You Know What's Really Annoying...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Korpy, May 10, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok I'm trying to look for Jiu Jitsu dojos by me. I look, and the search pulls up Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

I was like I don't want that, I want traditional/Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

So I look again, and the same thing happens.

Then I try to look up the history on Jiu Jitsu.

And all the comes up is Brazillian Jiujitsu and BJJ academies, and stuff like that.

I can't even find what I was looking for because everyone has stuff about BJJ everywhere! Ughhh!

I like BJJ, but it's like I can't even find anything about traditional/Japaense Jiu Jitsu.

2. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

why not just take bjj? bjj might not be your first choice, but it's an effective martial art that is also fun. training in bjj is better than not training at all, though i'm not sure if you are training in another art at the moment.
    the randori aspect of bjj is what people become addicted to despite the fact they tap many, many times before showing any semblance of real improvement.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm going to be taking Taekwondo soon.

I know BJJ is popular, but I don't care. I think it's cool. But I rather do Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

BJJ is really cool.

But I mean if someone starts a fight on a sidewalk, what are you gonna do? Put him in an arm bar on the street? Sort of weird.

I want to learn BJJ someday, but when I 'm searching for Japanese Jiujitsu, I want that, don't bring up BJJ stuff.

4. faster than you

why are you so intent on learning jjj?
    bjj is also capable of working well in standing altercations.

i'll bring up what i want.
    don't let a romance for the far east cloud your decisions.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

What on Earth are you talking about at the end of your post?

I don't want to talk about BJJ. It's cool, but not want I want now, I want JJJ.

I prefer JJJ.

And trust me, someday a martial artist will find a way to counter BJJ easily.

6. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I kind of doubt that. BJJ is a good MA and its students are high calibre.

However, your problem probably stems from the fact that you spell JJ wrong. It's either Jujutsu or Jujitsu. BJJ guys spell it JiuJitsu so that's probably why they turn up in searches.

BJJ and JJJ have quite a technique overlap so you'll study arm bars and ground techniques like the triangle choke, rnc etc in JJJ as well, depending on the school. (Different schools will have very different syllabuses)

It probably doesn't matter which one you choose.

BJJ and JJJ same basis, different focus.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you.

8. Heron

Heron New Member

I understand EXACTLY what you mean. I live in Baton Rouge during the school year because I go to LSU, however this summer I'm going home to Houston. I figured, no big deal right? Houston is huge there is bound to be a bunch of JJJ dojo's around me right... wrong. Everytime I search for anything to do with Ju Jitsu, I only get BJJ. Even when I spell it Ju Jutsu which is technically correct, I only get BJJ.

I have taken BJJ before, and I didn't like it. I've actually taken it a bunch of different places and I didn't like the atmosphere anywhere. Everytime I showed up it was a bunch of muscle bound idiots who dind't care about anything except how they could break their friends arms.

And IMO, I think JJJ would be more effective in the street. The point stands that if you are out in public chances are it is not goning to be a clean one on one. I personally would prefer not having to roll around on the floor of the bar, for the simple reason I've seen friends get their face kicked in by people who weren't even involved. Merely drunk and felt like kicking something. BJJ artists call pure strikers fish out of water when they take them to the ground, couldn't it be said that they are fish out of water when they can't go to the ground?

Just my opinion. I'm not talking down on BJJ, as it is a very efficient art. However I don't like a lot of the glorified trends it is taking.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yeah, woo!

Heron that's how I feel.

I mean BJJ is cool, but alot of people who take just want to learn how to break bones, and attack people, not learn self defence.

I just search for Jujutsu and the Japanese terms and even though I got some JJJ links, there was just as much for BJJ.

10. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

I'm more in it because of what a fun sport it is, but for the record I think learning how to break people's bones and choke them unconcious, not to mention the occasional tearing of tendons, could be considered applicable for self defense.

11. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

BJJ v JJJ

You must remember that BJJ was basically a child of Judo and therefore has been developed for a combat sporting environment. Where JJJ was developed for empty handed warfare environment. However one should bare in mind that JJJ was developed in Japan which througout its history was very isolated, and therefore some of the techniques used in JJJ may no longer be pratical are are only taught for nostalga. Also remember all of the techniques in BJJ are in JJJ and should be taught by a good school. It really depends on the teacher you have. It should also be noted that all military and police force tactics when it comes to hand to hand have been influenced by JJJ a lot. However in fighting one goes to the ground basically as a last resort basically when they do not have a choice and then usually the other person is brought down by then person on the ground if they cannot get back up. In a street fight you want to be as fast and powerful as you can. When someone falls to the ground in a fight stomping and heavy kicking usually starts, also in a street fight weapons can be used. There could also be a third person who become involved. A good BJJ should teach self-defence aspects which will be different from the sportive aspects. One of the good things about BJJ is their live training / sparring which starts from day one. One of the problems with JJJ is that some schools don't encourage sparring and are more involved with kata. The best things is to find a good school. Judo has suffered badly from the sportive aspect as anyone will tell you who done judo in the 70s compared to now. The sport aspect is so heavy in Judo that some schools don't even teach the striking aspects of jujdo.

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I just prefer JJJ.

Although BJJ is cool.

13. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Why are you so intent that he learns BJJ? And why would an interest in the far east, romantic or not cloud his judgement. Kind of depends on what his view of reality is I suppose.

That said, I train JJJ and want to train BJJ as well, but heh. It's really up to him and he seems to be pretty set that he wants to train JJJ. Tipping is ok. Arguing that choosing JJJ over BJJ is wrong because you seem to have fallen in love with Japanese stuff isn't really very helpful.

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well I like the art. I like alot of arts and want to study someday.

Also one of the semi reasons is because I love Eastern culture, arts, food, history, and martial arts. And movies.

My family calls me David Carradine Jr.

I'm 14 and I just know what arts I want to study.

I like Taekwondo, Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, Muay Thai, Aikido, Shotokan Karate, Iaido, Kung Fu (Wing Chun, and Animal Styles) Kumdo, Hapkido, and Brazillian Jiujitsu.

But I live in the real world, so I can do only so much.

And I'm taking Taekwondo this summer.

I plan in my future to take Hapkido, Kumdo, Jujutsu, and Judo.

15. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Listen buddy, you don't have to justify your reasons for doing MA to anyone.

I do TKD because I enjoy it. I realise that it's about the last thing I want to use in an SD situation and that I couldn't beat a BJJ guy but I like TKD so I do it.

No one can tell me that's wrong.

So don't worry about it, and good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll find something soon.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Why thank you Leo.

I want to the the ma's I want and I shouldn't have to explain, I just like them.

17. faster than you

personally, i don't care what m.a. korpy studies; however, i do want to know why he is so hell bent on taking jjj especially since there appear to be no good jjj schools around him.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Someday I do want to learn BJJ though.

19. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Chances are the Traditional styles/schools don't come up on the internet because they are probably a lot less business minded than the BJJ schools. They may actually not have a web-site!!!

If you really want to find a school in your area you may have to go back to the "pre-technology" method. Buy a martial arts magazine and phone some of the organisations in the clubs list and ask if they know of anything in your area. If not, try searching for Judo clubs and giving them a call, they may well know of some organisation in your area?

That's how I found my first ever club...

P.s Do a search using the "traditional" spellings...Jujitsu or Jujutsu NOT "Jiu". That may help

20. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

They already found a way to defend against BJJ, it's called using a weapon. that's way i like modern kali, the stickgrappling is taken from BJJ/Shooto, so you can defend against BJJ and still use a weapon.

Mullins