You knock that down, God's monkey army built it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by pj_goober, Sep 14, 2007.

1. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'd say if that sort of thing astounds you (especially in India) then you haven't been out much.

India has to be one of the most fiercely religious countries in the world. They are right up at the top in terms of religious strife! The Hindus, the Muslims, the Sikhs and every other group makes for an explosive mixture in a place like India.

I'm not the slightest bit shocked by this at all. Get to India or for that matter much of South Asia and then you might understand it. ;)

After giving that story a close read... I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if there weren't a whole lot of other factors at play in the issue besides religion. Often in India religious fervor is stoked to a fever pitch by powerful individuals or groups for their own financial and political gain. I suspect this wouldn't be much different.

Perhaps I'm only surprised the Hindus didn't manage to blame the Muslims for this and then a small scale war started.... as if often the case in India.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think it's highly unlikely that the land bridge in question was built by an army of monkeys. But it's a nice story.

4. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

I haven't been to india or Asia (much as I would want to) so no, maybe not in the best position to comment on the religious/political situation there. Still surprises me that anyone in a position of political power somewhere in the world still literally believes that a land bridge was built by God or his monkey army (and even if they do believe it - why does it make any difference surely God made everything else to?)

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It doesn't matter how it got there, the point is it is obviously a significant part of the cultural heritage, mythology and history of the region.

The bridge should stay. I hope it stays, even though i don't know the first thing about it!
    In Cyprus there is a Rock in the sea. It is known as the rock of Aphrodite. Of course there is a story of how it got there.

Point is it is a significant part of the islands heritage and culture. Knocking it down for any reason is unthinkable really, and rightly so. But not because people believe the Godess literally put it there.

People like mythology. Dare i say, get over it! :)

6. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Don't get me wrong, if its culturally interesting and important then I hope it doesn't get destroyed, that would be a shame. But just not because Gods Monkey army built it.

7. slipthejab

Whether or not the person in that post literally believes it... we may never know. I wouldn't be all that shocked by it frankly... religion is pretty hard to separate out of culture... I don't really ever see that happening in India. At least not where the BJP has a say. A religious/political mafia if ever there was one.

It's part and parcel with peoples lives from the moment they are born to the moment they die. But what we can pretty much bet on is that anyone in a political post is not going to do anything to jeopardize the votes in their constituency. Politics as usual

Another thing that struck me right off about the situation... this land bridge they're looking to dismantle is in Southern India... the Archaeological survey and the seat of government are in Delhi... in general the further away you get from Delhi the more resistant they are to any changes handed out by the central government. This is a classic problem for India. The entire N. East of India is really only Indian by name sake and the force of arms... given their way pretty much all of the N.East would break away into one state or another. Even today it's a powder keg that Delhi deals with very gingerly lest it blow up in her face. I wouldn't be surprised if the south had just as much animosity towards rule from Delhi as well.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

A Hindu God. So saying 'Gods Monkey army' is a bit misleading. Hindu gods are more akin to deities or the pantheon of Greek Gods. Not a creator God like that of Christian theology say.

So i don't think the last bit applies. I don't know the mythology, but i doubt any political powers take it literally. What they do take heed of is public opinion which for the most part is something they want to stay on the right side of.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

All I'm getting from this thread is the thought of how much I'd like to have my very own monkey army. All the things I could do...! :cool:

10. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

You are obviously not very well traveled.

There are plenty of places undergoing the same struggles. In the US, there is plenty of bickering over sacred sites between the government and developers and Native Americans. Sometimes what appears to be just a pile of stones to western eyes has huge cultural significance to the people who live there. This is especially true when you have a centralized and paternalistic government which isn't indigenous to the area and has a history of running rough shod over the people in question. A situation that is probably just as true in India as it is in Chinle, Az and Uluru or Ayers Rock in Aus.

11. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

You could build a seemingly natural rock formation........ :D

12. slipthejab

We've got one as our commander-in-chief... and well.... you know the rest... :p

Attached Files:

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Well, someone did have my very own monkey army, AND were the star of their very own TV show!

I'm insanely jealous. :D

Attached Files:

14. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I thought the issue was that the government withdrew the plans in order to avoid unrest not because they actually believed it? :confused:

I skim read the article so if I'm way off tell me.

15. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Do you think it was designed by a blind piano tuner?

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yeah, yeah great question cos that's what this thread is really about. :)

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I dunno 'bout that pet :D

Attached Files: