Xande Ribeiro Leaerning some Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Looks like he went straight into the advanced stuff , I wish more classes were like that.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Really? In what way?

4. bassai

Pretty much all of it , paired weapons work , especially at that pace , is something I’ve only ever seen seniors perform.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Not being funny, but it didn't look very advanced. It looked relatively simple. Simpler than most of the unarmed Aikido I've seen, in terms of coordination and timing needed to pull it off in a live situation.

6. bassai

I know , but , Aikido as I've learned it you don't do that kind of stuff until much more advanced grades , i'm happy to be corrected by more experienced Aikido ka.

David Harrison likes this.
  7. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Depends on the instructor, the school and the style (in that order). My first aikido school, we had paired weapons practice most weeks. My second, we only did it once a month or so (but what we did was shinkendo influenced, so different in nature and intent).

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's great that he has an open mind to new things!

The jo (stick) thing looked like a stab-block, stab-block, stab-block, over and over and over again. It's one piece from of a kata that they were doing on an endless loop. In my experience weapon classes are open to any rank, but it's not a testing requirement until brown belt or shodan.

The sword swinging was ... I don't know what. I hope just an exercise for loosening the shoulders!

The sword drawing is iaido, not aikido.