You can't learn Bujinkan from video

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by The Unholy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

I understand...

...if you have the time/inclination later, there's a whole lot more to the video, really the meat of what I'm trying to illustrate.

2. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Well I did, and that is seven and a half minutes I will never get back.

Yes the video made me wince worse than the thought of my grandmother in a bukkake video. But aside from that part where they stick their tushies out in a static stance, I can't think of anything they did that could not go on in a real dojo if you take into account that maybe,

They have a terrible teacher.

They are idiots that like to do their own thing rather than listed to a teacher (and are thus more likely to post videos of themselves on youtube.) And,

They have only been doing it for 11 months.

The stances are big because it was static and I can't imagine someone doing that around me without me pointing out the correct way to stand. Everything else can probably be chalked up to them just not being very bright and their lack of experience.

3. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Grandma in a bukkake video, mmmmmmmm. LOLOL. That is soooo wrong. Don you are an odd man to bring that up.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I had to google that!! :eek:

...wish I hadn't now :eek:

5. bujingodai

I haven't stopped laughing about that quote since I read it. It will live on in my head.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I needed a new sig...

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

You think that's bad, take a look at this map! :eek:

Actually now I think about it... NSFW (even though it's just a map with words) and probably outside TOS

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Hmm.. Interesting place... Perhaps this is where the Ninjas will go when they leave Middle Earth...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w9AfC5Ms0"]YouTube - Fantasy Island Season 1 Presentation[/ame]

9. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

[​IMG]

EDIT - and just to steer it back on topic, he's watching Bujinkan videos. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. bujingodai

Aww Jeez you beat me to it!!!!

OK back to topic. Sorry I did that.

11. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

What? grandmother????:hat:

12. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

If that's the case, he seems awfully chipper. :D

13. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I have to admit I ripped it off from one of the comedians at the roast of David Hasslehoff. ;)

14. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

I'm not so worried about gaijin butt, Hell I still catch myself..........in giajin ...butt....... ??:eek:

I was much more concerned with their straight knees in kamae(@0:16, 0:26), complete lack of angling(@0:57, 1:14, 1:30, 1:37, 2:07, etc.). If they were keeping their knees bent, they would have better kamae, and angling would create balance taking. Throw in some timing and they may have something. This is kind of the crux of it. Off line angling is literally the first thing you learn, save maybe ukemi. Yet it's missing here.

...And like I said because their knees aren't bent, balance isn't being taken, or even affected at all. It's almost as if they're unaware that they should be trying to. Again an early, very important lesson, missing here.

Uke grabs to Ousode, and Tori goes nowhere. Doesn't step, doesn't even attempt it(@constant). Another very important early lesson, doesn't make an appearance.

To be clear, I'm not simply saying that he/they perform poorly, I'm saying large portions of lessons are completely missing from what I see.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  15. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

It is?

16. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

IIRC it was for me.(via Ichimonji no kata)

Do you think after 11 months it should be non-existent?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  17. Wolf3001

Wolf3001 Valued Member

You can pick up on some things from videos and books but it's not realistic to think you could master an art doing it that way. There are so many times my teacher has come by and said to change just little details about my technique. I would love to train with Steven K Hayes but I doubt I will ever get the chance to.

18. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Why?

-Mark Spada

19. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

It's a beard thing Mark:cool:

20. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Because he knows he has not been around as long as SKH. He thinks that training with him is a good thing. Considering all the PR SKH has put into making people think that, it is not really surprising.

You have trained in Japan. I have as well. Not everyone out there has our outlook. Don't beat him up because he does not know all the facts. I admit I was a fan of SKH before I moved to Japan. If you were too, then put yourself in his place and try to understand where he is coming from.