Yet another Gikan ryu question

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Al Bundy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

So we know that Hatsumi is, shall we say, less than keen on showing much from Gikan ryu (and "the other 2") and that he must have a good reason for not doing so. Hence, that's not the question.

However, so I gather, Tanemura also has a legitimate claim to sokeship of Gikan ryu. Whilst I realise and accept that cross training is a big no-no anyway, a quick search of available resources seems to suggest that Gikan isn't being widely disseminated through the Genbukan org either.

Is this merely a coincidence or are Hatsumi and Tanemura of a similar mind on this?

Just curious really but would be good if any high ranking Bujinkan or Genbukan people have any light to shed.

2. garth

garth Valued Member

I think you need to nip over to the Genbukan Web Sits because from what I have just read, Gikan Ryu is being taught quite regularly and is shown in one of their manuals.

Gary Arthur

3. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Fair do's if they're actually teaching it in lessons - but then I would never know as, being a Bujinkan member, I couldn't/wouldn't be there :)

I've seen it mentioned on their websites but it didn't seem to feature in the syllabus from 10th kyu to 1st dan (although there were techniques mentioned I'm not familiar with so it may have been).

Of the books and videos available none seemed to mention it. Possibly it's covered but not named - I dunno :confused:

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Post the link for him Gary, i didnt see any reference to it, maybe i am looking in the wrong place, other than that the BBD did a seminar on it last year, maybe Xen or some of the others could give an insight??? :D

5. Aoi

Aoi New Member

Soke Hatsumi probably is teaching it to individuals but not openly. It probably has some things he would rather most people not know.

6. bencole

bencole Valued Member

Grr....

Jibran, is that you? :D

Please see the following thread in case you are not.... ;)

-ben

7. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

I think thats what Ben meant..

:)

8. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi

Tanemura is not teaching it on a regular basis. IN one of his videos he shows a movement form Gikan ryu, but so has Hatsumi,. this does notmean its being taught regular.

i asked a Genbukan friend who has been to Japan several times and he stated if it is being taught then only to those living in Japan and no one would admit it

9. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Have you encountered any training on it in Japan Paul? I've never see it and wondered what a person with experience thinks about it.

10. lalom

lalom Valued Member

Good one Ben. Made me chuckle with that one! :D

11. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Can someone clarify something for me?

If members of the Bujinkan are not being taught techniques from Gikan Ryu and not a great deal has been made public then how on earth can the BBD hold on a seminar on it? Was Brian taught techniques from the school when he was still involved with the Bujinkan?

I don't want to start an argument but I simply can't understand it. :confused:

12. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi

Gikan Ryu has been taught in minute parts maybe over the past 10 years on occassional rare sessions.

Brian left the Bujinkan in 1993. His last trip to Japan 1992, you can see him on the Daikomyo Sai video. Peter King told me Brian attended 2 of the 3 days, and I may be wrong but I dont think he was even there for the complete training, Peter also told me (this was face to face) that Brian was not seen in the Dojos during the rest of his trip. If he was then he was training in different dojo when my firends where all together with a different shihan). People have claimed all sorts of bizarre reasons why he left most are wrong, The reasons where sited in his resignation letter.

None of these people did any Gikan Ryu during Nov/Dec 1992.

I also asked many of those who lived in Japan from the later 80's to early 90's and none did any Gikan Ryu they knew of.

Hatsumi had Noguchi show a little movement in 1992 at the UK Taikai (its on the video).

I have the BBD syllabus form the early 90's and it clearly lists Gikan Ryu stuff in it. I personally beleiev from experience that this informatin was fabricated and is not at all in any way genuine Gikan yu.

The fact therefore being - Brian McCarthey did not at any time study Gikan Ryu from Hatsumi sensei or any of his Shihan. - Unelss of course he can prove different which I doubt he can do.

This has been discussed many times on this forum - use the search function folks.

13. bencole

bencole Valued Member

More rubbish

I agree with Paul.... It's fabricated, in my opinion as well....

I trained every week with Hatsumi-sensei for a good number of years in the 1990s and I only saw Gikan Ryu a handful of times TOTAL.... And it was never more than one or two techniques in the style of Gikan Ryu in a random training session in a random year. Certainly not enough for a seminar! :eek:

-ben

14. Krum

Krum The Walking Bruise

Cheers Poryu & Ben for clearing that up.

So basically it's another case of Brian deceiving his students. Maybe one day I'll hear something good about the BBD. Why anyone would choose to train with them over the Bujinkan is beyond me.....

15. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

You can. The good news about the BBD is that... They do not train near me :D

16. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Noguchi frequently throws a little Gikan ryu into stuff at his weekly classes at Hombu. However, it is NOT presented as such and no mention is made of it. It's just a somewhat different "flavor" of henka he does of techniques/kata of the "ryu of the year", done "with the feeling of" Gikan.

No one who hadn't already had at least some identified exposure to the movement and feeling of Gikan ryu would ever guess that this was being shown.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

This will not turn in to a bash the BBD thread, understand?

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

A ? What ? BBD where? quick hide it from greg!

:D :D

19. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Ask Xen about the Gikan course, i think he was there ;)

20. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Should be short then ;)