YA Dojo thread - Bujinkan Boston?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by dra_uk, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

I fear this is the kind of comment that I wanted to avoid; I'm extremely happy with the instruction I receive, but I certainly am not drinking any Kool-aid.

I also would appreciate not turing this thread into a "My kan is better than your kan" bun fight. Thanks.

2. Brett Wiesner

Brett Wiesner New Member

Come train anytime...

First, thanks for all the support guys!

My name is Brett and I'm one of the guys that runs the Boston Jissen Kobudo Shibu in Cambridge.

We'd be happy to have you (or anyone) come by and train with us. No brain-washing or kool-aid, just good, hard keiko with focus on kihon and fundamentals.

You can find out more info (including contact information) here:
    www.bostonjissenkobudo.com

Thanks,
    Brett

3. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Many thanks for your reply. I wasn't implying anything about you with my statement about Kool-aid, I was just trying to say that although I am a Bujinkan member, I'm not brainwashed. I'm well aware of the... varied levels of instruction that one is likely to receive within my organisation, which is why I was asking for insight about dojos in the area. :D

4. jonfmerz

jonfmerz New Member

LOL, so Mark, when will you next be near Boston? I'd love to meet you and have you come in to train with us on a Friday night. I know Mark would really enjoy having you swing by. I know I would.

5. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Why? Do you need someone to show you how to move correctly?

- Mark Spada

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

If that is your clip and you believe the techniques in that demonstration are even remotely applicable in live combat then you are seriously deluded.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Off of the basis of the video clip in Mark Spada's post I was exposed to this clip of Jon F. Merz's Sakki godan test.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10VhzZWdH4&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Jon F. Merz Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu / Ninjutsu Godan Test - February 16, 2003‬‏[/ame]

... what are people's opinions of what occures at 0:06 - 0:07 ie Hatsumi's actions?

This isn't a dig at Jon, it's just caught my attention.

8. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Hold on, I'll field this one.

Hatsumi doesn't just base the godan test on whether or not the person avoids the cut; it's if they move when they're supposed to. At the time indicated, Hatsumi clearly sends his intention to cut right before he actually did cut. As you can see, Merz started his roll after feeling the intention of the cut, not based on sensing the movement of the sword.

Right? Am I right?

9. Killa_Gorillas

haha do I detect a note of irony? seems like a pretty easy test. He'd may as well of had a starting pistol.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Turns out I am taking a road trip through the United States next week, from Portland to south Florida. However, Boston is not on my itinerary.

Too bad; from the looks of your videos, you guys are in pretty bad shape and could use all the help you can get.

And by the way, please stop sending me friend requests on facebook.

Thanks.

- Mark Spada

11. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Hatsumi popping up on the balls of his feet before cutting down probably didn't hurt either.

12. jonfmerz

jonfmerz New Member

LMAO, yeah, Mark, come and show me how to move correctly. But you won't. You'll always make an excuse to not show up and put your money where you mouth is. It's cute when you guys all spew your keyboard bravado.

If any of you ever do get to Boston and have the stones to show up, be sure to drop me a line at <don't give out your email address> and let me know when you'll be here so I can be sure to get into the dojo in Boston to accommodate you. I don't always make it in on Friday nights but I'll be sure to if you wanna-be tough guys ever come to town.

So...who's first?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  13. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

The "stones"? Jesus....how old are you?

So far, no one has made some sort of internet challenge to your obvious lack of self-esteem; neither has their been some sort of physical challenge presented.

You can get cranky and react with as much defensive belligerence as you want. The fact of the matter is your movement sucks. Anyone with even a modicum of legitimate training can see that. I suggest that you humble yourself and respectfully patronize the local Jinenkan dojo and start over from scratch.

Or don't....I really don't care either way.

- Mark Spada

14. jonfmerz

jonfmerz New Member

LMAO, the local Jinenkan dojo is run by two fools who couldn't hack the training in Boston. Mike Migliozzi is <we don't allow personal attacks> And Brett Wiesner left when he felt that he wasn't being promoted quickly enough for his liking - and the simple fact was he didn't have the skill necessary to be advanced. Nice guy, but got caught up in thinking he should have been ranked higher than he was. So he left.

I've dealt with passive-aggressive losers like you before, Mark. So, come and teach me how to move. Come teach me how to be as awe-inspiring as you seem to think you are. I've put my stuff on the line before and I'm always happy to do it again. My philosophy has always been this: you'll either kick my ass or you won't. But I don't shy away from putting it on the line. The stuff I've learned from Mark Davis has saved my life on more than one occasion. I'm grateful for that. You think you can do better? Let's go.

15. Killa_Gorillas

LOL so you accept challenge matches at your dojo? That's what you seem to be implying. Do you even spar?

16. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Enough with the ****ing contests gentlemen otherwise I will close the thread.

Thanks in advance.

17. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

If this happens, please YouTube it? It'd be interesting to see how your critics move comparatively.

Good on you for standing up for yourself and your dojo.

:cool:

18. jonfmerz

jonfmerz New Member

Apologies, Kogusoku, for that. I'll keep things in line with forum rules.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I think it's best that this thread be closed before further bad blood is encouraged. Other topic mods or global mods, please re-open the thread if you believe it has any merit.

Bad mouting others is something you leave for PMs not for all and sundry to read. If you had conducted yourself a little better, with out the testosterone fuelled bravado and not bitten when people were trying to bait you and given veiled challenges, things would have worked out differently in this thread.

It reflects badly on both your teachers and your students. You always have to take a deep breath and think before posting. *That goes for everyone!*

You want to do dojo yaburi? Knock yourselves out, just please don't involve MAP or anyone else, take it to e-mail or PM. If things go all to hell, this will all be used as evidence against you.

You don't have to get along, but it has been proven in in prior threads on this subforum that you can get along cordially.

Edit: When I mean "You" it's a collective.

Thanks very much gentlemen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.