You are Now God

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nah just kidding.

Let's say though, that through some magic, you become the absolute authority for your chosen martial art.

More interestingly, what you guys who participate in combat sports would change about your rule set if you could.

For me, in BJJ, I'd change the leg reap rule. I'd change the points around so that instead of points for position you get points for different positions i.e get 5 points for spider Web (beginning of arm bar) or having a kimura grip that is past ukes hip gains like 4 points.

MMA I'd bring the 12-6 rule out, add knees to a downed opponent and keep soccer kicks banned.

Judo.... 90's rule set.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Oooh

Agree with the reap. Take that out complety. A team-mate was going for a foot look, the Opp took my team-mate's leg and "placed" it into the leg reap position. The Ref DQ'd my mate.

So that needs to go.

White Belts - bring back head outside takedowns.

MMA - pretty much agree with you there.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'd change the ibjjf into being an actual governing body not a private profit making company.

And get the UKBJJA to take it over, with a focus on grassroots support.

Rules wise I like the rickson assoc proposed rules, similar as now. But with a pro rules section for heel hooks and reaping.

Also make MMA better controlled, yearly brain scans for everyone, and better control to stop KOd fighters fighting again next week, and stop tin cans fighting.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

So you can guiloteen all the bad wrestlers out their?

Haha

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Quiet you!

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

TKD:

Full contact, no padding. 5x2 minute rounds. No punches/elbows allowed, no leg kicks or knees allowed. Only waist high and up. No catching kicks.

I've no idea how it'd look, but I'd like to see it.

7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I'd probably turn into something like my taijiquan shifu and just do taiji and not tell anyone. And have a small class of folks I'd teach who really wanted to know what taijiquan was. If I because a Xingyiquan "God" it would probably be much the same, just with xingyiquan, not taijiquan.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Mat shoes and in door trainers would be allowed in all arts - Goodbye to trapping and breaking toes on the mat. Goodbye to blisters, cracked heals and fungle infections from old dirty wooden floors.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

All arts will be taught in the langue of the country where the club is based, not in the language of where the art originated. Etiquette and interactions with the teacher shall be carried out in the modern manner of the country where the club is based, not in that of the country and time where the art originated.

Goodbye to linguistic and cultural barriers to understanding / learning a practical skill.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

They wear something in ninjutsu that cover the feet.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

I door tabi are basically socks, they don't protect the feet, outdoor tabi do, however they also ruin mats, hence why they're "outdoor".

A decent permenant tarped matted area fixes all problems.

12. Pretty In Pink

I quite like the Gracie mats.

axelb likes this.
  13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

iv'e seen a toe stick to a jitsu mat, bend, and snap as a player was passing guard. Would not have happened with wrestling shoes.

14. Dead_pool

Wrestling shoes also ruin mats, a good tarped area stops that too.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I would introduce amateur, semi-pro and pro level TKD sparring. Amateur is pretty much as ITF is, semi-pro add low kicks and takedowns, Pro everything goes.

I doubt I'd change much more for sparring, and not sure there'd be many takers, but it would be fun.

I'd also instigate a proper self defence syllabus, realistically trained and assessed.

16. Pretty In Pink

Isn't that what K-1 is?

What about full contact but no punches and no armour? Kicks only.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It might be the same as K1, not sure; there are only so many variations you can have on rule sets.

I'm not a fan of the WT style sparring as it is, and I think removing all punches would just make it worse to be honest. There'd be a lot of time spent doing chest bumps :D

Something like kudo but maybe with thicker pads might also work well.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I am the god of ITF/Ch'ang hon Taekwondo. Hear me speak...

Get rid of anachronistic set step sparring. 3, 2 and 1 step can go in the bin.
    Introduce pattern and grade specific 2 person drills instead that relate to real violence rather than fantasy or nonsense. That way the student is learning the pattern for their grade and how it can be used. This would include padwork, impact development and options for variation and pressure testing.

Like Mr Mitch I'd also instigate a proper self defence syllabus (related to the above), realistically trained and assessed. Something simple, direct and easily applicable so that even if a student leaves the art after 6 months, a year or whatever they take something useful with them. Like a simple first aid course but for self defence.

Introduce sport sparring drills that progressively introduce sport sparring as a thing in itself. Very gentle with a gentle learning curve so people aren't put off by jumping straight in. These would be different to the pattern 2 person drills as sport sparring and traditional techniques occupy different contexts.

Ditch doboks and go back to open front medium weight karate style gi's that can actually be used as a piece of equipment for training grips, clothing grab defences, throws, etc. And while you're at it make them dark grey or black. White is a stupid colour for a uniform that will end up covered in sweat, blood, dirt, etc.

Introduce multiple sparring formats at gradings beyond just sport rules "showing off". Hands only, grappling, clinching, all in (MMA), etc. Let's see what people can really do.

Separate children and adult syllabus (syllabi?) that are taught and trained accordingly. Related but appropriate to the target demographic.

Introduce a range of post black belt diploma qualifications that allow people to structure their own goals and training depending on their particular interests and skills. Things like "tournament fighter", "Pattern competitor", "Pattern applications", "Strength and conditioning", "Self defence", "Teaching kids", "Female self defence", "Instructor", etc. Diplomas that build on the general foundation gained in these areas while grading up to black belt but go more in depth. Let's make black belt the time when training and understanding REALLY starts to happen.

Change theory testing away from rote learning and foreign terms in favour of useful theory like the law on self defence, the effects of adrenalin, attack rituals, etc.

Allow kick catching in sport sparring. If you really want to develop good kickers they have to be able to deal with caught kicks.

Increase time between grades to properly train this new expanded material, take longer to get to black belt and make it a more fulfilling journey.

hewho likes this.
  19. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Are you saying sumo with headkicks wouldn't be awesome? :p

Mitch likes this.
  20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If I was God - with absolute power to do what I wanted?

I would have an absolute fool proof drug testing program in place that was constantly evolving a step ahead of any and all substances. There would be no more drug cheating in combat or any other sport. No chances of a false positive, well because I- as GOD - developed it. So no more getting away with ridiculous excuses, horse meat, tainted supplements, etc.

Cheaters would be banned for life on the first failed test.

Smitfire likes this.