Yoshida chokes out Gracie

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Chalk one up for Judo ;) I saw some footage, very briefly, of the end of the Yoshida/Gracie match where Yoshida chokes out Gracie. Has anyone seen the match in it's entirety?

Best, Syd

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

that was there first match.

Gracie was not out.

He jumped up and contested immediately, something hard to do as he was supposed to be unconcsious.

As I understand Yoshida told the ref he was "out", the ref stopped it. But he wasn't out.

Had the ref not stopped it would Yoshida have sunk the choke? Who knows, but he hadn't at the time the fight was stopped.

The last fight went the distance, Royce apparently dominated, but there was no judges so it was called a draw.

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Thanks Andrew,

I haven't had the benefit of seeing the full length deal but I can tell you from the footage I've seen Gracies arms both go limp and he's swimming in la la land. I think Yoshida quite rightly was calling on the ref because it looked like Gracie wouldn't tap out and perhaps Yoshida was actually being concerned for the opponent and was asking for some compassionate intervention from the ref. Hey, maybe I'm wrong but Gracie looked like he was 98% out to me.

Best, Syd

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds more like the Royce Gracie V Wallid Ishmail footage.

Do you have a link to the clip you have?

5. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

No it's definately Yoshida, you see his face and the guy is definately Japanese. At this time Yoshida had his hair bleached so it has that funny orange colour. I'll dig up a link for the clip, I have it downloaded but there's no way to post that. I'll try and get it...

6. YODA

Thanks - I've seen photos and spoken to someone who was at the fight - they both suggest that Royce was never in any danger.

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Technically, the fight was supposed to allow no ref stoppages, which is strange, considering the ref stoppage.

8. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  9. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Well, I have acquired the whole match clip (emule, anyone? :) ) and as I see it, Royce goes limp but the choke didn't effect quite long enough for Royce to pass out completely. Royce later said that he was only "resting" and would have soon escaped, but IMO if carotid choke is applied to you, then you don't have much time to rest, and Yoshida was in quite dominant position. (tate-shiho-katame) But Yoshida should have choked him out, there would be much less discussion about whether he won or not.
    just my 2 cents

jonsku

10. Cain

Cain New Member

I can already see someone firing this clip in front of anyone who says Judo does'nt work :D

I searched a bit on this guy, looks like he's new and exceptional considering he does only Judo ;)

|Cain|

11. YODA

Check out the thread in the MMA forum on their 2nd fight recently :D

12. redbull

redbull New Member

I am the biggest royce gracie fan around but i will tell you this baced on his body language i think that either he was out or about to be out.

13. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Exactly what I thought...

14. saikyou

saikyou New Member

royce is out. royce is dead by now if yoshida continued that choke.

about the royce is resting thingie. like what jonsku has said, you have no time to rest. the more that you rest, the tighter the choke will be.

15. YODA

Yes - after seeing the video rather than just photos I agree - Royce was about to take a nap!

16. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

From that video yes.

What it doesn't show is Royce IMMEDIATELY standing up rather quickly and stating that he did not tap. Grabbing Yoshida draggin him to the side of the ring and trying to get him to tell the judges that he didn't tap.

Royce got up really quickly for someone that was supposed to be unconsicous.

Maybe he would have gone out, maybe not. But at the time it was stopped he was not out, and had not tapped. He wasn't even groggy standing up.

17. YODA

If Yoshida had continued Royce would have been out. If he coulda he shoulda :D

18. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

maybe, who knows. I can't see if there is a choke being applied.

But he wasn't out, and he didn't tap. The fight should not have been stopped. Yoshida was in a dominate position, and might have had a choke. But he did not have enough to end the fight.

It was declared "no contest".

The fight does not show up on there records listed at sherdog.com

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

No, the decision was never overturned. Yoshida is 1-0-1 vs. Gracie.

20. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I stand corrected, I thought he eventually got it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.