Yoga....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ranzan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Ok well here is the deal. Im 6'2" 190lbs a few months away from going to BUD/s. Now i was thinking about doing yoga for the reason ive been told its good for core and overall strength. Is this true? To me yoga looks pretty boring, I don't get to punch anything :( but if it is really that good I need all the strength I can get. So yoga people all the info you can throw at me would be great.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The only plus side to Yoga is the increased flexibility, which will be paramount when you embark on BUD/S (good luck with that by the way).

As long as you incorporate regular stretching and bodyweight conditioning into your routine then you can skip Yoga.

3. Give it a go, see what you think.
    Most people I've spoken to who have tried it have been pleasantly surprised, saying that they found it relaxing (but also more strenuous and difficult than they expected).

Personally, I enjoy it and think that it is providing me with much better body positioning awareness and improved posture as a knock on effect. I also find it relaxing and a welcome change to being thrown about.

I also think it is (slowly) increasing my core strength (I am sure there are more efficient ways of doing this). Pilates Superfoot?

4. OselLing

OselLing Valued Member

Totally agree, we begin every class with 10 mins of yoga and breathing exercises, good for flexability, good for posture, good for your core, and good for focus. Have an open mind, try it, it won't take long before you feel the benefit.

5. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Alrighty ile give her a go see what I think of it thanks guys.

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Sounds like someone's never done yoga. Yoga is slow gymnastics and is exceptionally demanding of your strength.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Certified instructor in Hatha mate.

8. votek

votek New Member

Yoga is very nice. It's great if you do a lot of training and you have some time to kill on a rest day. Great for active recovery, teaches you proper breathing, and balance.

It also helps you connect your mind with your body. Although yes, it may be boring but I have to admit I feel a lot better after doing yoga.