Your Favorite Kickboxer?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Who is your favorite Kickboxer of all time? I have a few that really captured my attention and make me wanna become the best, but I'll tell you my favorite of all time has to be Dennis Alexio.

The guy was cool. Power, great kicks, and good hands. He never turned down a fight against anyone, and he fought a list of who's who. Stan Longinidis, Don Wilson, Branco Cikatic, Michael McDonald, Dick Kimber, ect.

If it wasen't for his leg break against Stan the man, then I believe he would have had a much more illustrious career.

But he still is a badass. I mean, he fought some of his fights in a grass skirt, how BA is that. :D

Honorable mentions to Don Wilson, Rick Roufus, Cung Le, Marvin Perry and Jerome Le Banner.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think overall this sort of question will be a tough one for most people.
    Why?
    Because kickboxing really just isn't a term that's on the radar. Most people seem to use the term kickboxing when they can't pronounce the word Muay Thai and don't know the difference between the two. It's understandable... there are so many varying rulesets and organizations in kickboxing that it takes a lot to follow who's doing what and who has what ranking under what ruleset. Kickboxing often becomes a sort of generic term applied rather loosely.

Ok... so anyhow I'll take a stab at this:

One of the people that always was impressive to me in terms of kickboxing is Mr. Perfect. That's right... Ernesto Hoost of K-1 fame.

I think many people are under the assumption that he is a nak muay... and he does have a Muay Thai background... but he also holds legit titles in Savate, ISKA (by KO over kickboxer all around hard man Rick Roufus) and WKA kickboxing titles in addition to his K-1 and K-2 titles... it's telling of his talent that his list of wins includes victories over beat Maurice Smith, Muay Thai legend Changpuet Kitasongkrit, KO against Jerome LeBanner and beat Andy Hug by unanimous decision ('97) - also lost to Hug on point on a split decision ('96), KO'd Peter Aerts and KO'd Mirko CroCop... among others.

Now if that isn't a list of who's who in striking... then I dunno what is!
    Here's just some of his record from the K-1 days:

http://www.k-1.co.jp/k-1gp/fighter/ernesto_hoost.htm

Yikes!!!:eek:

Here's a bit of info on the rulesets he's fought and won under:

Savate: no knees, no elbows and kicks must be from the knee... not the hip

ISKA: full contact - kicks above the belt - no knee's no elbows

WKA: full contact - kicks below the belt - no knee's no elbows

K-1: full contact - kicks above and below the belt - knee's allowed, no elbows

Here's the HL:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxaZw2oSkU"]YouTube[/ame]
    That's got to be one of the most inspirational clips ever.

Here's another:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYMTLHb7NV0&feature=related"]K1 - The Best Of Ernesto Hoost - YouTube[/ame]

Here is his bout against Ray Sefo in which Sefo's leg breaks:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYCH-TG-Xg&feature=related"]Ernesto Hoost vs Ray Sefo - YouTube[/ame]

Here is Mr. Perfect putting CroCop on the canvas:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UcT53N7eq4&feature=related"]Ernesto Hoost vs Mirko Crocop - YouTube[/ame]

Here is Mr. Perfect weathering the storm from a very game Jerome LeBanner... seriously people... look at LeBanners size and speed with his punches. Hoost soaks up a whole lot of leather here before he turns the tide in spectacular fashion!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxMzYedmdN0&feature=related"]Jerome Le Banner vs Ernesto Hoost World Grand Prix Final - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a gem... both fighters much younger here... Hoost VS Aerts... two of the hardest kicking men in the business!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMvZAvljHaE&feature=related"]YouTube[/ame]
    If you know them from their K-1 careers no doubt you'll have trouble recognizing them here in their younger, lighter days.

