You Cant Beat Me Up, I'm A Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by brahman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

Could not be very many years of influence

Thanks for the tip about the font BTW.:)

Musashi ventured off to make a name for himself at the age of sixteen. He defeated many of the greatest warriors of his time before he was twenty-five. After sixteen, it is difficult to argue that he received much more instruction from that point on in his life.

Shinmen Musashi's style, even in its infancy and during its never-ending evolution, is immediately and easily discernable from any of the traditional and rigid disciplines of the Jitte and Sword(father), or in various other armed and unarmed arts (Buddhist Monk Uncle). From an early age, his significant departures from orthodoxy suggest that the instruction, though received and absorbed, did not influence or shape the emerging violent path of Miyamoto Musashi.

His was an individual journey wrought in flames of life and death war, and he promulgated an empirical and scientific foray into the truth behind the mysteries of combat.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes I'm well aware of Musashi's exploits.

Which is the reason why I brought up his training at the hands of both his uncle Dorinbo and his father. Musashibō Benkei's very first dual against Arima Kihei seems a good indicator that he must have had some formal training that sunk in... certainly enough influence for him to beat a samurai with a live blade only armed himself with a wooden staff... at the ripe old age of 13. :D

I've heard varying reports that he had trained in Shinto-ryu (father?), Jujutsu(uncle?) and Sumo up to this point- any of which he may have employed during his duel with Arima Kihei.

At any rate I don't feel that any of that would take away from the enigma that was Miyamoto Musashi.

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

More to the point

More to the point, no one taught Musashi how to clip the wings off a fly, how to splice a rice of grain on a man's forehead (leaving the man without a scratch), or how to shatter an opponent's steel sword using a wooden one. No one taught Musashi how to defeat Sasaki Kojiro, the trainer of the Shogun's army and widely considered the greatest samurai in southern Japan, with a wooden oar in a single move when he was just nineteen years old.

How can you say anyone could teach a man these things?

Well, this argument is ultimately one of petty syntax and semantics. So who cares! Martial art is about enlightenment and inner growth. I just think that Musashi walked the path unbelievably well. The debate over to what impact his "teachers" had is ultimately moot. His talent, skill, and knowledge, which he meticulously garnered and gleaned from life, is what truly separates his perspective apart from all but the greatest masters. Just as Bruce Lee's martial way did not evolve overnight, the truth only was revealed to Musashi after 50 years of life and death battle (6 wars, served several different retainers, went on frequent warrior pilgrimages fighting duels with anyone he came across [over 60 between the ages of 13-28, fought with even greater overall effecitveness and prowess as he aged, and was invincible up until his death from natural causes at the age of sixty-one (almost triple the average life expectancy of the times) HAVING NEVER BEEN DEFEATED.]

4. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

You do bring up a very interesting venue of research, SlipTheJab

I would like to learn more about Musashi's martial style influences during his infancy and childhood/teen years. That would be valuable research into understanding the profound style that is Ni Ten Ichi Ryu. As is true of a great fine-arts artist, though not a disciple of his predecessors, every man cannot help but be somewhat an extention of his influences.

Could you provide me with links and/or other literature concerning the evidence suggesting the different schools which may have contributed to Musashi's early education. Thanks alot! :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

While I defintely believe Musashi had the skill to shatter a steel sword with a wooden one, the previous two sound to me like folk legends. I'd be careful passing those as fact. Otherwise, I'll raise you some George Washington throwing dollars across the delaware Fu or any of the legends about Old West gun fighters. However, there is little question to Musashi's record and that alone should be enough to demonstrate his efficacy.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, that the product of martial arts training is personal enlightenment, I disagree with the notion that the discussion of his teacher's impact is moot. Musashi nor Lee nor anyone else occurs in a vacuum. As Newton once wrote: "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders of Giants."

To argue that Musashi became "Musashi" on his own without aid from instruction is silly. But on the other hand, to say that the teachers did it all is silly as well. I think Mushashi's use of the metaphor of the teacher being the needle and the student the thread is very applicable. He did recieve guidance, and from all accounts very good guidance, what he did with it was stellar.

Will we all be Musashis? Of course not. But we can all learn from his example.

- Matt

6. daedalus01

daedalus01 New Member

they r not misspelt, simply abbreviations n symbols used to save time typing.

do u think someone is of a lesser stature just because they use internet abbreviations? and someone is better just because they type a forum post as if it was a professional letter? if so u prob should rethink wat MA is teaching u

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Read the TOS. Text speak is a violation:

4.2 Language:
    MAP is an English speaking forum. Please take the time to post in plain, legible English.
    4.2.1 This is not a mobile phone text service – you do not need to use abbreviations to reduce the length of your post. It makes it hard for ne1 not used 2 txt sp34k 2 read wot u r saying.

