You Xuan De?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by onyomi, Jul 27, 2005.

1. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Has anyone heard of him? He is supposedly the 14th-generation successor of Wudang martial arts and is currently teaching at Wudang-shan. I was under the impression that real Wudang martial arts only remain primarily in Xingyi, Bagua, and to some extent Taiji and that what they teach at Wudang now is just modified Shaolin. The couple of videos I've seen of people practicing at modern Wudang would seem to back up this view to me... but I've never seen any videos of You Xuan De himself.

Does anyone know anything about this guy or his credentials? Know anyone who has met or studied with him? To what, if any, extent do you feel his so-called Wudang martial arts are legit?

2. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

On the english speaking internet I can only find some videos of his, nothing about him really. I dont know the characters so I can't look up in Chinese, but it seems to me that all of his adverts for videos stress the fact that he's Daoist way too much.

If I can get a clip or something I'll blip it to you

3. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

It's "you" like play (as in youxi), "xuan" like dark/obtuse (as in xuanmiao) and "de" like virtue (as in daode). I've searched both in English and Chinese but can only find adverts for a few DVDs he has out. I'd like to find something a bit more objective or possibly some clips from these DVDs before buying one of them. I must admit I'm a bit put off by the fancy Daoist clothes he always seems to be wearing, but then again, actual Daoists do still go around dressed like that sometimes, so it might not just be for show.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I have seen him in a National Geographic documentary on Wudang.
    He's the head honcho, so to speak - there were also interviews with other practicioners and elders. Seemed pretty authentic to me. And his skills looked v. good.

5. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Apparently the place is more of a tourist attraction now.

Power of the $.

6. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I know Wudang-shan (like the Shaolin temple, btw) has become more of a tourist attraction now, but I'm just wondering if he's a real Daoist martial artist that was appointed to be head of a tourist attraction or if he's a tourist attraction that plays the part of a Daoist martial artist.

7. gerard

gerard Valued Member

These clotes are better for qi flow. They are more than fancy clothes. However you won't need them. It's a personal thing. Some yogis are naked and don't need anything at all ;)

Look at this Daoists (hermit above, wandering one below), they are not wearing any silk mandarin suits and I bet you their qi will blast you off straight up to the moon :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

My real question, though, is about You Xuande--is he the real deal? I suppose it's impossible to know without meeting him in person, but I just want to hear if anyone has anything else to say about him or his school before I spring for one of his DVDs.

Also, I bet if I was a weathered old Chinese man with a long white beard and pipe that I could get Gerard to believe anything I said.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

To be fair Onyomi i see no reason that he wouldn't be the 'real deal'
    I think we have to accept the commercial side in life today - if handled right - as I would expect in this case, you shouldn't let it put you off, just on that criteria.

Again from what I saw he seems the genuine article, and had the teaching you would expect an inheritor of such a position to have.

As to 'how good?' Like you say very hard to know either way. But we can give him the benefit of the doubt, just as we would anyone else.

10. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Onyomi,

You need much to learn.

11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Yes, I do have much to learn--as do you, no doubt.

12. gerard

gerard Valued Member

No doubt but I haven't learnt from you yet whereas you did from me.

Let me refresh your memory a bit:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34981

I guess humans are the only creatures that make the same mistakes twice.

Remember karma is watching you Onyomi.

All the best.

13. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Here is something that may interest you all.

I have recently returned from a training trip in china, in which time i spent 10 days (I know, short time) in a school in Wudang.
    I had watched the national geographic documentry on Wudang so I asked my master about Master You and the other masters on the documentry.
    My master said that hes pretty sure Master You did learn in the lineage of Taoist martial arts, but as for being the head of Wudang? Certainly not! He is the headmaster of a Wudang gongfu school, but the documentry made out that his school was in the temple. His school isnt even on the mountain range, it was on the outskirts Wudangshan village (know as Laoying). Actually I should say WAS. Master You left Wudang a few years ago and his school has since closed down.
    My master was quick to point out to me that Master You was mainly all talk, he said a lot of things about being the lineage holder and about real wudang gong fu. Even though he seems to demonstrate a lot apprantly he talked even more.

Also, the clip featured Master Wang, he is extremely good at the daoist martial arts, but he doesnt live at Wudang. He mainly lives and has since headed back up north.

Any more questions, cause I learnt a fair bit about Wudang lineage while I was up there, fire away.

Peace

14. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

So, who, if anyone, would you or your master say practices authentic Wudang martial arts? Are you saying You Xuan De's teaching style is too much talk or that he is "all talk," so to speak? Who was the head of the school when you were there? Were you impressed by the quality of instruction you received there? What specific styles did you study? Thanks in advance. :)

15. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Well, like most chinese masters in most chinese schools, he would say he does. Although he does have a claim to it along with the other senior instructors at the school as they practiced at the school when it was in one of the Wudang temples.

I didnt quite gather in what sense my master meant it, but from what I gathered he was too much talk.

I never quite got who was the head of my school, as it used to be an actualy school run by and inside the Wudang temple but they moved it and someone brought it up, but its still kinda run by the temples. Information can be found at www.wtkfa.org (fancy website I know)

My master was an excellent instructor and really nice guy. He never minds showing you a move again, always show you ways to improve. He is also very knowledgable about the history of Wudang and the styles taught there and how they can be used in fighting.

I studied Xing Yi while I was there, learning the five basic fists. They teach both wudang arts and the extended family of daoist arts like Xing yi, Bagua, Baji etc. On the last few days there I was just going to hike round the mountains but there was serious flooding, so I stayed in the school and hanged round and learnt some Bagua and Baji from the teachers.

Theres a lot more to say about the school, but if you have any questions after looking at the website just ask.

Quite alright :D