Yoshida chokes out Gracie

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

True not as a rule but if you look at the

MATT HUGHES vs CARLOS NEWTON - 1st fight it does look like Hughes is out and by the time he falls to the mat he is awake and fighting again.

Food for thought but most times if your out your out cold.

2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yoshida is just concerned about the safety of royce. who knows what will happen if that choke was not stopped?

3. totality

totality New Member

royce would've led us through a boring 2 hour match of "domination," with no submission in sight.

...like the second fight.

or, who knows. maybe rickson would've laser blasted them both.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

He can do that? ;)

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yep...AND leap tall buildings in a single bound!

I saw the first match and IMHO Royce was ripped off. When Wallid put him out he went under and happily said so. Royce would have gladly admitted a loss to Yoshida if the choke had been anything like on. The fact he didn't strongly suggests to me he was "jipped"

6. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Royce didn't care if he lost because I bet he knew he could've beat Yoshida but Yoshida got Royce in a choke but yeah Royce wasn't out then.

7. totality

totality New Member

excuses, excuses....sigh.

when was the last time royce subbed someone?

8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

december 16, 1994. he defeated dan severn.

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah, ive got the full match. It's 40.1mb if anyone wants it. I'll have to send it over msn tho!

I thought it looked like Royce was concious as well, but when i take a second look at it, he didn't seem to be doing anything to show he was alright, he was just laying there not moving at all so i could understand why Yoshida was declared the winner.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

40 mb.......it'll take me half a day to d/l.........can you spread it on kazaa or upload it somewhere by any chance?

|Cain|

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I was going to cut it up, and compress it to something smaller so i could put it on my webspace but it's .wmv extention and Adobe Premeire dont like them so ill need a wmv to .mpeg converter.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!

Computer geek-speak!!!!

Although if you do get it working gimme a shout ;)

13. Pika

Pika New Member

Top grapplers are noted for resting and waiting for opportunity. IF Royce goes "limp" he could very well be taking a breather. Take a look at Genki Sudo. Notorious for having a break and then exploding into some of the best subs you will ever see.....

I think the main problem here is not whether the choke was on, but the ref stopping it at Yoshidas request. Here we have a match with agreed upon rules, where the home town fighter calls upon the ref to break those very rules........

Just to stir up a hornets nest. Take a close look at the choke, I dont even think it was on, Royce isnt even defending it...... :eek:

14. crovax612

crovax612 Valued Member

He didn't look out to me

Here's two links of the alternate angle (which pride japan didn't show...even though they always show at least three different angles after a fight's over)of Royce supposably getting choked. one of the commentators (think it was Bas) even says it was a pre-mature stoppage.

http://members.cox.net/sexymuppet/roycenotchoked.wmv

http://onthemat.com/video-mma.html (video is near the bottom)

I think it was just the ref who screwed up. From what I heard Yoshida was asking him if Royce was out. I think it would have been difficult for him to know, seeing as Royce wasn't being very active.

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Excellent post :D I can't imagine the pressure placed on ref's sometimes...

16. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I had a feeling that it wasn't a submisson because yeah Royce wasn't really choked out.

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah; the ref didn't see him reaching in getting some breathing space so i dont blame him for ending the fight. The ref's main concern is the safety of the fighters, and if he see's one fighter choking the other, and the other one doesn't appear to be moving then i really dont blame him for ending it.

18. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

RESTING? RESTING??!! Yeah right! I admire the Gracies & BJJ but come on!!

19. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

how do you tap out if you're unconcious?

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

from yoshidas position, he cant really see whats going on. the ref should not have stopped that fight, but I wouldnt blame it solely on yoshida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.