Now let's let the adults go back to the Musashi discussion. We're seeing a rare side of slipthejab, and I for one am enjoying the work-friendly content he's posting!

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

We do not do spelling very much in my MA so i use a DICTIONARY to check my spelling when I need to, which is quite often as I am dyslexic, I did not realise you were a student of Webster-fu or OED-ryu, you would immagine you would be able to spell then. And yes I do think I am better than someone who can't actualy read or abide by the rules and social niceties of the environment they are operating in.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  9. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

i understand where you are coming from, but seriously how many people here dont know what this symbol "&" is.

i think the whole arguement is silly.

10. Tsumetai

Tsumetai Banned Banned

Do you think you're better than people who can't see, as well (who can't read either, at least not in the traditiona sense)? Or hear? What about people who can't walk?

My condolences in regards to your dyslexis, but thinking you're better than someone who can't read is really pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2005
  11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Folks,

Lets stay on traget. GC and Douglas are both right about MAP's requirements about using standardize English. Debates about the value of literacy can take place in "off-topic."

- Matt

12. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

I guess we don't have enough valid arguments for the whole Musashi thing, so we have to bite off on people using "l33t". Somebody say something regarding Musashi or burritos so we are at least halfway on topic, PLEASE.

:woo:

13. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

YOU CANT BEAT ME UP, BECAUSE IM A MARTIAL ARTIST WHOS BEST FRIEND IS MAYAMOTO MUSASHI AND I EAT SPINACH FILLED BURRITOS EVERY DAY TO MAKE ME EVEN STRONGER THAN POPEYE THE SAILOR MAN.

good enough? :D

14. Lukasa

Lukasa New Member

You have a very deadly idea of "funny"

:D

I don't know any martial arts (i wanna learn one, thats why im here) But a friend of mine is a 3rd degree black belt in TKD and has won state competitions etc etc and i have seen people cower faced with his reputation, but i have also seen gigantic fat idiots who dont care almost come to blows with him.

I think it depends on the person that is attacking said martial artist

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

If someone wants to fight me because I do Muay Thai, I tell them I actually do Tae Bo. Noone wants to fight a guy that does Tae Bo, the shame of losing would be unbearable.

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

LOL, wow that really is the art of fighting without fighting.

17. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

The long overdue can o beanz go kapop!

Thats just because you have not become a victim of the oppressions in society yet..... :cool:

Wait till your next life, you might get reincarnated into some famous person who wishes they had something better to do than redefine the term scitzophrenia for any x-factory workers because every half hour theres a new threat on the geico lizard being attacked by squirrels who know your birthday, your wifes birthday, and the approximate time and place you will lose everything in your possession. It happened to me.... a long time ago.

They will say of me and those like that....

Well, at least we got video evidence of the culprit digging in dumpsters, stealing unwritten stocks & bonds certificates, to re-duplicate them into forged copies of liscenced certificates to legally get into your trash and re-cycle it for the greater good of "the oppressions in society". Yet, I won't rob you of a few honest earned dollars that costs you reputation in the soliciting and advertising industry because I didn't win the lottery, take over a gas station by gun point, or fraud an illegal buisness transaction in your name, to cover up an aliby saying I should have hijacked your cruiseliner and stolen your video equipment in order to film the true reality of a cover up gone haywire in the legal buisness of framing identity theft victims as the perpetrators responsible....

no its Ok, Ill skip the formalities thank you.

sorry about the self quote though, sometimes I lose my senses...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  18. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And that had what to do with the actual topic at hand?

19. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

I was answering Comaboy's post about Muay Thai & Tae Bo. Adouglasmhor answered before I did, so it looks like Im rambling on...

Actually, I was describing my life for the past few years. And, what that has to do with Celebrities who practice Muay Thai. Though he really should not make fun of Billy Tae bo though, or anyone who is ashamed of losing to him because you never know when the squirrel assassins will be coming for you.

What that has to do with this thread is,.... no you usually get attacked more because you are a known martial artist, not because you like to fight.

If you tell people what you know, your style, your teacher, your knowledge, your location, it causes more fights and confrontations.... it does NOT make people scared of you at all....

thats my experience anyway :cool:

20. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I didn't even realise it was aimed at my post! Maybe quoting me would have helped.
    As a more serious response than my Tae Bo one, fighting is probably the last option for me, right next to running. Nothing to do with cowardice, but if I get hospitalized I can say goodbye to a nice chunk of training while I recover. Far worse could happen if they're armed.
    If I can talk my way out of a situation I will, and have done on several occasions. When I'm faced with someone who just wants to fight, and no amount of talking will work, I really have to think about why I'm considering fighting, usually it's mostly my own pride. It really does take the better person to leave than to fight, more so if you're trained.
    Most fights I've been in are when I am with a group, and it's not my sole decision what happens. I can only think that in those situations my leaving would only have made it worse for whoever I would have left.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006