Yaw-Yan clips... opinions please

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by slipthejab, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Viking

Viking Valued Member

hi,

There are knee and elbow strikes in yaw-yan.i think ,these strikes are mainly taught for self defense ( the street fighting style) and some of them are used in Yaw-Yan matches too.

I am qouting here some sentences about Yaw yan from an article which came in IKF magazine.

The author says

"Knee attacks are also included in the Yaw Yan arsenal , but most practitioners prefer to attack, as their kicks can be delivered from close range to long ranges."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Eh. . . . . are those guys from IKF saying that Knees are defensive rather than offensive techniques?

3. Viking

Viking Valued Member

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  5. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi infrazel,

sorry ,there is a mistake in my previous post about knee strike.

It's like

"Knee attacks are also included in the Yaw Yan arsenal , but most practitioners prefer to kick, as their kicks can be delivered from close range to long ranges."

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've seen them pulled off to great effect. One needs to look no further than my thread in the MT forum on such. :D

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45295

There are others out there as well.

7. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

A good spin timed correctly can do damage. I like the short, very tight spin back kick into the gut. I thought benny the jet had that down pat, he would spin in tight, hit the stomach then get back onto his feet and spring into a hand attack. Coming out of nowhere it can definitely off set the opponent especially in an evenly matched fight where one needs that special little something to edge across.

8. slipthejab

too right. One can easily be spoiled by seeing Benny the Jet pull those off.
    KAPOW!!!!!

I'll have to dig up some clips of that and post them. Additionally from really putting an opponent off his game... they wow the crowd and judges score them well.

9. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

Yaw-Yan and MuayThai

Greetings my friends...

Im Wanlu and I do both Yaw-Yan and MuayThai...I have been with Yaw-Yan since 1988 and only started doing MuayThai a few years ago. Im not a fighter but I love both arts...

Yaw-Yan is not Philippinized MuayThai :love:

The principles are different and the techniques are different. I wont be studying MuayThai if its the same...

As for the Mountain storm kick (Lulod Pabulusok), what I can tell you that its a Yaw-Yan kick...if by any chance they also teach the same kick in MuayThai, it does not mean that Yaw-Yans copied it from MuayThai. You have to understand that Yaw-Yan was established in the Philippines by the late 1960's and we didnt have any MuayThai background in the Philippines then...another thing I can add is that the way the webmaster in yawyan.com dscribed the Mountain storm kick might be just a bit too hyped. :) it sounds like its a super kick as compared to MuayThai roundhouse...well its not a super kick. I wont be surprised if other styles teach the same kick under a different name. Its just that Yaw-Yans specially in the early 1970's to the late 1980's used the Mountain storm kick to win their bouts against Karate experts who found the Mountain storm kick peculiar and extremely strong thus making it difficult to defend against.

In the late 1980's, I personally witnessed Yaw-Yan fighters win fights using the Mountain storm kick. Mostly to the opponents' legs but sometimes even to the face for a KO. Its easier watched than actually learn the kick and use it in an actual fight or sparring. It takes a lot of timing and power as well as flexibility to be able to execute it in a fight.

As for photos...pictures cant show you the kick. Pictures will only show you that its a Roundhouse kick because its so similar to theta kick. The difference is how it was executed.

Also recently, the OngBak film showed a kick which is part of the Yaw-Yan arsenal since the late 1960's. Some people say that its an old MuayThai kick and I personally dont care wether its MuayThai or Yaw-Yan...I just love the fact that its part of Yaw-Yans arsenal and not in any way copied from MuayThai

We call it the Yaw-Yan Back kick and the Scorpion kick...

I love both MuayThai and Yaw-Yan...matched with grappling and weapons like Arnis :Angel:

Attached is a photo of the Scorpion kick. Picture taken 1969

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  10. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

i think 'Disco McNasty' (bg) is taking exception to 'Mr Night Fever'(fg) wearing the same 'pants' as him.
    When Disco goes full contact!

-Qis

11. slipthejab

Nice post. Thanks for the info and the photo. Much appreciated. :)

12. wanlu99

Ive added photos of the Yaw-Yan Back Kick executed by Yaw-Yans Emiliano Zapata against Bakbakans Tisoy Siscon circa 1990? at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. Zapata won by TKO

And the Mountain Storm Circa late 1970's (Picture can not show the execution of the kick)

My personal oppinin about Yaw-Yan and MuayThai is that I love both styles and it would be great to see MauyThai fighters go up against Yaw-Yans in the future...

Yaw-Yans Zapata defeated MuayThai fighter BamBoon Lamban (Not sure of spelling) at the Rizal stadium in Manila billed as Yaw-Yan vs MuayThai.But that does not mean in any way possible that Yaw-Yan is better than MuayThai...

Currently, Im more into MuayThai than Yaw-Yan.I love MuayThai's method of teaching and its drills.

