Xue's recovery and return log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

June 06, 2021

I started my last training long on July 17, 2017; Old guy training I am going to close it today and start a new one. I am obviously older and I am facing a different situation. I have knee replacement surgery coming this Friday and I am going to try and track the recovery and hopefully my return to martial arts training.

I also may potentially be facing another knee replacement surgery and possibly both hips too... time will tell

Obviously I hope to return to Taijiquan, I am a long time Yang stylist, I also have training in Chen, Wu and a little Sun style and I hope to return to Chen and continue Sun. There are also a couple others I am thinking about, but more on that later should that training occur.

But first is surgery and then several weeks of getting flexibility and strengthening.

Hope to start this sometime next weekend, depending on pain levels and how many meds I am on that make me loopy

Today I am 6'1" tall (or I was, I'm old and likely shrinking) and thanks to a lot of sitting around due to knee, hip and various other arthritis issues I am currently at 234 lbs (approx. 106K). I was at 240 not to long ago and I hope, after recovery, I can move more and lose more. When all this knee/arthritis stuff started to shut me down I was 225lbs

Well, enough from me, I have to go mow my lawn...... I mean it is only 90F (32.22C) out there.

axelb and Nachi like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

So you are sarting afresh here, I see - different corcumstances, different log.

I hope you knee surgery goes well and you will be able to recover quick and hopefully get back to training, too.
    Keep us updated :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

all the best on the knee surgery, and I look forward to the progress log; in particular how many calories on the mowing the lawn :D

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

June 9, 2021

Pre surgery update
    I have been doing all the leg exercises they want me to do and I have been doing some seated aerobic, light dumbbell work.

trying to lose weight pre-surgery, I am down to 232.

axelb likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Tomorrows the big day....

axelb likes this.
  6. Xue Sheng

Well, Surgery over, not sure I'd do it again though.

Lots of pain, spent last night in a ER for 8 hours to make sure I did not have a blood clot or an infection. I was running a fever and passing out a lot. No blood clot, no infection, and the Oxycodone was lowering my blood pressure and when I stood up, I'd pass out..... so no more oxycodone

Today less pain, but still not walking well, even with a walker

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I hope the recovery progresses well, that sounds like a rough start to the process

Xue Sheng likes this.
  8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

That sounds quite awful :( I hope you will get better soon and will be able to use your knee better. Speedy recovery! :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

June 16, 2021

OK, I guess this is recovery work day one

Went to first Physical Therapy appointment today and I have decided Physical Therapists are mean....

Took measurements, how far I can bend and how straight I can get my leg and I have a long way to go

Sat on the edge of the table 15 to bend leg 90 degrees, use other leg to push back, 5 second hold (hurt)
    Sat on the edge of the table did 15 leg raises, hold 5 seconds (hurt)
    Lay on table, with roll under ankle 15 quad flex to straighten leg (hurt)
    Lay on table, calf stretch with strap on foot (easy)
    Lay on table leg raise with strap, Hamstring stretch (hurt)

Now the fun begins

Lay on table, on back, physical therapist physically push my leg flat, 5 second hold, 3 times (quite painful)
    Sit on edge of table, physical therapist physically pushed leg back to attempt to get a 90 degree bend (quite painful)

I did ask if tapping out or saying uncle work....I was told no :)

Given exercises to do at home.
    Torture session 2 Friday

Mitch, axelb and Nachi like this.
  10. Xue Sheng

June 17, 2021

Did the assigned knee/leg exercises twice today. And yes they do hurt

Mitch likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

June 18, 2021

Did PT assigned knee exercises
    Endured PT torture session #2

Was able to do some very light, mostly aerobic, arm work
    24 Curls
    24 Tricep extensions
    24 Rotator cuff exercise
    24 Fles

axelb likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

June 19, 2021

Did not do one dang thing, took the day off

June 18, 2021

Some very light, mostly aerobic, arm work
    24 Curls
    24 Tricep extensions
    24 Rotator cuff exercise
    24 Seated Flies
    30 Chest press
    24 bent arm press (on back)
    24 Chest Flies (on back)
    24 Overhead Rows

axelb likes this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Messed the previous post up, it was not June 18, it was June 20

14. Xue Sheng

June 21, 2021

PT knee exercises this morning
    PT this afternoon, they added some strength exercises, and yes it all pretty much hurt a lot

15. Xue Sheng

June 22, 2021

Some very light, mostly aerobic, arm work
    24 Curls
    24 Tricep extensions
    24 Rotator cuff exercise
    24 Seated Flies
    30 Chest press
    24 bent arm press (on back)
    24 Chest Flies (on back)
    24 Overhead Rows
    50 Crunches

They took off the dressing and took out the staples today. It appears I have an infection in the knee, I am now on antibiotics and have to see the MD again next week.

16. Xue Sheng

Have not posted every day, because it would be rather repetitive nad very boring....or at least more boring than it already is

Had another PT torture visit today, first time I felt like there was some progress, I sm now using 1 crutch. However I am still not sleeping through the night, woken up by pain. Was told today that this pain at night would be the norm for 10 to 18 weeks.....

17. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

That sounds really sucky, sorry that you have to deal with that for so long.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  18. Xue Sheng

July 1, 2021

Had an issue with my current PT group, simply do not understand the race, and why, only 2 weeks in, they take my one crutch from me and make me walk without it...that did not go well....

Had an MD appointment today, they think I am right were I need to be and I use crutches or cane as long as I need to.

I am changing PT groups. Back to the one I used for the prior 2 meniscus repairs...

I will do the majority of the exercises they gave me and a few more stretches I have from the martial arts background. And to be honest, I am getting mre out of the MA stretches than the stretches they gave me.

19. Xue Sheng

July 04, 2021

Still doing all PT exercises, added 2 stretches and and started one straightening exercise for the hamstring. Had to wear a brace on the left knee to give it a rest. It may be next on the joint replacement hit parade, but I can't ford to have it give out now

And added the Wuji standing posture of Sun Lutang. Got to 5 minutes and 38 seconds before the new knee told me to sit down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  20. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Keep going and dont over do it

Xue Sheng likes this.