yesterday

Discussion in 'Judo' started by sony, Feb 2, 2006.

1. sony

sony Valued Member

i was in a bar and suddenly saw a fight. one very aggressive attacker beat up another person. they were no match, the attacker is known by one of my friends for going to soccer matches and getting into brawls regularly. the defender was probably a student in nice clothes who could do nothing an didnt even try. only tried to escape.

what i was wondering about is whether i could have defended myself in that situation. and i doubt it. the attacker did nothing else than delivering short fast blows to the head. the other one was retreating. apparently there was quite a lot of power in the punches but they also came really fast and always to the head.

now i think: what can you do, once you are moving backwards (because u didnt wat to strike first) and the other one is following you with precise, quick and continous blows to the head? i mean, u just cant stand still to try to throw him or counter because than u risk getting knocked out. u have to remain on the move backwards in order to escape the punches (esp because this guy was a known bar fighter). so what would you do once attackedby this extremely aggressive guy?

2. smiff

smiff Valued Member

I personally would retaliate with just as much aggression. Attack as hard and as quick as you can, especially when backed into a corner but what do i no lol.

Luke

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That's a tough one. It sounds like the perhaps the other guy wasn't going to be able to counter the agression anyhow. That he ended up in striking range of that kind of a bloke doesn't work in his favor. The minute someone get's off first against you it can be extremely hard to turn the fight in your favor.... despite what many of the people with all their martial arts theory will have you believe.

There are several things one could do... depending on if one had trained up:

1) Avoid the situation - a better sense of awareness of your surroundings
    (Aikido, common sense)

2) Avoid getting in firing range of the agressor
    (boxing, MT etc.)

3) Spin off the line of attack and hook him followed by combos
    (classic boxing solution)

4) Level change and shoot - hoping to improve your position with a takedown
    (BJJ, grappling)

5) Slip a punch and throw the knee to the groin, abdomen or solar plexus
    (Muay Thai, boxing)

6) Stab him - employ a weapon if you can, a knife/broken bottle/ashtray to the eye, neck, trachea, groin, forearm or the gut - and then sprint - though obviously this has consequences on a whole different level than the options above. As well one of the largest factors involved in this kind of defense is that the element of surprise is completely lost... so with that - the chances of success go down dramatically.

Again - it will all come down to how you train under and adrenalin stress scenario, in an attack like that size and weight will also become a major contributing factor - as will your ability to deal with getting hit. With someone intent on hurting you it can be very very hard to stop their forward momentum once they have launched an attack... so often times meeting a head on attack with your own agression will not work in your favor. Imagine it as two cars going head to head... one car has already reached top speed and is closing in... another car has just started up and is barely on the move... even when they meet head to head... the car with more momentum will blow right through the car that is the slow starter.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  4. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

Errrm, how about dropping low and pulling his legs out from under him, or pilling your weight on his legs, make it a ground fight?
    Step to the side and forward, try and move round behind?
    Jab out to his eyes?
    If his arms are always punching and at the head, couldn't you kick? I mean the legs will outreach arms?
    In a pub, why not put furniture between him and the attacker?

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmm...seems to me there is an echo in this thread. :rolleyes:

6. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

sounds like you do not know much about striking. continuously retreating to avoid strikes is a horrible defense. maybe one step back and then a lataeral move. two steps back is questionable.
    slip's counters are good.

7. sony

sony Valued Member

slipthejab, i was rather asking what one could do from a judo perspective.

absolutely right, i do not know much about striking. but i was not saying that it is a clever defense to continously retreat. to the contrary, i can see that it brings much trouble and this is why i ask how one can escape from that situation. i said: once you try to avoid your opponents first blow (because you hesitate to stike first) and he continues to aim for your head with constant blows what can you do to end this "vicious cycle"? how can you counter?

8. SouL

SouL Valued Member

well sounds like guy cud of used wing chun trapping rnage training to be able to react quicker enough to guy coming at you sounded like an avergae joes version of straight blast lol. stepping away and coming back with your own agro sounds like a good solution suggested by someone previously but id say depends on how good u are. Persoanlly this is where a basic bjj takedown and striking on gw wud come useful since it was one on one right? I thk if guy wud of closed distance and clinched when he was being attcked they wud have ended goin to ground anyway regardless seen it happen often in fights ive seen. normally guy who attcks first wins since even when fight goes to ground punishment continues unless guy knows gw.

You posted this in judo not self defense any reason for that? you expected people to tell you what throws to use lol?

9. sony

sony Valued Member

i didn't ask because i wanted to know a throw, Masking profanity is not allowed, please don't do it again - Freeform.

i asked in the judo forum because i do judo myself but don't think that i would have known what to do in the situation. of course clinching and trying to go to the ground would be the natural way for a judoka. but i meant this very situation in which someone is punching to your head and clinching might mean that you sustain some severe damage by that. i asked to get advice in a more general way - not as in "use that throw".

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
  10. traz

traz New Member

The damage you would sustain by moving into a clinch and taking him down would probably be alot less than just backing up, and getting hammered on.

Whenever you move in close, expect to be hit. In fact, even if you're a striker, expect to be hit. Its an inevitable part of fighting :p

11. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

Intesity is the Key

An important factor in uncontrolled fights is intensity. If you can be as intense as the guy your fighting and still understand whats going on you can win these kinds of fights.

In the situation you described it sounded like the other guy was in a flat out rage, the guy gettin beat on seemed to be submissive and passive, you cannot take a passive stance against someone who is beating on you. You have to comeback just as intense as the guy hitting you.

From a judo perspective, take a double leg takedown, I don't think submissions would be too effective in situations like this, it would put him in a situation that would infuriate him further, if you do chose submissions do a move that would seriously injure him (break something.

If you decide not to injure him with a submission, then its completely pointless to use one. It would be stalling the fight until you let go.

You would be better off taking the guy down, mounting him, and pound his face into submission. That always works.

Overall you have to be aggresive in situations like that.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  12. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

look, by backing up the opponet kept himself in the range his attacker was good at. Get in closer and clinch him. He can't thow a punch, than your in an opportunity to do throws.

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Hit him first! If you're being observent you should be able to tell when a situation is getting out of hand and when someone is goin to hit you. At least, if you do regular sparring you should. If you get first in the face it tough to win a fight against someone as aggressive as it seemed like he was.

Alot of the advise on here seems a tad unrealistic to be honest. If I was being backed up like that and punched I'd probably try to get my guard up and then grab him and try for Osoto Gari but to be honest if you are already in that situation you're in a lot of trouble!