your BJJ gripes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

The fact I don't get to play anymore :(

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

We just had to fix this for a guy in class tonight. The spin is dangerous for your training partner's knee. Try to scoop under him with your hips, and lift him rather than turn. If you can hold him off the ground for a moment, then throw, you're doing it reasonably correct, and you've got a base throw to work with.

My biggest gripe is seeing someone who just doesn't have the heart to improve. You can troubleshoot them every time you see them and they still can't make a single situation work out confidently. You walk them through the most basic technique, they flounder two thirds of the way through it, and then drop the rest to the floor and look at you like "Was that right?". It's one thing when it's a new person, it's another thing when it's someone who has been around more than a year.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My son who is a blue belt in BJJ says if the women don't want to get 'touched' in the wrong places they shouldn't be training in BJJ. Its part of the territory when rolling.....

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i do hope that he distinguises between appropriate and inappropriate touching.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

aye, that's the trick. watch where your feet are in relation to theirs, you have to get them in close to really get under. hip bump!

6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

One of my gripes is when new students come to the class thinking they already know a lot. Many people come in with prior experience from other grappling arts or schools, which is great, but occasionally you get one who isn't really there to learn anything new. I had to partner up with one fellow not too long ago who wouldn't even drill the techniques we were supposed to be learning. "Oh, that technique is fine, but here's what I do from that position." Arrrrrrgh! Why come to a class if you don't want to learn?!

7. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

Ha, my class has had that same problem ever since the school down the street closed. The best one had to be the girl "that doesn't tap for chokes."

She didn't come back.

This morning I had class with my instructor and a student/friend who's a 58 year old 6th dan in Judo. My gripe is that class didn't last for ten hours.

8. Shadowgrappler

Shadowgrappler New Member

My gripe is their aren't enough hot women in it for me to let em put me in guard:evil:I enjoy north south with the girlys also.

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

classy.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thats weird caus' I heard on the internet that you love north south with men more, but the good looking ones wont let you, 'cause apparently your not hot enough?

How'd you like them apples.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  11. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Because THAT'S a great way to make women feel comfortable rolling in an already male dominated art...

12. Shadowgrappler

Well it was a joke,but i guess that is hard for somebody who spends half there life on a computer than in the real world to comprehend.

13. Shadowgrappler

Wait are you making a pass at me?Weird cause last time i checked the only part of me on the net is a few post i have made on this site.You must be one of those butch chicks in the gym seeing as how you got so bothered by my little joke.Im happily married to a beautiful wife ty,and no i don't like rolling with ugly manly women who want to be like guys.:woo:

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well I have made many a women go lesbian, but thats completely different story.

Dude, rolling should be an asexual, (not a sexual) experience, if your going to be a douche online, expect to get picked up for it.

ps my little joke was identical to your little joke, so if you cant take your own joke, then maybe you shouldnt make them in the first place.

15. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Anyone who goes to BJJ class with the express purpose of rolling with "hot women" has some serious issues. Kinda makes me feel bad for your wife, actually. Come to think of it, does she know you feel that way about BJJ?

It's attitudes like yours that make women shy away from BJJ in the first place.

16. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Be honest, if you think rollin with the wimminz is sexy then isn't it kinda weird whenever you do the same thing with fat sweaty dudes unless your into that aswell I suppose? Anyway, say hi to your wife for me.

17. righty

righty Valued Member

My biggest gripe in BJJ is that some practitioners are bigoted douches who put more importance in their own opinions and lack of mutual respect above the art itself and those who just want to get on with things and train. It makes it worse when they think they're actually being humorous.

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What she said!

Did a woman beat you at some point and make you feel so inadequate that you have to compensate by insulting them all and convincing yourself that any woman who grapples is a weird freak or something? I'm sure Kyra Gracie falls into that category (not)! :rolleyes:

The initial comment might have been a joke, but your follow up comments indicate you have some major issues with women training! With an attitude like that, you won't be on MAP for long!

19. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Fortunately, in my experience in the pretty small BJJ community around the pacific northwest and online, guys like that don't last very long at all. Honestly, people, he's clearly a troll and likely doesn't actually train anywhere.

20. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

You're nothing but a god damn creep