You can have RESULTS, or you can have EXCUSES, BUT YOU CAN’T HAVE BOTH!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ty Cannon, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Ty Cannon

Ty Cannon New Member

Myth: I don’t have time to exercise.

Fact: There are 72, 20 minute blocks of time in every day. If you set aside just two of them, you’ll have done 40 minutes of exercise . You can do that!

Training Tip:

If you do 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning when you get up you will ramp up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Plus you’ll feel energized and ready to tackle your work.

Many people claim that they don’t have time for cardio because they need to shower after. Since you can probably schedule most showers in the morning, you can plan your cardio for right when you get up, which is an excellent use of your time.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Or you could do 20 minutes of actual training instead.

I'll leave the Cardio to Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow.

3. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

What do you consider to be an actual training? Perhaps you have some useful tips for someone who is spending almost five days a week away from home... ;)

For me, that Cardio program sounds great... Especially as I agree with the following statement 100% "If you do 20 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning when you get up you will ramp up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Plus you’ll feel energized and ready to tackle your work."...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. holyheadjch

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) will give you the most bang for your buck. The metabolism afterburn is only significant when you are working hard. For conventional cardio, it is far less dramatic.

In order to for this afterburn (or excess postexercise oxygen consumption (EPOC)) to last a significant length of time, you need to work at an intensity near or above the ventilatory threshold.

5. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

I do a lot of shadow boxing while in hotels, but I still consider that to be pure Cardio workout... I need more than just that...

Push ups and sit ups are strength exercises and I do that every day, but I need advice on how to get a really good Cardio exercise while being in a confined space such as the hotel room.

EDIT: I am thinking of skipping rope... :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  6. holyheadjch

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) will give you the most bang for your buck. The metabolism afterburn is only significant when you are working hard. For conventional cardio, it is far less dramatic.

In order to achieve this afterburn (or excess postexercise oxygen consumption (EPOC)) to last a significant length of time, you need to work at an intensity near or above the ventilatory threshold.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm struggling to understand the purpose of this thread. One way or another, whether MA, roadwork, weightlifting, bodyweight work or even just stretching, I'll wager most of us on here rack up far more than 40 mins of training per day already.

Ty Cannon - you're preaching to the converted here.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We get new members everyday who don't think there is enough time to workout. I say make it a sticky in the beginners section ^^

9. holyheadjch

I don't want new members doing 20 minutes on the elliptical before breakfast, though.

10. You get bang for your buck only if you are doing the HIIT!

And why not?
    This is perfect for active recuperation and getting your energy high before breakfast.

OSu!

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

20 minutes of bodyweight squats instead

Cardio AND they can't walk properly all morning - result!!

12. holyheadjch

We're not talking about recovery. We're talking about how to get the most out of short periods of training and cardio is only slightly better than doing nothing.

13. Hummm... without proper recovery, no matter what you do won't be beneficial. It really depends where you are at in your training program.
    HITT is great only on a strong and solid base - if the recup time you need between HIIT workouts is too long, either you get into chronic fatigue, set yourself for injury, or skip the next workout...

None of these options will save you time, to the contrary, they'll set you back.

At this moment, I am training every day with double workout every 3 and 4 days; As I am really piling up the volume, I scrapped HIIT completely and replaced it with slow cardio three times a week.
    It helps my recovery and sets me fresh for the next volume workout.

When I'll start a sharpening phase in 2 months, I'll reduce the volume and ramp up the intensity for 6 weeks, with re-introducing HIIT progressively, then more often, and scrapping the slow cardio, except maybe as active recap on rest days.

Osu!

14. holyheadjch

Unless you're an elite athlete, the best type of recovery is to do nothing.
    It sounds like you are following a seasonal endurance sport program where you do base training (medium intensity cardio) during the off season, then HIIT training in peak cycles during the competitive season.

Again, that's fine if you are competing, but if you are struggling to find 20 minutes a day to exercise - you're probably not. If 20 minutes a day is all you have, you're better off going balls out 2/3 times a week.

15. Yes, since I am in rehab/prehab after injury and arthroscopy, I am experimenting with re-building a stronger base with lots of low intensity high volume & strength at the moment, building up to a peak end of April.
    Then the same cycle, but longer to build to a peak mid November.

Then we'll see...
    I am aiming at being in top form for 2013 September.

Osu!

16. Knobhead

Knobhead Valued Member

why not make it a crossfit rutine? 21-15-9 of burpees, situps and squats, can't take more than 20 min and it'll certainly get you breathin...