Your definition of Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cable Focus, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned

If everyone would be so kind, in order to learn more about Ninjutsu, I would like to hear everyone's individual definition of Ninjutsu.

To kick things off, here are some definitions I mined from teh internets. Please feel free to agree/disagree and why.

From Google dictionary:
    The traditional Japanese technique of espionage, characterized by stealthy movement and camouflage. It was developed in feudal times for military purposes and subsequently used in the training of samurai

Turnbull, Stephen (2007), Warriors of Medieval Japan:
    So-called ninjutsu techniques, in short are the skills of shinobi-no-jutsu and shinobijutsu, which have the aims of ensuring that one's opponent does not know of one's existence, and for which there was special training.

Ninpo.org:
    For the modern practitioner of Ninjutsu, or Ninpo, the term Ninjutsu represents a set of unarmed and weapon techniques from a number of ryuha, namely Koto ryu, Gikan ryu, Gyokko ryu, and Togakure ryu, among others. The techniques include various methods of fighting, leaping, hiding, walking and running methods, as well as sword evading techniques, and special utilization of the body. Similarly, the arsenal of weapons includes a variety of conventional weapons such as Tachi and Yari, and unconventional weapons such as Shuko, Kusari fundo, and concealed weapons. In any case, the combative characteristic of Ninjutsu, be it defensive or offensive, is commonly accepted as the essence of Ninjutsu.

Thank you,

2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Utilizing the search function is akin to having a whole network of ninja spies at your disposal. :hat:

3. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned

I'm aware it's been touched on in other threads, but from my search of the previous threads, there has never been a definitive thread to discuss and compare each others definitions.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well it's not a martial art, I know that much!

:whistle:

5. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Okay, but how much more definitive can you get than the numerous threads here and elsewhere, numerous blogs, and published materials? Just based on your original post in this thread, can you see any reasons why there might not be any definitive answers to satisfy the curiousities of uninvolved or uninvested parties?

6. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Post answered! Lock Please?

7. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

How many are there? I always thought there was just one internet? Are you getting all Matrix on us here?

8. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

You are unlikely to get agreement on the definitions and as Fu Bag stated this has been gone over before.

I'm assuming that you currently train in one of the x-kan groups. If yes, what is your response to someone who asks what martial art you train in?

9. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Ask your instructor. His definition will be the only one that matters in your training, unless you visit your org's hombu and are given further instruction by other senior instructors.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

There is no spoon...:hat:

11. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

There is no instructor. The instructor is Zero.

12. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

As much as I would so enjoy this discussion..... again.
    I'm going to close this as honestly if you looked into the past this either turns into people who can't agree on one way of looking at it, or some completely political argument. It serves no purpose.

If you have the definition in type in front of you why ask it here, when you know all it is going to do is stir crud.

closed for something better to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.