Yin & Yang hands.............

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Angelsweet, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

Hi everyone!

Can I ask a question?

My Xing Yi Sifu has asked me to find out which of my hands ie. which punch is Yin & which is yang.

I've only been training a little while, and he likes to make me find out these sorts of things!

Can anybody either help, or point me in the direction of some reading matter that will explain Yin/Yang hands to me.

Angelsweet...

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

When a palm is facing down or towards you its a yin palm, when its facing up or away from you its yang.

My guess is when extending its yang, and when retracting Yin.

try www.amazon.com there are loads of books on xinyi out there.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

We have a technique called yin yang palms where you start with both arms extended, palms facing towards your "opponent," and circle sweep to your left side.

I'll try to break it down.

1. hold palmstoward your opponent, with your elbows 1 fist away from your side.
    2. Turn your left hand over so that the back of your hand is facing your opponent.
    3. sweep your hands down and to the left in a circular motion. Keep your body facing straight forward. Continue the sweep to make a circle with both your hands. Your hands should end up in the same position they started in.

Your left hand should make a large circle, and the hand should not turn over ath the end. It should be "facing" your opponent from the time you drop your hands down. Your right hand should make a small circle and turn over at the very end.

My teacher described this technique as being a combination of hard and soft energies. He said that the right hand, which makes a very small circle and turns over at the end is using soft, short energy, while the left hand makes a large circle, and is more of a hard, long motion.

It's called yin yang palm because the two energies are opposites, so maybe your teacher is referring to that.

Maybe he is suggesting that one arm intrisically has more soft, short energy while the other has better hard energy. This is just me musing and I have no idea.

4. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

OK, so I don't have the best grasp on this and I'm FAR from being an expert. All I can do is attempt to relay what I've been taught and not mangle it. If I royally screw this up, please forgive.

In xingyi, one of the main concepts is "Tuin Tu" (sp?), meaning "Suck in, Spit out". At the same time, there is a concept of "opposite power", meaning that as one hand is pushing, the other is pulling or one is spitting out while one is sucking in. If you look at the wuxing, in every one, one hand is pulling, the other pushing. The pulling hand is yin. The pushing hand, yang. The pulling hand isn't necessarily pulling on the opponent, but it is retreating and as much power goes into it as the pushing hand.

How this translates to two handed strikes like in huxing (tiger), I don't know. Perhaps the yin gives rise to the yang instead of the two occuring simultaneously?

Opposite power, from the little I know is a MAJOR component in getting that xingyi "snap". The only elements that I can generate even the smallest fraction of relaxed power are the ones where the opposing motions are very pronounced, such as in zuan, pao and beng. Pi is still the hardest of the motions for me to generate power with.

Good luck, and I hope I didn't completely screw you up.

5. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

theres no definate answer as theres lots of denominations of yin and yang in everything,

it could be
    yang= clenched fist
    yin= open palm

or..
    yang= to punch using just arm strength
    yin= to punch using "empty force" using the whole body

or..

being psyched up and aggressive as ur fighting, or being relaxed and calm..

generally yin and yang in martial arts reffers to weather your muscles are tensed or relaxed.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

In general, Yin and Yang are relative and are ready to change.

Yin Shou is the hand that you use to defend.

Yang Shou is the hand that you use to attack.

You may switch roles with either hand.

Yin and Yang are in pair. They do not exist alone.

You may also use the single hand to do both defense and offense at the same time or in sequence.

In Xing Yi, for example the Pao Quan. There is a spiraling or turning of the fist before hitting. This sprialing may deflect the opponent's defending arm if in contact. In that sense, when it moves, it is Yin and when it finally hits, it is Yang.

Yin and Yang are used to relate both sides of one thing. They are used in reference so that we may change roles.

:)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  7. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Ah!

In a technique such as HuXing where there is an apparent two handed strike, the hands can be classified as Yang while the back can be yin.
    This enable the balance to be maintained.

Angelsweet.......
    The Left side of the body is regarded as Yang while the right is Yin. So really you could say the left fist is a yang punch.

Of course, if in SanTi-Shi with left hand forward, the right leg and the left hand are Yang & the left leg and right hand are Yin.

good eh!