Xinyi and/or Xingyi ???

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by ZillaBilla, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Greetings, I'm not a practitioner of either of these arts, though I have done research in to them or it. From my understanding it is the same art with the name spelt differently, generally meaning Mind/Intent (Yi) - Form boxing (Xin or Xing). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

Xin Yi came first, Xing Yi came later.

There is no difference in arts, except that Xin Yi has only 10 animals, and Xing Yi has 12.

Xin = Internal spirit
    Xing = External spirit (i.e. Spirit of Nature)

3. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Thanks Guo,

Don’t mean to be a pain, but what’s the difference between internal and external spirit. The only thing I understand from that at the moment is that one is within and one is without. Is it something to do with energy being cultivated from inside and/or outside oneself?

4. Guo_Xing_Yi

Its not about cultivation, but rather harmonising the energy between self and opponent and nature. Its a _really_ long topic to get into, and I dont have the time. If you want to find out, you can buy the first volume in a series of books i've been working on which can tell you all your answers, and give you some material to learn/work from depending on your experience.

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

You need to post the characters but I think you may be refering to Xin yi Ba.Which is a different character (Xin1st tone for heart)to Xing Yi Quan, Xing2 for form/shape

Xin Yi Ba is literally heart intention movements and has conections with XYQ but from the demostrations I have seen, is not the same.
    But it would be easier if you posted the characters.

6. Guo_Xing_Yi

Its the same as what you've pointed out. Except that as far as I am aware, xin yi ba is not an art, but more of a series of exercises within xin yi.