You Cant Beat Me Up, I'm A Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by brahman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

so how many people back down from you simply becuase they know you study a martial art?

i see it lots of times, either they expressly say martial arts are crap and they can kick anyone s butt, or they back down instantly afraid of this unknown force.

i brougt this topic up becuase my girl every time someone says they can kick anyones butt, she tells them that they cant kick mine cuase im a martial artist. i tell her not to do this, but usually she does it anyways.

2. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

Why do i have this feeling that " your girl" is gonna get your butt kicked pretty soon. :cool:

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Women, the source of all problems :p :D

i've had more people stay away from me when i was bodybuilding due to my size but now i'm Joe Average size again :bang:

4. never

never Registered Hero

Yep, there'll always be someone wanting to try themselves against 'The Karate Kid' (they'll probably make Bruce Lee noises too...).

5. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

Completely agree on both :D

Bodybuilding is a great self defense. Usually a fight is a chain reaction . And once things are in flow they are very difficult to step. A person who looks like Ronnie Coleman ( Ok thts an extreme) would be a great deterrent to anyone to even start messing up .

Which again reminds me..why the hell did i slim down :bang: :bang:

6. Incredible Bulk

230 lbs down to 170lbs :bang:

i have flexability now so i can kick to head height, rather than rely on haymakers :D

confidence in yourself is a good self defence mechanism, if you back down too quickly and act like you have your tail between your legs and start shaking like a ****ing dog then the other guy is going to continue his quest to belittle you and start a fight.

7. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

one thing i hate is when you're out with a load of mates on the beers and after a few one of them will spark up and say "don't mess with us, these two are black belts"

DOH! :bang:

one incident does spring to mind. i was sleeping with a girl from work who already had a boyfriend :p . when he found out he was all ready to come and beat me up, untill she told him i did martial arts. i think he backed down after that :D

:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  8. Incredible Bulk

i was out having a few drinks with the people at taekwondo class and i joked at the fact there were two 3rd degree black belts, one 1st degree and the rest were above blue belt :D

that would of proved to be one funny bar brawl

9. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

I agree..Tell her to keep her mouth shut, nicely of course...

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In my experience it just encourages people to punch you in the face or sneak up on you and hit you with something.

11. kwoon424

kwoon424 New Member

I have two friends that are larger than I am. I hang out with them to avoid confrontation and they hang out with me in case they get into something. The irony of the martial arts.

12. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

In my experience, people either assume you're t3h d34d1y or they laugh at it and how it doesn't work.

13. hux

hux ya, whatever.

you need a new girl, dude. Quickly.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol, I've had some experience with this : D. All the tough guys I hang out with will play around with me, but they don't like it when I play back :D . There will always be a few dopes who just don't get it, but they usually aren't worth messing with. Don't tell your girl to shut up. Maybe she'll provoke somebody to fight you and you'll get some extra training in ;) . Some real, hands on experience. Just pray that it wont be too serious :eek:

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I try to not bring up my background in it. However when a conversation about MA pops up in a group setting and one guy claims to know something, I tend to pry at him to see if he's full of weapons grade Bolognium.. Its a bad habit I know but I can't stand fake **** liars.

One guy apparently wanted to tell me how JKD was the Ub3r Style and how bruce lee was so fast he could move from one corner of the room to the other faster than I could blink. So I replied "You mean like this?!" and came in fast in a bow stance to where I was a foot away from his face and my knee situated perfectly 4 inches away to strike his groin... He got surprisingly quiet after that little incident. And I got to practice throws with a guy who knew Jiu-jitsu at the party..

16. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

most of the time i dont really care, in no one has not seen some of my posts, im somewhat of a cocky person. but im currently recovering from shoulder surgery. i think she says it so much is because hit on her alot and about 90% of the time when she says im t3e ubber D3ad1y they get scared and back down.

all those years as a kid trying to be a bada#$ and i get more people to back down from me than ever and i dont meet most of them. :confused:

17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Then they tell your girlfriend they would like to see you fight a bullet..Or a knife..although that would depend on who she talks to. She is challenging people, and I would be very surprised if someone didnt take up the challenge.

18. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

i would get a new gf, she knows you dont like her doing it but she does it anyways. she doesnt seem to respect your wishes and almost comes across as wanting to see you get into a fight. that or she just wants everyone to think shes with the toughest guy in town to inflate her own ego. id get rid of her

19. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Sounds like trouble.But what can you do when your hopelessly in love.If you end up in a bad scrape,I just hope shes worth it.And I know,some of them are.Good luck.

20. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Once upon a time, when I was in High School, I was practicing some kata in the bathroom before class. These two kids walk in, and one of them made a comment along the lines of "karate doesn't really work."
    I sauntered over towards one of the stalls, and threw a sidekick against the door. Apparently it was a pretty crappy door, because it fell off when I kicked it. :cool:
    Not many people messed with me after that.

So, my recomendation: next time someone's giving you crap, break something. ^_^