Yoshida chokes out Gracie

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

download it from Kazaa, I got it from there...

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I thought this would stir things up a bit. I found this discussion on another page...;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

5. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

What was the outcome of that match 1one? Am I right in thinking it was called a draw? ;)

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Yes. It was a time limit draw, after Gracie maintained a full mount for six minutes, and took Yosi's back several times. He never went for the sub, choosing instead to punish his poor defenseless opponent.

It's not a turtle position when your opponent gets the hooks.:D

7. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Nice one, thanks. I wonder when we'll get to see the match out on DVD? ;)

Found this post match interview...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

nice post syd.

9. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Don't want to take sides here, but................

Reading the interviews for the first Gracie vs. Yoshida fight, it was billed as BJJ vs Judo with references to Helio Gracie's fight against Kimura 50 years ago.

The fact that Royce decided to take his gi (kimono) top off and developed special tactics with his trainers/brothers meant that the BBJ vs Judo idea was thrown out the window for the second fight. Royce obviously just wanted the win to, in his mind, set the record straight. In any event the fight was a draw, but I suppose his dominance means that most people consider he/BJJ won it. At the end of the day he wanted to win at any cost - theres nothing wrong with that, but just don't call it a (moral) victory for BJJ over Judo.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why not? It was an MMA match anyway not a sport match. If Royce chose to wear a gi it still would have been MMA. BJJ has gi & no gi techniques. I bet the Judo people would have been shouting if Yoshida had won regardless of what Royce was wearing.

In my experience I love both arts, but BJJ is by far a more complete system. That said, I have studied both. I find Judoka less comfortable on their stomach because they tend to use this as a "stall" in their groundwork (30 secs and up you go!)

In any matches sometimes BJJ wins, sometimes Judo. I think describing Don Frye as a Judoka is a desperate attempt to snatch credibility though!;)

11. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

I feel that this Yoshiba/Gracie fight is STILL not over....

To say that Gracie "won" is still pre-emptive... just because one fighter dominates another DURING the fight does not mean that they are the winner per se.... if this were true then the fight between Ali and Foreman.. Foreman would've been declared the winner because at first he was totally dominating Ali... but it takes a real fighter to take a beating but keep on coming back... Ali hanged on (rope a dope) and eventually defeated Foreman...

All I'm saying is that Royce (as great a fighter as he is) should not BOAST about winning.... it's over when the fighter taps or gets knocked out

let's see a no time limit match between the 2

12. jonsku

jonsku New Member

I agree, especially because the Gracie clan themselves do not consider their fights a loss unless they tap or get KO'd.

The whole matches would not be so big a deal if one of the fighters (coughroycecough) had not had some kind of attitude problem against the another one.Just my opinion, read the interviews and make your own. :D

13. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

I agree that Royce has an attitude towards the fights which is especially evident in his interviews... He calls Yoshida a liar and a disgrace (first match)... Personally I felt that Yoshida was doing the right thing (their first match)... If you have someone in that choke from the mount there is A LOT of force going into that choke considering your whole body weight is being forced onto the neck.. I feel that Yoshida was showing concern when he saw/felt Royce relax a bit (evident in video) regardless of whether Royce was unconsciuos for a bit or relaxing as he claims..

It is my opinion that it is inexcusable for a man who calls himself a martial artist to be boasting with an attitude about his "win"

If he wanted to settle some grudge match take it outside.... if he wanted to see who was the better fighter lets take it again to the ring and see who gets knocked or taps out

14. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

This guy is in training to take on Gracie as we speak!

[​IMG]

15. saikyou

saikyou New Member

hahahahah! question: if that guy applied the choke to royce(same choke that yoshida did in the 1st fight), do you think he can still say that he is JUST RELAXING?!

16. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

:eek:
    his pankake-like self would have to be reinflated before we could ask him! lol :D

17. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

What's that saying?........"Everyone's gotta lose sometime" :woo:

Line from Platoon:

"Everybody's gotta die sometime, Red"

18. jurg

jurg New Member

royce is not out!

I swhatched the whole fight and trained spoke whith Royce after the re match of that fight. Whatch the re match where Royce sends Yoshida to the hospital! :cry:

Gracies still rule when it comes to Graplin! :)

19. saikyou

saikyou New Member

royce dominated the 2nd match, but we are talking about the first match. i watched it a couple of times(the first fight) royce is definitely out. he's not doing anything to escape, yoshida's upper body weight is on his neck, and he(royce) is not moving. he's out.

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  20. jurg

jurg New Member

Have you ever seen the Choke dvd of Rickson Gracey fighting in japan?

He chokes a guy out from behind and then gets up while the guy is passed out on the canvas, and had to get medical assistance from his corner.
    Royce got up in a second. no way he was out. You dont fecover that fast after being choked you.
    I still say Yoshida pulled a fast on on Royce.
    But try and see "choke" it's really cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.