You guys are great thanks for opening up my eyes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by yannick35, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That was my view also.

Then the NHS failed my son and I tried something different. As you can tell it changed my view. I can see why you would be skeptial but if you'd had a long term condition that your doctors couldn't fix you might be looking at it differently.

2. Topher

Topher allo!

The fact that what he done has some positive effect on some people doesn't prove the wider claims being made (either his or his profession), nor does it prove that anything object is taking place. If the alternative medicine practitioner said that there's no real scientific evidence for what they do but some people do find it helps them then that wouldn't be so bad and it would be up to the individual to decide. However it's not good when it claimed that it works/is effective [objectively] or when people pretend there is evidence for it, and when people try to justify alternative medicine by downplaying science as the big and evil industry which doesn't care about people and uses terms like 'allopathy' well that's simply dishonest.

I've never undergone any alternative treatment but I've also never undergone cancer treatment, yet I can say quite confidently that cancer treatment has evidence to support it while alt. medicine does not.

Although I would be willing to try alt. medicine in the future. I have a small numb area on the left side of my chin/jaw as the result of a operation last year (will likely be permanent) which sounds prefect for Chiro or Acupuncture to try and fix. That'll be a good test to see if a back massage/adjustment or needles do anything.

I never said that. What I'm saying is if 100 GPs endorsed an alternative medicine yet that alternative medicine consistently showed up negative in clinical trials, I'd go with the results of the trials.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

From doing a bit of googling the Nhs already spends £50 million on complementory medicine.

Why do you think there haven't been any medical testing of these procedures. Hospitals have even been testing aromatherapy in the fight against MRSA.

The biggest problem seems to be that as each treatment is often tailored to the patient so it is impossible to have a control subject. I'm sure they'll sort themselves out in a few years.

Found this :rolleyes:

A short history of medicine. "I have earache..." 2000BC: Here, eat this root. 1000AD: That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer. 1850AD: Prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion. 1940AD: That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill. 1985AD: That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic. 2000AD: That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.

4. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

CK,
    Thank you for clarifying your pov, it took long enough for me to understand what you were saying :D
    I completely agree and now understand what you mean, I thank you for clarifying this. It seems we were almost saying the same ideas just in a different context. I think so long as things are not presented to patients within a false pretext this is very important. I know from some exp. that some patients come to me wanting the "new agey treatment" so they almost expect "esoteric" discussion. However, there are those that don't want such so I do tell them what some alternative therapies have been shown to do (acupuncture for example releasing pain suppressing endorphins and other hormones, rather than the Qi concept).

I also fully understand that many that may be helped are helped by placebo, but on the other hand I also know that it is nearly impossible for 100% of those treated to ALL be placebo effect. There is always something more there and that is the basis and drive for future study in all modalities.