Xiphoid Process

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Stuart H, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

What is the effect of striking the xiphoid process?

The point is a "forbidden" acupuncture point. Why is this?

2. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Could you elaborate on the location of the point and its associated functions?

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The xiphoid is the bottom of the sternum. Striking it, much as pushing against it in CPR, could puncture the heart, lungs, stomach, or possibly an enlarged liver. Its a no-no area in medicine.

5. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

In terms of the acupuncture point, it is ren 15, and the luo connecting point on the channel. As an acupuncture student, we were not taught that this was dangerous to needle, and certainly nothing was forbidden about it.

Striking it, on the other hand? Dunno.

6. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I don't see why acupuncture there would be a problem, the needle can't put enough force on it to do any damage. A solid strike there (and by solid I mean about a pound of direct force) could snap it off and cause bad things. It's not necessarily the process being broken that causes problems, it's the fact that you have this jagged piece of bone floating around your chest next to some very vital organs...

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Just for the record, the only "forbidden points" I know of in terms of needling are Stomach 17, and Ren 8-- your nipple and your belly button, respectively. Try doing a pressure point there sometime.

8. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

I was always told that if anyone poked you in the bellybutton, your bum fell off. Is this true?

:D

9. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Only if you want to get really technical about it. :)