Yaw-Yan

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by insearchoftheul, May 22, 2006.

1. insearchoftheul

insearchoftheul New Member

Hey guys! i wanna train yaw-yan but i'm a bit hesitant. i wanna make sure that it's the right martial art for me. can anyone give me the pros and cons of yaw-yan? is it fast? is it powerful? is it effective for street fights? how bout for competitions?

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

3. weebear

weebear Valued Member

It seems to be expensive to train yaw yan, I called them but decided against it as the cost was way to high.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yawyan? expensive? how expensive? where?

over here it's pretty cheap.

5. insearchoftheul

no, you see i'm in the philippines. this is where yaw-yan originated. so learning yaw-yan is pretty cheap. i wanna know if studying it is worth my time.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

if you are here, then go to a temple already. take your pick...
    makati- yy ardigma,
    pasay- yy pasay,
    cubao, yy-cubao,
    q.c.- yy v. luna,
    antipolo- hybrid yy.

deftac has yawyan so any deftac also.

go now!

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

the only way for you to know if it is right for you, is try it and see for yourself.

8. insearchoftheul

yaw-yan practitioner

anybody here a yaw-yan practitioner? where do you train? under who?

9. Amok

Amok Valued Member

know yourself first before you pick what art best fits you. If you hate training, YY is not for you.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

If you hate training then any FMA is not for you;)

Best regards

Pat

11. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

as far as i know, i can't afford training in some gyms primarily coz of budget constraints... but luckily ways kept coming for me to try and study. yaw-yan has members ranging from cigarette vendors, pedicab drivers, and self-supporting students to politicians and celebrities.

so i personally think money is not a problem. if you find it expensive, i could give you installment options, you just need to save two bottle-prices of beer a day. :Angel: i'll just need your commitment. :D

im one. training in pasay under sir emiliano zapata, sir saladin dacuyan, and sir arnold dacuyan. doing cross training in ardigma-makati when im overloaded with work.

12. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I guess it depends on how highly you think of yourself.
    :)

13. weebear

weebear Valued Member

That was in Pasay, they asked 5000 per week when i contacted them. To me thats expensive even by western standards.

14. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Dude, are you serious!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable. Burungkol? WHat do you say?

15. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

5000 a week?!?!?! you didn't call a massage parlor by mistake did you? :rolleyes: i think you were given a wrong price... that price isn't for training... even westerners won't be able to afford that price for FMA training.

-nico-

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

weebear, im thinking you've been misinformed. actually, we have two different training option - private and classes. private, of course, would cost much as in other arts/gym would.

for discussion's sake, in regular classes, we have two membership packages in pasay (please note that other gyms have their different rates depending on location and target area/students)...

package #1 is offered basically to tourists and foreigners which is on a monthly basis - this costs 1200 pesos per month. 3 sessions per week, 2 hours per session.

package #2 is the common choice of almost everyone i know - lifetime membership. last year, in 2005, we priced it at 5500 pesos that comes with an installment option so it is very very affordable to everyone. this package includes unlimited training and gym use for the rest of your life.

cheap huh????:p

for this year, 2006, we've modified the training rates and packages to make it more affordable and benificial to everyone. you may check out our blog in my signature below for the updates. same rules apply for the packages.

i hope this clear things up. :p

mods - i hope its ok that i posted these details for discussion purposes. thanks!

17. Amok

Amok Valued Member

:D Actually that is true for evey art out there depending how good one wants to be . To me however ,there isn't a more rigid training system than YY. In the early 90's , amateur fighters were made to throw 40 kicks per round. I'm not talking about kicks like some point system kicking arts but power kicks. While you're trying to get in your minimum kicks, so is your opponent. Question was, who could do more damge in the first rd. That was back in my day though. Don't know what it's like these days.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  18. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

these rules are still imposed in some (not all) matches up to this date. whenever i join scheduled sparring matches in the gym.... using these rules, im always expecting to push myself into my gassed-out limits. its really tough and very exhausting... :cry: but, im proud to say that, thru repetitions, it greatly increases my stamina and endurance. :love:

19. weebear

weebear Valued Member

20. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

Who quoted you that price?

-nico-