Yiliquan

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by benrsmith, Jan 20, 2012.

1. benrsmith

benrsmith New Member

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a thread for people thinking about or actively learning Yiliquan seeing as there doesnt seem to be one.

Shameless pimping of site removed by Mod

I have just started out in earnest as I am really enjoying my Lau Gar and find the Yiliquan a nice complimentary style. Anyone else on here taken it up?I personally find it a lot more challanging than Lau, but love the emphasis on preserving traditional chinese martial arts.
    Saw someone on here say Sifu Starr looked like a fraud, and I had to laugh. I only hope they were joking! Having read the man's books, trained with him, and been to the pub with him I can categorically state he is the real deal, and a lovely bloke to boot!
    You just have to look at the Yili techniques to see he knows what he is taking about. The knife and baton defences in particular makes the Lau equivalents look like insanity.

Anyhoo, any Yili peeps on here, say hi!

Ben

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  2. James47

James47 New Member

Has anyone more info on what exactly this is?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's called "drive by posting"

Typically used by people who wish to advertise their club without paying for the privilege - the message style usually gives it away.

The only thing missing from this particular example is the " I've trained in MMA/BJJ/Special Forces/JLA/Avengers before but this is the real deal!"

Unless you meant the actual style of course.....

4. James47

James47 New Member

Ok, but do you know what it is?

I googled it and came across this forum thread so thought I'd ask.

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I think it's a mix of Xingyi, Taiji, Bagua and Baixingchuan.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

If you googled it then you must have heard of it to do that.

So where did you hear about it?

7. James47

James47 New Member

I seen it on the site that the OP had but thought people on a martial art forum would know more to explain to me as I new and not sure on all styles.

Legitimate question being asked here. :confused:

I have another post asking about praying mantis wing chun and this, was genuine asking about it.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's not an orthodox system, it's the modern creation of Philip Starr. It's not especially widespread, so we can't really comment on it.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I seem to recall seeing a guy with a yiliquan T shirt competing in a moving step push hands tourny once. He was doing ok. I would personally take that as an optimistic if limited sign on the group in general.

Otherwise what the others said, if you google you can find the site and the information of what this sifu learnt etc is there.

10. James47

James47 New Member

Thank your for the response, it seems a rare call so i was in intrigued some what.

I have searched months on forums for help and this thread was useful to date but I also felt most unwelcome on the beginners thread.

I was hoping this would be the site I could learn and prgress from@
    If there are any other people know the same feeling, please reply, as on here seems to have a lot of self righteous and superiority and it is intimating as a new person. let alpne a mew beginner! . I'd hope for some more support than feel in intimidation.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

James, I'm a little confused, no-one's been rude to you or attempted to intimidate you on either thread.
    Dean wasn't being dismissive of you, he was trying to elicit a more specific frame of reference to answer your question.
    What on earth made you feel unwelcome in the beginner's thread? People answered your questions, and that was about it :confused:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ive read the other posts and thread and frankly there is nothing there that could even pass for "slightly grumpy", let alone "self righteous" - in fact the answers were very helpful

13. greytowhite

greytowhite Valued Member

Yiliquan certainly seems interesting. I really liked Phillip Starr's books on internal martial arts. He spoke intelligently about a lot of topics and broke some things down in plain language which I really appreciated. These are the two I read and then passed on to a good friend.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Maneuvers-Fighting-Principles-Internal/dp/1583942300"]Martial Maneuvers: Fighting Principles and Tactics of the Internal Martial Arts: Phillip Starr: 9781583942307: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Mechanics-Maximum-Results-Practice/dp/1583942114"]Martial Mechanics: Maximum Results with Minimum Effort in the Practice of the Martial Arts: Phillip Starr: 9781583942116: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Ken Gullette has a bunch of material on his site and he teaches a modified Yiliquan after he started studying Chen taiji. Ken also provides Mike Sigman's material in his DVDs.

http://www.internalfightingarts.com

I reviewed his material and found a lot of his stuff helped me when I was first starting to learn Chen. I've since found that the best thing is an in person instructor but the material definitely helped give me a guide to certain exercises in English, my instructor spoke English as his third language.

14. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

certainly sounds interesting, but this baixing quan is turning up nothing other than being shaolin derived