your BJJ gripes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Sep 30, 2008.

1. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I can't stand it when someone in class doesn't trim their nails before training and they either dig in or cut me with them. People that don't wash their gi between classes irk me as well.

Amen to that. My main partner has hair that's not quite long enough to pull back so it's either sticking to my face, getting tangled in my hands or ends up in my mouth. Uhhgg!! :bang: Nothing worse than being a bit winded and trying to cough up or gagging on a hair.

2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

On the flip side it is just insulting when someone says after you control the whole roll "it's just because you are big", totally demeaning your skill and hard work in achieving that skill. Nothing ****es a big guy off more.

I know people, usually beginners, who use strength. Also know people who use their conditioning and go like the clappers. I also know really quick folk who nip all over the place and try and jump guard, run around guard and such. Why does strength get <beep> on whilst the others are praised? I'm starting a revolution. Don't like it because I am stronger than you? Then boo hoo, learn to deal with it!

I do make a mental note of people who habitually say this. Next time around they really feel what my crossface is like! :mad::woo:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

fair point pirate. my arguement would be life ain't fair: if you're learning for defence then i'll bet my left nut that somone who jumps you will be bigger

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Non-Attribute-Based Training:

The benefits behind of this training philosophy are two-fold. First of all, when you purposely shelf your attributes in training, you are forced to rely solely on, and develop the element of timing in order to improve your skills. The attributes of speed, strength, and agility, are a great gift and it's a positive thing to try to develop them. However, they can also be used in place of solid fundamentals and to cover up the flaws in your game. Attributes will fade with age and time, but a solid set of fundamentals will ensure that you are able to enjoy training in the combat sports even past the point which would be typically considered an athlete's physical prime.

This can be performed by simply adjusting the pace and pressure of your daily training and as always, focusing on the fundamentals of your given delivery system, not the fancy or trick moves that are often popular crowd-pleasers. Training in this manner has often proven to increase the learning curve of an entire class, simply because it allows you to roll with more people of all different experience levels since the absence of attributes tends to level the playing field a bit more for the vast majority who aren't gifted athletes or in their physical prime.

Secondly, and perhaps the more important by-product of this is that it ensures a challenging, yet safe and rewarding training environment for everybody at our gym.

5. piratebrido

Kusa, you gym doesn't happen to be associated with Rodney King does it? :D

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its a training approach used in SBG Gyms (and training groups) works wonders to get new people to drop their ego, figure out their weaknesses and work on their fundmentals, then again sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with the monster smashing you!

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Wow, talk about pulling guard aggresively...

8. piratebrido

Slindsay I gave you a fail/10 for effort. I made that joke in here already!

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

come on pirate share the love. pauli certainly is

10. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Not having the cash for a rash guard. I'm tired of my arms looking like week old bananas

11. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

There's a difference between doing it to control the other person and using it to hurt them! I've been on both sides, and you sure know which is which. Yes, I can see your point, but in general, I've seen an attitude like that hurt someone.
    Not saying you are that person, but it really isn't fair on someone who's there to have fun.

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

My only real gripe is that I didn't even really know about BJJ until I was 36. I am really jealous of the kids who are training in BJJ at 10. Heck, even the 20 year olds. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I stumbled in when I did. I just think sometimes about where I'd be if I'd started training in college. :)

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Very nice post kusa.

I don't mind rolling with people who bring their talents/attributes (eg. size, strength, flexibility, conditioning) to their game. Of course to solely rely on such things and have crappy technique will soon be noticed and countered so I guess BJJ is a self-regulating MA in that way.

14. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oh and steve :) I'm so with you on that one. BJJ is so awesome that we all wished we came to it earlier.

15. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

new gripe: no class till we find a new gym.

time off will probably do me and my rotator cuff some good, though.

16. beeran1

beeran1 Valued Member

That I'm not good enough at it?

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I'd like to jump in on the big/strong bandwagon and add age in there also.

I am usually the biggest guy in my class at 6'1'' and 250 lbs. I am also the oldest by usually 14 or 15 years at 54.

I know I am going to be a half step slower than everybody in the class so I have adjusted my game accordingly. With stretching as part of my at home work out I have now increased my flexibility to that of sun dried leather.

I also make every attempt not to use my weight to simply hold people down, I usually keep a lot of my weight on my knees and elbows.

I still get tired of hearing people whine about my size but have no issues rolling with someone who dominates them using their flexibility or speed. :bang:

18. wiiire

wiiire Valued Member

I really don't mind training with girls - I prefer it in some ways - but the one thing I really can't stand is guys coming to class with aftershave on...

19. gfm

gfm New Member

my gripe is a bit petty, but I 'dislike' people in training who think a crank is just as good as a technical submission.

An example is when I have someone in my guard and they simply grab my head and pull until i feel my neck cranking etc. Another example is someone trying a cross-lapel choke only to crush my jaw for minutes on end. Although it results in a tap-out, it doesn't necessarily require any bjj-specific skill.

Petty I know, but i'm a bit of a purist. Otherwise, what's to stop me from inflicting 'any' pain I can to get a result of a tap-out

20. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I didn't like it when I put my friend in my guard and he stuck his fingers under my jawbone and pushed with all his might.

That really hurt!

:mad: