Yet another exercise order thread!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mr Punch, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

1) First: what exactly is the difference between 'relaxed stretching' and 'static stretching'?

Would I be right in saying:

Rlaxed: getting into a position, going to its comfortable max ROM and then relaxing as much as you can (esp those muscles being stretched) to increase your ROM.

Static: getting into a position to its comfortable max ROM, and just holding it...

?

2) Assuming I'm doing a big-ish general workout: I'm doing full body weights ( at the moment 10 reps of maybe 75% max with 45 sec breaks superset with completely unrelated exercises - its a fat burning and strength building routine - NROL Fat Loss 2 to be specific), but when is a good time to add in MA specific stance-work?

This stance work consists of horse stance and slowly moving out of horse stance, dragging the feet across the floor firmly, into a low feet together stance, whilst stretching the arms in various directions; and moving slowly and with some foot-drag in a low wing chun goat gripping stance. There are other variations, but basically it's kind of isometric, and maybe (if I have the answer to my question one right!) a static stretch (though not much of a stretch, as it's not as large a ROM as my weightlifting for example).

So is it best to do this kind of stance work directly after my weights?

3) When should I do yoga? I'm assuming that yoga is 'relaxed stretching', so presumably at the end of the weights and stance work is optimal?

Thanks in advance. Hope the questions are clear enough and not too tricky!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Relaxed stretching is a type of static stretching. Isometric and static-active are the other two.

Same thing.

Do it right after your weight lifting.

Yoga is much more than just relaxed stretching. It is a discipline in itself, which deserves its own dedicated time for working out. You don't need Yoga. Just do relaxed stretches at the end of every workout and you will see results. Add isometric stretches two or three times a week if you want to see results quicker.

3. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

4. Mr Punch

Passive isn't?
    Nope, you can guts it out and lock everything, or you can relax and let it take you deeper. Now, you may say the first one is stupid and not a viable option but let's be honest, it's the way a lot of MA schools do their stretching.

Thanks. So, doing forms would be a good time then too, assuming your forms don't take it out of your cardio too much?

So, you're saying I should do it on my none-weights days? Is it therefore bad to do it directly after a weights work-out.

Interesting PoV. That I enjoy it and feel great benefits is enough for me continue however, thanks.

Thanks again.

5. Mr Punch

Thanks too to you Nukky. According to that site what I was thinking of as static stretching is isometric stretching.