yellow belt

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Cosmo Kramer, May 7, 2006.

1. delete me

delete me New Member

Awwwwww Shame :)))

2. bonita

bonita Valued Member

congrats it is an awesome feeling to get your first colored belt and very nerve racking when you've never tested with the instructor-- :D

3. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

Gongrads!! I take my Yellow test on the 14th of march..I'm rockin & rolling--
    Like you, I too will feel good about myself..Dont listen to knuckle heads like that.. You and I have a mission....

Robi

4. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

I passed my Yellow last night..It was a long test- I had to go through all i learned from White through now..Not to mention before the 3 of us tested..They ran us to death with running around-jumping jacks-push ups-sit ups-leg lifts-and a bunch of other stuff.. So when i started to test i was wore out. I was happy with the way I tested..I wasnt asked to repeat a thing.(thats good right?)..I'm still tired- lol..I did it- I'm now a Yellow-Purple--I know some of u wanted to know.. Thank U--
    Robi

5. stepdot

stepdot New Member

Humbling opportunity

Going from a 2nd dan in TKD to a white belt in Combat Hapkido is a "positive" humbling experience and allows me to look down and remember I have a long way to go. I would agree from a pragmatic stand point moving to yellow is symbolic yet the concept of achieving short term goals (yellow) while yearning for long term goals (black) plays a significant part in understanding the commitment and dedication one must take in order to gain wisdom. For me I can't get enough of it and turn to teaching my youngest (white belt in TKD) the finer points of chon ji when everyone else goes home.

Congratulations on your accomplishment and remember take the time every now and then to forget what car you are in long enough to roll the windows down and enjoy the ride.

6. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Gradings

Congrats to both Cosmo Kramer & Hapkido 7 for passing Yellow, do not allow small minded people to disrespect your acheivements, there sould be no easy ride in this business, there are no easy belts, the first is as important as the last, you can never stop learning, every belt has to have a respectability, or whats the point of including it in a sylabus, you learn very important things in the beginning that is and will always be the foundation of what you become as a martial artist.
    I too am going through the humbling process the same way as Stepdot, I come from long Shotokan Karate background and have happily jumped over onto the very bottom rung of the Hapkido ladder gladly and have learned very valuable lessons at each grade.... by the way , wish me luck as I am about to grade for Blue belt on April 7th with GM Fred Adams in the UK

7. laz001

laz001 Valued Member

Hey, in our school, i was told that there are only 2 grades where you are COMPULSARILY tested on everything in the syllabus that you know. (Other grades you are tested on a random slection of material, all of it would take forever i guess)

Yellow, because all you know are white belt material, and black, since you have to demonstrate you know everything.

By that reconing, i guess that makes yellow and black the most important grades in our classes!!!

Anyway, on a serious note, i remember when i joined hapkido. I'd done TKD, Judo for a while and various other arts along the way too. I thought the grading for yellow was SOOOO difficult.

Reason?

I didn't know anything, so it was totally new, alien, and i really did feel like a beginner! it was really difficult.

Every grade since then has felt slightly easier in a way, because i had gained knowledge previously to base my newer learning on!

Yellow belt material might be 'simple' and easy for someone who is higher up, but not for a beginner.

Good accomplishment guys, just keep going, and you'll be amazed by how much you can learn in hapkido.

PS: I'm taking a blue to purple belt grading on Monday coming. Testing includes techniques against chokes, a long staff weapon form, my second nunchuks weapon form, and self defence using a rope, aswell as any previous material. Been practising hard for an hour or so every night.

8. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

Thank U Sir...Trust me--My windows have been down! lol....And good luck to U in Hapkido--Robi

9. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

Thanks for your reply and support..I'm in for the long haul-- Robi

10. Alain

Alain New Member

Congratulations on your acomplishment, and yes, getting to yellow belt is an acomplishment. Many people never walk through the door and start.

I'm not a big fan of belts either, but they do represent that you learned a specific body of knowledge and are ready to start learning more. This varies from curiculum to curiculum and that is why belts do not matter much. A belt in one art or school does not equal a belt in another art or school. It does show that you have learned the requirements for your school, and that IS an acomplishment that you should be proud of attaining.

I know Jere H. and have trained with him a couple times down in Jackson, Mississippi. Good man and good instructor. Keep up the good work and learn a lot from him, he has a lot to teach.

Yours in Training,
    Alain

www.burrese.com
    www.aikiproductions.com

11. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Hi Alain,
    Slightly off the topic of this thread,but I just wanted to say the Videos you have are Great.
    I had seen the Self Defense video and after the write up Thomas gave on this board to the Joint lock videos I bought them and they are Great matertials.
    All the Best in Future products and nice to read you on these boards.

12. Alain

Alain New Member

Thank you Jim!

I'm glad you liked the Lock On dvds. Volume 3 on shoulder locks is in the works, and before the end of the year volumes 4-5 will be out too. I'm also excited about my cane dvd with Paladin Press that will be released in July.

It is always nice to know that people benefit and learn from my products.

I hope I can also help people with what I write and post on forums and on my website and blogs.

Thanks again,

Alain

www.burrese.com
    www.aikiproductions.com

13. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

Than you Sir for your inpute..By the way kick butt on your test!!
    Robi

14. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Thanks for your reply, & yes... Butt was dutifully KICKED ! sometimes mine & sometimes theirs My 2 coleagues and I all passed our next is Brown tab....getting on to the good stuff now.

good luck with your martial arts journey

will speak again soon

Yakka

15. Hapkido7

Hapkido7 New Member

Congrads Yakka! Thanks for all your input...I wont let u down...

Robi