YAW YAN question

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by shuyun3, Aug 15, 2012.

1. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

[​IMG]

Anyone from Yaw Yan here? Anyone spell it as YAO Yan? Anyone here heard that it's a reconfigured JKD for the Philippines and that it has a belt System?

I really find this post strange.

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The guy is blowing smoke up people's rear ends. The majority of JKD'ers wouldn't know YAW YAN if it kicked them in the nuts. It's not a system they are familiar with. As a matter of fact the majority of JKD'ers that I have seen who say things such as 'this is from Sikaran' wouldn't know Sikaran if it kicked the in the teeth either and what they do bears no relation to the Sikaran I have witnessed in the Philippines.

This is another one of those living in a fantasy world look at me I know everything type of guys.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Yao Yan is the original spelling that GM Nap Fernandez used way way back in the day. In the 70s if I am not mistaken.

4. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

It's actually Yaw Yan short for SaYAW ng KamataYAN. It means Dance of Death in Tagalog.

5. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Yaw Yan is a Filipino hybrid martial art to itself and it more resembles the Muay system of kickboxing in Indochina, not Jeet Kun Do.

There are various JKD classes around Metro Manila though I still question the legitimacy of some like the one in Makati Cinema Square.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Fact: The old yaw yan (yao yan) had judo mixed into it for it's grappling component.

Fact: Yaw yan has been sending people to fight muay thai in thailand for decades.

Fact: Most Muay kru and adjarn in the Philippines were once yaw yan

Fact: Hybrid yaw yan has a bjj component to it.

Fact: the big @$$ yawyan bag has a tree trunk as it's core.

Fact: I miss training in yaw yan.