You might find this Interesting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Bruce W Sims, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Dear Folks:

I am going to ask the Mods to indulge me in a bit of cross-posting. I had originally posted this annc over on the Hapkido area since I am engaged in an on-going series of projects concerning YEON MU KWAN Hapkido. One of the clips is the basic or introductory Staff form which focuses on basic staff handling and footwork. (There are an intermediate and advanced form as well.) Another of the clips is SA BANG JEOK SAL GEOM BEOP (lit: "Sword Methods Against a Crowd") which is the second-to-last freeform before BON KUK GEOM BEOP which is the last of the SSANGSOODO hyung before the shift to TO and GEOM. Some prefer to do CHOSON SEBEOP with a two-handed sabre and I may include that before moving on to single-handed items albeit as part of a presentation on validation cutting. FWIW.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4671349/12486240

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4671576/12486802

Best Wishes,

Bruce

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Hey Bruce,

You know to me that first vidio looks more like a spear form than a staff form. If you have a spear try it out I think it will make sense to you. There is alot of poking and it looks like some throwing movements also. I'm not saying that it definitely is a spear form but the techniques look very similar to KSW spear form. Nice form none the less.

The sword forms to me looks rudimental for a fifth dan level. At what level do students start learning sword in Hapkido? Don't get me wrong you have good control over the weapon and you are attacking in four directions so I get that. I guess my point is that if you are "against a crowd" I would expect more defensive movements in the form and also some evasive movements maybe some circling and or side stepping and much more cutting.

IMO it is very basic sword work, for fifth dan I would expect more fluidity and connectivity of the movements, and more variity of techniques.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I won't comment any further on these because I have nothing positive to say. My knowledge of staff is rudimentary. It looked to me more like a spear form too. The sword, well I've said what I think before no point repeating myself.

The Bear.

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

This has been done already. There is already a thread existing on this topic, therefore this is unnecessary.

If you wish to post additional material, kindly please do so in the thread already existing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.