Xingyiquan once a month ?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by SB1970, Aug 7, 2007.

1. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

Very quick question guys and gals
    Can you learn Xingyiquan with one two hour lesson once a month?
    (I would practise every day on my own)
    I just want to know if this is possible or not

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Yes it is, but it ain't worth it. With moving Qigong is too easy to make mistakes and carrying on with them. It's like the tree example, would you rather keep the tree straight or allow it to bend?

It'll take you an awful amount of time to get it right.

3. middleway

middleway Valued Member

I dont agree.

I think if you learn correctly it is fine.

Learn how the legs are held in san ti in the first few lessons and do nothing else till they are right ... then the body ... nothing else till its right ... etc etc

It might take you a year or so to begin moving ... but thats a good thing ... by that point with daily practice in individual aspects of san ti and putting them all together you will have a good base to work from.

go for it ... but be honest with your training and train HARD!

cheers
    Chris

4. Taijiman

Taijiman Valued Member

It's hard to say without knowing you, but you could probably get some benefit from it. Your progress will be very slow, and you will definitely need some experienced people to practice with more regularly at some point, but I think it's still better than sitting around and doing nothing ;)

5. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Once a month is fine.

With you on this one middleway.

You only need to see your sifu once a month to progress.
    Xing Yi Quan needs to be practiced with a lot of repitition so seeing your Sifu too frequently is not necessary.

If you have a 2 hour lesson every month you will have plenty of time to put in the hours of practice needed.

Once you have been shown and have had a little practice in basic form and some gong fa's then it is up to you to develop your skills. Your Sifu is only your guide, and cannot "give" you Kung Fu, only you can do that.

Seeing a skilled teacher once per month is much better then seeing a poor one 3 times per week.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I also agree with Middleway,
    This is actually how I have trained in Tai Chi and Hsing I, this is how my teacher mentioned that some teachers used to train students in "the old days" was give them the moves/postures/applications then they have to practice over and over to come back in a month and subtlely change them.

The only thing is with this method, leave your Sifu/teacher with no questions. Make sure you understand everything so you don't go practicing wrong for a month at a time. this can ulitmately be quite frustrating.