you tube'd some vids

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

In regards to the videos, I like them all but I don't necessarily like all the techniques exactly how they were done.

As per my previous post... experience and strong character play a bigger role in the outcome of a real world situation than does training. I like the knife defense videos, for instance, because there is a show of experienced martial artists in them. Like that they don't leave themselves open to attacks from the other hand (the hand that isn't holding the knife). This kind of thing you get from experience, from the experience of someone trying to hit you with their other hand during training perhaps, or maybe from real world, but nevertheless it is learned through experience.

As was stated by others, this comes down to the principles. And the videos do show principles in action.

On the other hand, some of the techniques I did not like because they stopped at the control point (they stopped after exhibiting control over the attacker) but did not follow through strongly in the video, probably stopping for safety reasons maybe or that the attacker was not fully resisting at that point (basically gave up the fight rather than forcing the defender to put them down against heavy resistance). At first I thought the attacker was not trying hard enough to resist (lack of experience), but I was corrected when I was informed that the attacker was acknowledging the defenders techniques so as not to be seriously injured during the training (and in fact the attacker had a good level of experience, which changed how I viewed the videos).

However I can live with my personal issues with what I've seen because I can see the principles and experience demonstrated. I put more weight into that experience thus I consider the videos to be very good in that light.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

liokault why so anti-shotokan?

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I don't like it either tbh... (now watch him become a fan... ;) )

4. Angelus

tbh?

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

tbh = to be honest

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I'm not anti Shotokan.

I am sure that it is a historically sound style of Karate, that achieves its goals well.

Sadly, they goals that it achieves are those of spreading MA from Okinawa to Japan, which necessitates transforming Shotokan into a style that can to taught to mass crowds and school children.

This does not make for a 'practical' MA.

Having said that, millions of people get a great deal of enjoyment from Shotokan, and Terry O'Neal was a man to be feared :D

7. Sroberts

Sroberts Valued Member

"No art can survive if it is not effective"
    Go down to your local Success martial arts class and NEVER say that again.

Alex is in Thailand, Chris in Gloucester, I'm in swindon (not that i'd be much help but i could try to show you some slap fu)....

other than that post a video of yourself, i always love the opportunity to learn about new things. If you've got good knife defence, show it. :)

Cheers
    sam

Ps i think i was wang shu jin who said karate was only good for fighting women and children :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  8. middleway

middleway Valued Member

agreed mate.

regards
    chris

9. middleway

middleway Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8aybs7D7W0"]YouTube[/ame]

here are some basic ba gua aps from last nights class.

thoughts appreciated as always.

Cheers peeps!

Chris

10. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

Bagua looks cool, do you plan to teach the palm changes etc ?

11. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ....... maybe ... the guys asked last night for the same thing......

maybe .....

;)

cheers
    Chris

12. Sroberts

Sroberts Valued Member

you could show them the changes you learned from rob locker....

I like those ones..

sam

13. middleway

middleway Valued Member

No no ........ THEY ARE SECRET ....... damn you sam ....

:D

Chris

14. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

cool :cool:

I have been trying to remember single change, but i have lost it somewhere along the way along with my marbles.

15. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ha ha ha ... ok mate.

we will go over it at the next tai chi lesson.

Cheers
    Chris

16. Angelus

Well im not talking about a McDojoised version of shotokan...
    Same can be said about ALL other arts. You go to a McDojo you get McDojo level skills. I was asking some soldiers who were trying to recruit at our university about the relevance of hand to hand combat in a battlefield senario. Of course they said its not extremely important because ud rather shoot than punch but apprently in Afghanistan soldiers resorted to using even their knives and bare hands when fighting in the caves because they were fighting in mass numbers at point blank range. Any ways i just thought that would be a little interseting. I think the US and Canadian armies follow the same hand to hand combat training system. Its called MCAP or something - im not too sure the guy said things in such a hurry- like that. Well he did mention that is mas consited of shotokan and boxing and various wrestling styles...that had been adapted for the needs of soldiers in combat.

17. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

The US Army follows the Combatives program, which is NOT shotokan. The USMC follows MCMAP, which is probably the anagram you were looking for, which is also not shotokan. If you know of an actual armed forces unit that does primarily follow shotokan (as opposed to one that has a few members that independantly train in shotokan) I would be interested to hear.

As far as the videos go, I think they look great. I love seeing "IMA" with more active training methods. And the beng chuan to the ribs was awesome :)

18. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Hi Mapster's,

As a practitioner, student and researcher of Karate, ( Wado and Ashihara ) and jujutsu and Taiji ( Wu ), over a 25 year period, in my humble opinion, all are completely useless for knife defence. If you perchance are acosted by a drunken thug with a three inch pen knife, then perhaps you might stand a chance in defending yourself and escaping with only a few slight nicks. However, If you come up against someone who really knows what they're doing, then your fillet steak, no IF's, no BUT's.

The only way to learn how to realistically defend the knife is to learn to fight with it and in this regard you need to either train in the Filipino or Indonesian arts or a similar art that encompasses knife training. Sorry, but neither Shotokan nor Taiji cut the mustard ( sic ).

Jaae

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Fundamentally, if a guy has a knife, is within range, you cannot run and he intends to cut you, even if he has only a rudimentary idea of how to use a knife, the chances are that you will get cut and badly. No amount of empty hand training will change this, not even empty hand vs knife training.

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Umbrella fu. Don't leave home without it.