心意六合 (XingYi Liu He)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by YouKnowWho, Apr 5, 2013.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In the following clips, you can see a lot of solo drills left and right. If you just pick up any drill and try it yourself, you will get a feeling about "power generation". A good power generation system doesn't need many years to learn.

If you look at the 1st clip from 0.01 to 0.16. It's just a simple downward strike (or pull). You can see that his whole body is unified as one single unit. When he moves, all body parts move. When he stops, all body parts stops. Also you can see that his body is moving along with his arm and not just moving his arm without moving his body.

His breathing and footwork are also interest. Also interest "pull your opponent arms apart and headbutt" start at 1.24 that you just don't see it commonly appears in most MA forms.

What's your opponent on these clips.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03GTXoxX5Y"]心æ„å…*åˆæ‹³ - XinYiLiuHe Various Forms - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bQ6kvMMAY"]心æ„å…*åˆæ‹³ Xinyiliuhequan å››æŠŠæ¶ å™¨æ¢°ã€€å¤©é¾æ*¦è¡“会 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOghc5ZZkM"]Xinyi Liuhe Boxing - [心æ„å…*åˆæ‹³ - 三盘è½åœ°] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

okay so this might be seen as 'trolling' but i think there is a rule about english language translation of anything posted in another language. haven't a clue what this subject is about but it won't stop me commenting ;)

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

If it's just a name it may be meaningless to translate...

Interesting stuff. :)

Reminds me, in way, of some old style Japanese arts.

What do you mean?

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's the name of the CMA style the videos show: 心意六合拳 (xinyiliuhequan) = mind, intent, six harmonies fist

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's just a name of CMA style. It's no different from to reference a Karate system such as "Okuno Ryu Karate", or a Judo throw such as "Uchi Mata".

XingYi is 5 elements - metal, wood, water, fire, earth. It can also mean mind.
    Liu He is 6 harmony that your

- shoulder coordinate with your hip,
    - elbow coordinate with your knee,
    - hand coordinate with your foot,

I don't know where the discussion may go. Can anybody

- pick up one of those drills, train it for a couple weeks, and get benefit out of it?
    - intergate this concept into whatever system that he may train?
    - apply this kind of power generation in fighting?
    - apply this kind of power generation when working on heavy bag?

I do find "power generation" and "speed generation" are both very interest discussion subjects.

6. GaryRomel

GaryRomel Valued Member

I've been working that type of power generation for over 20 years. It's been fully integrated into everything I do. I have practiced it extensively on a heavy bag, and used it several times in real fights. I also like to train against huge body-builder types to work the body connection tossing them around. I'm a small guy (165 pounds and 6 feet), so it's quite obvious the mechanics work well.

The method of power generation of the internal arts are unmatched by anything else. I know that is quite a claim, but I've trained with 100's of other black belts and instructors and have never been proven wrong. I'm more than willing to demonstrate to anyone in person the difference in effectiveness. Everyone should take some time to learn those mechanics, it's worth the effort. A few weeks may be a very optimistic estimate. Some may be able too, but many will have to work it longer. There will be gradual returns after the initial hike in power, but as the years go by the power will increase, especially dynamically with every movement eventually.

I have always liked the xingyi footwork. It's a great place to start out. Moving in is paramount to success. Also if you turn out the foot a bit more, swing the hips a little more, and go a little wider in the step you can get in more at an angle if needed, or even move around to the back. Baguazhang is great for this, and many Xingyi people cross train for that among many reasons.

I would also point out the stomping, it helps. Also keep your feet as close to the ground as possible when moving forward, drive off the heels.

Nice clips, thank you for sharing.

G