-Factor type stuff.

Can't stand sci-fi though.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I prefer the Winston translation.

'Oive come to kill your monstah ! ' :D

Mitch

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I read that as a teenager and was really looking forward to it - and so disappointed in the end :(
    I was actually glad, when it was over.

Lots of books I enjoyed.
    But for some reason "Summer of Night" by Dan Simmons jumped into my mind, while reading this thread.
    Really enjoyed that book and should it again in time; but this time the English version, not the translation.
    (It's only for people who enjoy books in which kids are the main characters though. Personally I like books like that and tend to enjoy them ^^)

Also enjoyed an old series called "Seewölfe", which are short books (150-160 pages per book, I guess) about a boy/ young man who got impressed (is that the right word here? As in "forced to do duty") to serve on a ship of the West India Company in 1629.
    Unfortunately those are German books, so won't be of any help here.

I do need to take a look at other books with that setting though.

I also like books based on TV shows (Doctor Who, Buffy, Star Trek, Stargate, Star Wars, ...)

"The Last Legion" on which the movie is based was also very enjoyable for me.

Some horror-classics (Pet cementary, It, Shining and some others by Stephen King; quite a few books by Dean Koontz) or criminal literatur (James Deavers Lincoln Rhymes series; James Pattersons Alex Cross' books).

Fantasy and Sci-Fi as well (I belong to those, who enjoyed Eddings Malloreon Saga, because it has had a teenage character ;) )

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

At least Fish can render a decent interpretation of his readings and prolly recalls most everything he's read. Virtually everything I've read, save one, maybe two, was at least 25 years ago and those aren't on the list. (Kate Braverman was/is a tai chi//push hands practitioner, BTW)

They've all congealed into a sort of literary amalgam over the years, though one or two stuck in my head ( were those the ones I was supposed to list? :p ). I kept them all - I suppose if I've a "hoarding" thing, its the books. I've re-read a few many times, others only once but I've hung on to 'em all over the years. Even the art history and organic chemistry texts from University.

So the wife had decided to go through all of it the other day and start tossing things into the Donations box. There they were. All in cardboard boxes waiting to be carried off by some Salvation Army bookstore denizen.

Otherwise, there'd be no doubt I'd forgotten a good number.

I can not see you doing that.

One of the things you abhor most in people when you see it...or think that you might.

This is, without doubt, the best quote of the entire thread.