Here is Hoost's fight against legendary Karateka... Andy Hugg... you just don't want to be in that ring. You really don't.:D
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXI5yeequQM"]YouTube[/ame]
    I think my legs got seriously bruised just watching that!!! I limped away from the computer!! :eek:

I always thought that Hoost was an ideal spokesperson for the sport to be honest. Speaks five languages, is humble, never talks trash and has continually fought the best of the best. A class act.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Jean- Claude Van Damme :D

4. never_surrender

never_surrender New Member

Lol erm? OK. My fave has to be Mike Zambidis. I have deep respect to any fighter that has or will kick the crap out of Bob Sapp for being a nob-head, and any fighter that has or will kick the crap out of Frank Dux and Jean Claude Van-Damme for giving Martial Arts a bad name and a false glamour, and for lying (won't mention any names Frank!) Regardless of the style of M.A. They have opted for.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. shift

shift Valued Member

Rough question

1. Ramon Dekker
    2. Buakaw por pramuk
    3. Masato
    4. Mike Zambidis
    5. Andy Souwer

I am a fan of Rob Mcullough and Yves edwards...Kenny Florians Muay Thai is pretty good but he's not really a kickboxer.

Serkan Yilmaz is very exciting

6. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

LOVE that clip... love the knockdown combos that end in leg kicks, so awesome.

7. never_surrender

Is Yilmaz a Muay Thai/Taekwondo Fighter? If not both then one of the two? He is definitely very entertaining and also very fast.

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Rob Kaman :)

9. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Bill Wallace.
    (let's old skool y'all!)

10. path_one

path_one steps taken

I believe he comes from a TKD background but has been training Thai Boxing for a number of years, last I checked he was completing his militry service and is thinking about K1 when its over.

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Iron Mike Zambidis.

12. never_surrender

Old "Superfoot" rox!

13. Amunet

Amunet New Member

Rosi Sexton.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Superfoot,left leg that could hit ya in the head when he wanted,backed up by a left hook to, great stuff.

I hosted Bill for a seminar in my home town maaany years ago and he was brill,wicked sense of humour and a super nice guy :) .

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bill Wallace created his own brand of fighting called the "Superfoot System," which I also teach to my own students. It comprises tactics and training based on the 5 techniques he used (side kick, roundhouse kick, hook kick, jab and hook - all from the front*), and I've used it to great effect in my point, semi-contact and full-contact fighting. If you get the chance to host a seminar with Bill, do so because you will be laugh all the way through. He's a down-to-earth guy with a great sense of humour. Failing that, get his DVDs or books, they're well worth it.

Listed below are my top 5 kickboxers, all of whom have inspired me in some way or another:

1. Bill "Superfoot" Wallace
    2. Benny "The Jet" Urquidez (trained with him back in 2004)
    3. Joe Lewis
    4. Rob Kaman
    5. Jean Yves Theriault

(*He later added the rear-hand cross when his knee injury improved.)

16. shift

shift Valued Member

I endorse 1-4 I don't know Jean Yves Theriaut

but I'll look him up

I'd like to add Chuck Norris as another old schooler

17. shift

shift Valued Member

Modern times, I'd also like to add

Michael Mcdonald
    Ernesto Hoost
    Andy Hug
    Jerome Lebanner
    Remy Bonjasky
    Maurice Smith
    Carter Williams
    Dewy Cooper
    Mac Danzig
    Duane Ludwig

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi guys,

Thought we should give a special mention to Peter "Sugarfoot" Cunningham (he bashed up Kurt MicKinney's Jason Stilwell character in the dojo sparring scene in "No Retreat, No Surrender" - classic!).

He combined Tae Kwon Do with Muay Thai.

Kind regards,

Super Foot

[​IMG] WTF Tae Kwon Do (USTU)

[​IMG] TAGB Tae Kwon Do

[​IMG] IKF Kickboxing

[​IMG] Superfoot System

19. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Now there is a list for you!

I never was a big fan of joe lewis,but I did have much repsect for him.
    Way back when; the brother of one my best friends was the first person(I believe) to go the distance with Theriault. His was an unkown named Paul Ford from columbus ohio.
    Paul never really made it big because he told the Corely brothers,who were in charge of PKA to ....... "be fruitful and multipy" :D

Also; Chuck Norris never did full contact. He only did point fighting.
    And if you want to get a response fron dear old chuck; ask him about Tonny Tulleners ;)

And yes! Training with Bill Wallace is an experience!
    I attended a few seminars with him back home and spent half the time laughin my head off!!!

20. shift

shift Valued Member

He was also in a fight scene with Yuen Biao...pretty good kicker. Even better than Jerry Trimble

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZpZQK_jaw"]Jerry Trimble Greatest Hits. - YouTube[/ame]