You can't learn Bujinkan from video

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by The Unholy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Not at all. But that is not what you stated. You stated it is literally the first thing you learn (ukemi aside) and that's what I questioned.

2. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Semantics.

I know what he meant. It is just I have seen too many idiotic students to think that someone who wants to impress others more than be a real student to think that they do not have a real teacher is the only explanation available.

3. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

I wasn't trying to pick on him. I was merely curious as to why he sincerely wanted to train with SKH, as SKH is to "ninjutsu" as jwills79 is to "Hooked On Phonics".

- Mark Spada

4. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Wolf,

Here's Stephen K Hayes' website: www.skhquest.com. There are also some Toshindo members on this forum. Maybe they can help you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

:hat:

p.s. Don't worry about people giving you a hard time. They're just jealous of Mr. Hayes' jacket collection.

5. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

You're absolutely right. I mean, just take a look at his ensemble in this:

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCjKfo8rkJM"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCjKfo8rkJM[/ame]

You can easily see that it would virtually impossible not to take him seriously. :rolleyes:

- Mark Spada

6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Considering he was practicing sword techniques, his ensemble suggests he was projecting a fire element attitude. Very cool.

7. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Really? Looked more like a fat guy from Ohio playing with a nerf bat while dressed as Santa Claus attitude to me.

- Mark spada

8. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Not to drag this out because it's not very important but we're not talking about semantics here. He stated "Off line angling is literally the first thing you learn", so my possibly disagreeing isn't an issue of semantics.

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

None of his elves seemed to be able to cut without giving away their balance....

:rolleyes:

10. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Isn't it though? I mean you can disagree and that's fine, but you understand what I mean to say, don't you? Maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit to drive home the point, but that doesn't change the fact that they didn't even try to do it, which tells me that they don't know they're supposed to. Which in turn tells me that it's unlikely he's been studying under a 7th dan for 11 months. Even people with terrible teachers, attempt angling even if it doesn't work out well. I could show you a million terrible videos on youtube right now, but none that I feel so clearly exemplify the topic.

His claims, while marginally relevant, are ultimately immaterial as I posted the video as an example of the kind of thing you might see(based on the missing substance), if you were watching someone who learned solely from video. It doesn't really have any bearing whether my theory is correct about this particular person, the result on video is what I wanted to talk about.

If you don't agree, I'd love to hear why...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  11. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Not something I needed to see before coffee. :cry:

Why some guys want to dress more Japanese than the Japanese is beyond me. I guess it brings in the narutards. RVD has a silly outfit as well in his ads. What the heck is wrong with wearing more natural clothes if you are trying to convince folks that you are doing a form of ninjutsu for the modern day?

The sad thing is, this is far from the silliest outfit I have seen. Someone asked me about a guy posing on the beach shirtless with a red hakama on. Those that have spent time in Japan can imagine the giggles I had since the only people I can think of wearing red hakama now are the shrine maidens.

12. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Well yes, you do see a lot of bad things from video course students. It is not what you know you do not know that is the problem, it is the stuff that you do not even know you have no knowledge of that is harmful. That is why you need a teacher, especially at the start. You need someone with experience to catch all the things you miss and rub your nose in it.

On the other hand, there are still some pretty idiotic students and teachers out there. Teachers that learn things from videos and try to pass if along to their students..... students that insist on doing their own thing instead of what the teacher is doing....etc.

But really, even though you might ignore what a teacher is saying and end up like those idiots, your point is valid that without a teacher you are pretty assured of ending up like them.

13. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Santa Claus wears a gold belt and jika-tabi? I guess everyone is catching the Ninja craze. :D

14. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

It isn't nice to go around chopping up Santa Claus. This is kyojitsu which is like life which is like kyojutsu which is like "Be like water, my friend".

:hat:

15. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/bujinkan/dkms/sokeandhisson.jpg

Add purple hair to the mix and the fashion disaster is complete.

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

What's wrong with purple hair? It'd go perfectly with some of the authentic ninja master outfits out there. Doesn't the purple hair signify mastery? A lot of people out there with master credentials on their websites....

17. Wolf3001

Wolf3001 Valued Member

I don't have any options where I live Karate is far more common and im not a fan of the schools here or around the area. I don't have many ideas as to who would be considered good as a teacher of Ninja arts. I say Steven K Hayes because he is the one im familiar with seeing as how we have a book at our library with him and Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi. I have read various things on them both but because of the 80s Ninja craze it's hard to figure out who knows what. It's like Karate everyone seems to know it but who really know. I was told once there was a guy here who did Ninjutsu but I never found out anything. Im interested in various weapons and things but im sure not to many actually teach much more than hand to hand and a few weapons.

18. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I understand how hard it must be for you to figure out who is telling the truth, who is padding his resume and who is an outright fraud.

My advice is to pay attention to what goes on here for a while. Certain people will be treated in certain ways by most of the posters. Some people might not like others, and opinion will be divided. But if you talk about someone like Greg Park, Frank Dux or Ron Collins, the opinion will be pretty much negative expect for one or two idiots/trolls. It might help out.

19. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Maybe you could start a new thread and tell people where you're from and what you're looking for? People here might be able to recommend a dojo.

20. emaaoz

emaaoz Valued Member

I've given up trying to catch up with this thread so I'll just dump my opinion out there for what it's worth.

Can you learn a martial art from media?

Yes. Demonstrably yes you can.*

Is the art you have learnt the same as the one practiced by the person who created the media?

Probably not.

As one of the first generation WMA instructors of the current craze I have spent the last 15 or so years trying to recreate a martial art from written work. I am getting to the point where I am happy with what I have got. I'm not convinced it would look right to the originator of the art, but I suspect it would be close enough to be recognised. And I know it works.

However...

Can you learn BBT from media?

I seriously doubt it. You might learn some techniques that look similar, but it won't be BBT, it will be your interpretation of someone else's take on BBT. Not the same thing at all.

* If you are willing to spend years and years studying the media, experimenting time and time again on a variety of people. If you are willing to assume that if it isn't working you have messed it up yet again. If you are willing to drop all your preconceived notions about what it is you are going to learn. If you are willing to dedicate your every spare moment to it for decades yes you can learn "an" art from media.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010