your favorite self defence authors and why they are

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by robin101, Jan 4, 2012.

1. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

would you like too?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pete was a bouncer too in Manchester - and Geoff nods to him as " the guru" for Self Protection.

Both super, super nice guys though

3. robin101

oh i know , I found Jim grover through Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine, they both wrote a glowing review of a SD course by an ex bouncer called Lee Morrison , who says he got most of his sylabus from Jim Grover.

4. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Most martial artists interpret self protection from a place that most people never get to and that is the actual fight.They seem to forget that the most useful skills are learning to talk your way out of the situation.

Apparently Frantzis hit Wang in the head and all hell let loose. :woo:

5. friendly_energy

friendly_energy New Member

I think in book format Rory Miller, Lawrence Kane, Marc McYoung are on the right track to addressing the challenges in self defense.

In video/dvd format I think Tony Blauer, Rich Dimitri are realistically doing these things as well.

The similarities among these instructors, authors and teachers is that the emphasis is more on the psychological, emotional and verbal state in violent situations. Not so much the physical techniques though each instructor does have 1 or 2 simple bridge moves to neutralize the immediate angle of attack(front or rear for example) before countering with their own punches, elbows, knees, headbutts, etc.

Pros: is that there is a wealth of dvd and reading material from the above mentioned instructors among others.

Cons: is that most of the live force on force classes are seminar based. nothing wrong with seminars. They are alright as long as you continue to train what is taught after the seminars. Other thing about seminars is that sometimes they only happen once a year in your city or town.. maybe not at all for a few years. If no one else is teaching similar principles in the martial arts schools where you are from.. you might not have a lot of places or people to train what you learned in the seminars.

All I can think of for now.

6. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

hey hey hey hey hey. I like Bruce Franzis a lot. His books are fun to read. I don't do this on a competition level like some of you.... (even though maybe I wouldn't do too bad.) He does Bagua and that's a pretty formidable martial art. He does tai chi and xingyi, too.

7. Hannibal

Liek I said Lou, good at his ART which is NOT the same thing at all

8. Hannibal

Did he have a death wish? Holy crap!! I am suprised he survived it!

9. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

Most have been mentioned, I haven’t trained with Lee Morrison I have his books and he was on the BBC body language experiment re victimology certainly knows his stuff. Hock Hochheim another very credible instructor. Al Peasland from the Geoff Thompson stable well qualified, good background has a good crop of videos including a very good one on dealing with multiple opponents.
    John Skillen former bouncer with a quality grounding in Judo and Boxing (Is an ABA full boxing coach) has an excellent website with instructional videos clips to view including the most of the instructors named in this thread. All of the above address the verbal skills etc. A good point made by friendly energy but sometimes over looked is that unless you live around the corner from theses instructors you rely on seminars and linking up with others who think and train the same way.
    A factor that I often believed is slightly overlooked and maybe can be discussed as a separate thread is that all these instructors, leaving the physical skills aside are very confident, highly motivated and capable individuals which comes across in their seminars; it’s the transference of that I would be interested in hearing peoples views on. And confidence and capability perception is more important than we might think . A subject I am address in a short thread with some interesting research I have uncovered.

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi robin101

Had a quick flick through one or two of his youtube vids. Good solid basic stuff in the main. Some of it very similar to what I teach - but then that's to be expected. Some of it different, but that's to be expected to.

By and large my selection was made based on the focus on psychological preparation and training, plus avoidance and deterrence rather than on the physical skills taught.

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I look forward to it. :)

12. robin101

I would agree, his stuff is good basics. I think what i like about Geoff And jim are that they are not OVERLY paranoid. Some of what i have heard Peter say comes across that way, but its just me.

13. 5thprofession47

5thprofession47 New Member

I've been reading Michael Janich's books and articles for over twelve years. He has nearly 40 years of training and is an exceptional martial artist. Janich and McCann have trained together and are friends as well.

I have a buddy who trained with Bob Kasper back in 2000 and that was how I came to know Kasper's name. I have become more interested in Kasper the last few years and began to research his material and his GHCA organization. It's sad that he passed so early in life. My research indicates that Kasper didn't train McCann. Both men were very experienced teachers by the time they met up.

Kelly McCann was well established before he ever met Bob Kasper. Kelly first met Bob via an ad Bob had placed in Black Belt Magazine back in the early 1990's. Bob founded the Gung Ho Chuan Association (an organization that researches, trains, preserves and teaches WWII Combatives) in 1992 and advertised it in the magazine. Kelly soon joined the group, made up of chapters in various cities. They would get together for their mutual training events approximately once a year if memory serves me. Anyway, Kelly taught handgun and stick, BOTH men taught combatives (albeit slightly different approaches) and Bob taught knife. Kelly states he had his own knife program established prior to this and it can be seen in his "Kem-Ba-Tiv knife" DVD. Yes, there are many Kasper influences aparent in the DVD as I suspect Kelly would agree. There were other instructors and chapters including men such as John Kary who was fairly well known too.