You Think You're Tough?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitch, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Smaug97 likes this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Had to be a mata leao choke.

Mitch likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Isn't the correct name for a mountin lion a cougar (Puma concolor)?

Insert lynx effect joke here!

Mitch and Smaug97 like this.
  4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

5. Dead_pool

Edit, I was wrong!

Cougar - Wikipedia

"
    With its vast range across the length of the Americas, P. concolor has dozens of names and various references in the mythology of the indigenous Americans and in contemporary culture. Currently, it is referred to as "puma" by most scientists[22] and by the populations in 21 of the 23 countries in the Americas.[23] "Puma" is the common name in Spanish or Portuguese-speaking countries but the cat has many local or regional names in the United States and Canada, of which cougar, puma, and mountain lion are popular.[24] "Mountain lion" was a term first used in writing in 1858 from the diary of George Andrew Jackson of Colorado.[25] Other names include catamount (probably a contraction from "cat of the mountain"), mountain screamer, and painter. Lexicographers regard painter as a primarily upper-Southern US regional variant on panther.[26]

P. concolor holds the Guinness record for the animal with the greatest number of names, with over 40 in English alone.[27]

"Cougar" is borrowed from the Portugueseçuçuarana, via French; the term was originally derived from the Tupi language. A current form in Brazil is suçuarana.[28] In the 17th century, German naturalist Georg Marcgravenamed the cat the cuguacu ara. Marcgrave's rendering was reproduced in 1648 by his associate, Dutch naturalist Willem Piso. Cuguacu ara was then adopted by English naturalist John Ray in 1693.[29] The French naturalist Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon in 1774 (probably influenced by the word "jaguar") converted the cuguacu ara to cuguar, which was later modified to "cougar" in English.[30][31][32]

The first English record of "puma" was in 1777, where it had come from the Spanish, who in turn borrowed it from the Peruvian Quechua language in the 16th century, where it means "powerful".[33]"

6. Dead_pool

axelb and David Harrison like this.
  7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Basically it bit his arm and he stepped on its throat until it let go.....which is still pretty dang impressive since we are talking a Cougar already biting his arm.

I worked a tree farm that had a cougar on it and we carried things like a 44 magnum in the event it decided to get to close. Also had a resident big, old male, black bear too but he was of no real concern, and possibly the reason the cougar was never around much

8. Dead_pool

"They estimated that the cat was only a few months old, and although its state made it hard to determine its exact size, they believe it was between 35-40 lbs and about 4 ft long."

Although to be fair

A) it had already bit him
    B) I've had to restrain a slightly crazy bengal leopard cat, with its owner to get it to the vets, and did worse than this guy did!

Edit, it was worse caus I got bit and scratched badly, I didn't injure or kill it, so in some ways I did better...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    axelb and ned like this.
  9. ned

ned Valued Member

Typical yanks exaggerating again,
    I've said a million times they should be more modest and unassuming like us British !

10. Xue Sheng

Where's the fun in that...let me tell you about the time I wrestled a bear.......and when I tracked a moose to a swamp AND a cougar.... :D

ned, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sounds like your typical Friday night

axelb, Xue Sheng and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Dead_pool

Thats two very different nightclubs right?

Xue Sheng likes this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've had a few run-ins with predatory cougars. :D:D

Mitch, Monkey_Magic, axelb and 2 others like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

could be :D

Actually the Bear is a long ago ex-girlfriends Newfoundland whose name was bear..looked a lot like this... I lost by the way...bear won...my head lock was rather ineffective.....he threw me over his back like I was a ragdoll

[​IMG]

But the trailing the moose only to come upon a set of cougar tracks also trailing the moose.....well that was a stupid High school kid trick I did in New Hampshire...many many years ago...did I let the cougar tracks dissuade me... nooooooo.... I didn't give up until the moose walked right through a swamp and the cougar went around the swamp, and I tried to follow the moose and went up to my knees in mud.... then I gave up...after I got out of the mud

axelb likes this.
  15. ned

ned Valued Member

Well I once wrestled an angry squirrel then punched a badger
    --Brian May was not impressed !

David Harrison and Mitch like this.
  16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I saw a "Gracie Breakdown" video that says dude killed the cougar by getting knee on belly, and then trying to stab it with a stick, but the stick broke, so he tried a rock to the head, but the cougar wasn't having any of that, so he switched to foot on the throat, and that's how he "strangled" it -- pressing his foot on the throat until it stopped struggling.

Knee on belly on a wild mountain lion -- wow, dude is serious bad ass.

17. Dead_pool

18. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I fought off a cougar myself when I was younger.
    She was quite drunk though, so I didn't sustain any injuries. :)

Mitch, axelb and Anwolf like this.
  19. Xue Sheng

That ain’t nuthin’
    I also wrestled an angry squirrel AND I fought an angry opossum and kick it out of my garage :D

20. Tman

Tman Valued Member

It was a kitten.