The National MuayThai team of the Philippines is also being managed by former Yaw-Yan fighters who had to train under MuayThai...only proves that Yaw-Yan is not MuayThai or vice versa. But Yaw-Yans similarity to MuayThai gave Yaw-Yans the edge to excell in MuayThai and I wont be surprised if MuayThai fighters also excell in a Yaw-Yan competition.

There is no ONE perfect style of fighting...even the great fighters will tell you to learn whats effective :)

More power to all of you.

Attached Files:

13. wanlu99

Sir Julius Villaflores heads Yaw-Yan Cebu...Yaw-Yan Cebu is one of the strongest Yaw-Yan clubs in the Philippines if not the strongest. Yaw-Yan Central gym is in Bulacan but recently stopped accepting students since the Master is training about 10 fighters to fight in Thailand.

Yaw-Yan Pasay recently held the Elite Striking Championship (ESC) and Yaw-Yans did well against top kickboxing styles in Manila.

Yaw-Yan ArDigma Makati holds a regular fight night at the Makati gym...theres one this Sat which will also feature some fighters from the National MuayThai team.

Hybrid Yaw-Yan is a style that combines BJJ, Sambo with Yaw-Yan and their fighters are doing good in URCC (a local MMA competiton in Manila)

The Videos reffered to in this thread features ONLY the fighters of Yaw-Yan Makati Team...Yaw-Yan Cebu and Team Pasay stables more senior fighters. :) not to mention Yaw-Yan Central gym which stables fighters bound for Thailand this year.

Sir...How can I get a hold of a copy of your video of Sir Villaflores.

Wanlu

Attached is a photo of what Yaw-Yans kick during training...nothing special but its really a good tool to harden your shin and add power to your kicks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  14. Kadaj

Kadaj New Member

I would never kick that thing! lol

15. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

yaw-yan baton bag

another picture... here's the heavy bag that we use in yaw-yan, our so-called baton bag - 7-ft tall, hardwood cored, rubber cement filled bag. the picture below is taken at our yaw-yan pasay gym. :D

Attached Files:

16. slipthejab

Wanlu and Burungkol

Thanks for taking the time to post. Those photos are great!

Wanlu - did the whole oldschool feel of those shots. How long have you been training in Yaw Yan?

Additionally (forgive me if I missed it before) what is the literal translation of Yaw Yan?

Burungkol
    - great shot of that little kid going to work on that bag. Crazy looking bag... gotta love PI people can make stuff when they need something... they don't sit around whining that they haven't got gear to train with. :D

17. wanlu99

Hi slipthejab...

Ive been with Yaw-Yan since 1988...I use to fight in inter Yaw-Yan fights but Im just not cut to be a fighter...I guess Im a lover :) I had my own Yaw-Yan gym in Manila which I had to give up after two years because of some problems we had with my partners.

I started doing MuayThai since the National MuayThai Team are mostly from Yaw-Yan...and I love the training in MuayThai...its different from Yaw-Yan in a lot of ways but also similar in some aspects of fighting...I have to confess that I learned a lot of things in MuayThai that I didnt learn in Yaw-Yan and Im sure you wont be surprised that there are also a lot of things in Yaw-Yan that are not part of MuayThai...

Yaw-Yan is the last sylables of the words "SAYAW ng KAMATAYAN" which means DANCE OF DEATH...

I will gurantee you that if you train in Yaw-Yan, your MuayThai skills will be enhanced...although I doubt if you still need to enhance your skills :)

More power to you Sir...

Attached is my photo with Kru Billy Alumno( Red Shorts) at the National MuayThai Training Center in ULTRA Stadium...

Attached Files:

18. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Wanlu,

Can you explain about the elbows and knee strikes of Yawyan as these strikes are not much used in those matches.I read majority of Yawyan elbowing and kneeing techniques are effective and is used in the street style(self defense) of yaw yan.How would you compare the elbows and knees of yawyan to that of Muay thai.Can you say about the street fighting aspects of yawyan as most people think it's just a kickboxing style.

19. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

thanks sir slipthejab! these bags are the ones we mainly use for conditioning. like most gyms, we also have different bags to work with - depending on the student's level of conditioning. i myself took exactly 3 months to kick the baton bag 15 times in succession. during my first months, hitting the baton bag was like hell for me... i'd oftentimes go to work with purple shins because of heavy bruising. :D

20. slipthejab

Thanks for the info on where the words Yaw Yan come from. Interesting stuff. In PI they have more slang terms than anywhere else in the world I've ever been. While Yaw Yan is not exactly slang it does remind of many of the words that I've heard over the years in PI. :)

As for running your own gym. That is a tough road. I've seen my trainer go through three gyms in a less than two years. Business partners in that business are a funny thing.

Cheers for that shot... very cool. I'll have to dig out a shot of me and my trainer.:D