XMA - Xtreme Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ninja01, May 29, 2010.

1. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

I wasn't sure where to place this. Is anyone into it? For those who may not know XMA incorporates martial arts, acrobatics, and gymnastics. Better explanation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_martial_arts

I've been curious about this for awhile, but I don't know where to start. I believe its important to have a traditional martial arts background, with any style, but its also fun to branch off and use what you've learned and incorporate it together into something amazing. I would love to find somewhere in my area that specializes, or knows something about this, but thats unlikely.

I guess my question is, for those who do or know someone who does this, how did they get into it, where did you go, how did you get better?

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

No.:)

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Plyometrics, it's mostly gymnastics/acrobatics, mixed in with some kicks and poses here and there. Google plyometric training, or how to jump higher stuff, and start from there.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I used to "trick"; which is the underground scene where XMA came from.

Alot of fun but takes ALOT of fitness and dedication.

Though at least with XMA you get matts and instructors, me being a "home grown" tricker had to learn my whole arsenal; 540's, aerials, backtucks, butterflys in a grassy field.... sometimes I'd use an old mattress.

So with XMA you may not need to go through all the pain and injuries that some of the tricking people do.

5. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I can see the appeal, but I've also seen wushu freestyle that looks more or less the same, so don't like another label for the sake of saying "Yeah but I do something different." That and there was a time when a lot of XMAers (or seemed to be every other act was) on Britain's Got Talent so my mother would call me downstairs to see it coz she knows I'm into martial arts. Talk about negative association xD

I like a bit of staff twirling in my free time, though it's mostly an exercise in flow and coordination than anything else.

Having said that if I could flip about the place like a psychotic cartoon ninja, lord knows I wouldn't be sitting here typing about it xD

6. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

xma seems to be dying out and tricking/parkour/free running seems to be much more popular.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you are into XMA, you should be able to find a dojo with dedicated classes. They are springing up more frequently due to the popularity of the discipline. Some of the best XMAers in the world hold regular training camps, so maybe you can attend one depending on where you live.

Loopkicks would be one example:

http://www.teamloopkicks.com/

8. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Loopkicks are a tricking team, not really XMA.

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

When it comes to this area of things I prefer 'performance wushu' to XMA.

When I think of XMA I picture glowing pink glitter 'chucks, ridiculously flamboyant gis, hideous music and KKKKKKIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAing.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Many of their members have strong TMA backgrounds and continue to compete on the open freestyle forms circuit. They have a strong presence at events like the US Open.

11. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

I think XMA is very pleasing to the eye with the MA and Gymnastics coming together well, if properly executed.

12. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I have to say I agree with that. And don't forget the shirt ripping if it's the guys from Britain's Got Talent lol every performance would involve tearing their shirts off.

Tis all swings and roundabouts though innit. I can appreciate the physical skill (and mental ballsiness) in both wushu and xma, I just dislike the perception that XMA is better than TMA for most people. Used to have videos on youtube of decent kihon, and got really hateful comments because it wasn't exciting and stuff, as if XMA is the only way martial arts can be.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It isn't? :confused: :p