Yang Style Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by dredleviathan, Jan 21, 2004.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi All.

A friend of mine is beginning to teach me Yang Style Tai Chi as she requires a student and I have been interested in Tai Chi for some time but never had the time to really have a look at it before. If it helps I know that there are 24 moves/postures (?) in the form I am currently learning

Anyway I just wondered if anyone else here practices this form and also if there are any good sources of information about it on the web?

Obviously I could just do a Google search but I would prefer a recommendation as there is no judging the quality of returns you get from a Google search.

Thanks,

Dred

2. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

without being disrespectful try the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Tai Chi and Qigong" by alpha books. it illustrates 64 step Yang style tai chi

3. Darren

Darren Valued Member

The form you are learning was apparently created by Chen Man Ching... so try searching for that.

4. ranger

ranger New Member

24 is i think the common forms in all styles of tai chi. i practice wu style tai chi chuan. :)

5. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

6. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks for all your help guys.

Jimmytofu that site was brilliant - exactly what I needed to see to give me a better idea of how I should be moving... long way to go by the looks of it!

Cheers,

Dred

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

get YMAA's book on theory n application of yang 24... it'll go long way than the 24 form from taiji.de it's good for a reference but don't perform as it is... as she is performing quite low stances... that should be avoided for some months...
    -TkdWarrior-

8. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Book

Hi TKD warrior - do you mean this book ?

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

u got it right... that's the same... there's another by same author talking about getting basics right...
    this is another tho it says for advance but worth buying... infact i think most books frm yang jwing ming are worth buying...

http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/taichitheora.html

then there's another book with sample pages... check it out...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Darren

Darren Valued Member

If you're patient I'll let you know what Tai Chi Theory And Martial Power is like. It's due to be delivered next week... I say patient because I'm reading a BK Frantzis book atm (half way through), and I'm a slow reader (I will sometimes read a section twice to make sure I understand the copy). :)

So I'll be finished... around summer I expect :D

11. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

No problem ;)

I'm not too experienced in Tai Chi. My only advice is relax, don't over stretch and try and move with your breathing (seems work better).

12. KevinS

KevinS New Member

Dred,

While you're at it. Pick up Mike Sigmund's videos on internal strength. He does a great job of explaining the physics of internal power thru exercises, etc. Well worth it.

KevinS

13. Mad Yakker

Mad Yakker Valued Member

Cheng Man Ching created e 37 forms not 24 forms!! :eek:

14. BudG

BudG New Member

The 24 movement form is a shortened version of the Yang Long Form. It is a standardized version developed by the Chinese Sports Commision in 1956.