Your art's equivalent of slipping?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bon, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

In boxing, most of you probably know that boxers slip straight punches a lot.. so I was just wondering what your art's equivalent is? How do you karate, kung fu guys, etc. deal with them?

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

In FMA, we do the same slip, but our hands are usually checking their arm to monitor/prevent the elbow from clipping us and we're usually attacking simultaneously (i.e.: gunting, other destructions, or striking to the body/head/etc.)

Mike

3. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

in pekiti-tirsia, there's a lot of slipping in relation to other FMA styles. This is probably due to the fact that the style doesn't do a lot of blocking stick strikes, preferring to use footwork, body movement and control of the range to slip the strike and immediately counterattack.

I think the concept of slipping strikes can be found in all FMA styles.

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Cool, thanks for the replies!

Where's everyone else's replies? Are you saying you your art doesn't do anything and you just get hit in the head? ;)

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'd laugh, but some people would ;) I'm currently between styles until 6:00 tonight, and it's judo. We don't do ballistic strikes, or so I'm told.

6. stump

stump Supersub

Many other styles focus on keeping the head in a static position and trying to block anything that comes at it.....

strange but true

Isn't the reason the filipino styles developed such evasive movements due to the use of blades in fighting?

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

in the style of Kempo I study we use a few different evasive steps : a box step inside the punch, a crossover step outside a punch, a sidestep at a back angle out of range and off-line... probably a few more that I haven't used or don't rememeber right now...

8. stump

stump Supersub

How about head movement David?

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

As far I'm concerned there is nothing in TKD which is as effective as going to a kick/boxing class and being taught how to slip......so i did :D.

10. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Yes, I think so. All FMA styles can trace their lineage back to the use of blades and some in fact are still emphasizing on blades instead of sticks. And when dealing with blades, it's best to keep moving and stay out of the way until there's an opportunity to counter.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

We get into many kinds of "slipping" in Hapkido...
    - Sometimes we just slide outside (or inside) away from from the strike. If we slide back and outside (or inside) we open up kicking attacks. If we slide forward and out (or in) we open up for strikes and/or locks and throws.

- We use many forms of brush traps... one or two hands brushing inside or out as the situation happens. After we have drill the basiuc basic brushing a while, we try to turn it into a grab. Once we can brush and grab (trap), we then work different locks and takedowns we can use.

- As for offensive blocks, I don't use a lot but if the situation comes up where I can slide out and strike an extended elbow, I will. I prefer to avoid than contact... slide away from a strike than hard block it. If the strike is coming fast I will deflect and possibly go for a trap.

- In my opinion, the basic key of "slipping" is not what kind of "block" you use, but how you move your feet and body not only out of the way but into a set up for your next move, whether it is running away, striking, throwing , or locking (controlling).

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

we tend to use the boxing slip all the time. It tends to be one of the best ways to avoid a punch whilst maintaining good measure of your opponent

13. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

hmmmm.... not specifically, but getting out of the way is the principle, and that includes the head ;)

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. That makes sense to me. You get static when faced with a blade and you die - period. Good mobility is vital against a blade. A longer reaching weapon (i.e.: a 9MM at 50 yards but, failing that, a sword or stick) is nice, too, of course.

Mike

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aikido: go to the inside, or go to the outside.

We step "off the line" very much like in escrima.
    The ground track could be on a triangle, or on a circle.
    If we go to the inside, we first step off the line. Similar to a wing chun entry -- get off his center line while putting him on your own center line.

And whether we move in or out, we like to end up standing right next to the attacker, snuggly close.

16. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

In Kempo we use mostly boxers slip. Now we also block but we do it in conjunction with the slipping. Sometimes we place greater emphasis on the slipping and sometimes more on the block, although mostly its the slip to avoid a punch and a block to parry slightly.