Your experience with styles.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bellator Manus, May 30, 2004.

1. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Thought of this on a different message board and I thought it would work well here too. I am hoping for more input and info esp on lesser practiced styles like Hapkido.

Just post experiences you've had with the style and what you think of it.
    Example:
    Tie Kwan Do (I've had no actual exp)
    About: TKD is an flashy style. Relying on impressive kicks to deal poerful blows. Schools are easy to find so good teachers can be found with some searching.
    training: Lots of exercise and is both mentally and phycally stregthening with about being very rough. The Flashy kicks take practice though.
    Street effectiveness: Not very. You'll beat an average joe but a kicks are usually ineffective against othe MAers.
    Street training: Depends on ths Dojo, but normally there isn't a lot of training against being mugged. You tend to train for the sprot aspects of Martial Arts.
    Bottom line: It was fun to be sure. I would recommend it for people wanting to get fit and meet people. But for self-defence, it's more of a sport

That was my example. Hopefully you can help me out.

2. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

You don't happen to live under a bridge do you?

3. Bellator Manus

Crap what did I do now?

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

:confused:

5. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

First of all you need spell check.
    Second of all do a little more RESEARCH!!!
    Third before you talk about TKD being street effective you need to disclose the style!

6. Bellator Manus

That's it? You had me scared a second.

1st. This is research.
    2nd. I said I had no exp with TKD.
    3rd. I don't care enough about you to do a spell check. I don't bend my will to others.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

1) there are many threads in the different style forums. go read them.
    2) so what if you have none. it doesn't exempt you from making assumptions.
    3) you're posting here. spell check. be nice to others.

take my advice kid, don't be lazy nor rude and you'll go a long way.

8. Bellator Manus

I appologize, then. I have miscomunicated. I was using TKD as an example. When I said I had no actual experience I meant I was pulling that out of the air. That was not a real judgement or my thoughts about TKD. I apolopize to the people I have offened.

I know about the styles section but what thread on them is going to tell me what people thought about the style when they tried it? Most of the threads on there are about this or that concerning the style but not a whole lot for someone wondering what people think that have tried it.

9. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I feel as though I've been a little rude weirdalan. I shouldn't have been so rude, so I hope you accept my apology. But it was a bad day yesterday.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The problem with the original question is that you could ask 200 people for their experiences with taekwondo (for example) and get 200 different answers. Not different on the "liked" or "disliked" level. But in terms of the style of taekwondo (ITF, WTF, etc.), the legitimacy of the teacher, the difference in priorities between schools (competition, tradition, self defense) not matching up with what you want, etc.

In other words, it's difficult for me to imagine the answers to your question (however well intentioned) being very useful. Opinions vary. The reasons for those opinions vary even more.

Stuart

11. RCastillo

RCastillo New Member

TKD stressed strong basics for me, and if it not for that, my journey back into Kenpo would've been harder. TKD can be better, but it comes down to the instructor, and how much you know where you can interject to make it better for you. There is value in all arts.

Respects

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

So you're dissing a martial art that you have no experience in?!
    Hello? Anyone home? Doesn't that seem WRONG to you?

I tried TKD. Went up two levels in it. Loved it. The people I trained with could fight as well as anyone else I've seen. I'll say it again: the people at my school could fight as well as anyone else I've seen. TKD got me in shape, too. I could do lots of pushups when I was in training, and I had a flat tummy. I quit not because I didn't like it, but because it wasn't the right art for me, the individual. I was looking for something different (turned out to be aikido).

13. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

weirdalan welcome to map lol
    yes i did read that you had put tkd as an example and had no specific experiance and just wanted others to post what they felt where the benefits of there style was

ok
    Wing Chun Kung Fu
    Very direct .... kicks only below the waist .. good hand reflexes though chi sao exercises... simultanious blocks and strikes (with one arm or both) weakness seems to be that as you dont train in how to throw kicks your knowledge of how they can be thrown at you is limited ...

Schools are easy to find and a few varietys

Pretty effective on the street ...goes straight for the opponents blindside and targets the attackers week spots

Most training is geared towards the street

Overall a great art for hands with fantastic blocks and strikes though needs to be coupled with eg mauy thai or tkd to enhance it with kicking abilities

Might make a great section on the site "Style Attributes" where everyone can post what they think are the strength and benefits of their styles so new people on the forum dont have to keep posting can you help me choose a style questions and they can choose a style bassed on all ready categorized feedback
    Good luck on the forums :) :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  14. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

I would like to take this opportunity to state my VERY firm belief that it's not the style, it's the FIGHTER that counts.

Jake.

15. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

can your firm belief state what you as the fighter see as the major points of your style :)

16. Bellator Manus

Please read the post inbetween the thread. I wish I dah a way to edit but I don't see any buttons for it.