X-Kan differences

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Amber, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Amber

Amber Valued Member

I've been looking at training in a form of Ninjutsu, and the only dojo's I've found in my area (Perth, Australia) are Ninjukai Taijutsu (http://www.ninjukai.com.au/)
    and a Bujinkan Dojo. Now, I've had one class at the Bukinkan dojo, and, judging from what I can see here, should probably avoid the Ninjukai Taijutsu dojo. So, unless someone suddenly pulls out a Genbukan Dojo, I don't have much choice in what I'm doing. (Well, I could do nothing, but that would be silly.)

Anyway, I figured I may as well learn what the differences between Genbukan, Bujinkan and Jinenkan are, as well as anything else that might be appropriate.

So... any help?

2. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I think the difference between for example two Bujinkan dojos can be greater than between a Bujinkan dojo and a Genbukan dojo, and so on.

From what I have seen, the difference between different dojos can be huge, I think it's pretty much like this no matter what org you train in.

I can't really answer regarding difference between the organisations, someone else can probably do that, but when there are discussions like that, there's always alot of politics involved.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Not so true, In the Genbukan most/all Dojo will train in a very similar manor. And I belive that this is also true in the Jinenkan (although this is from google-fu and not from actual experince with them)

4. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

The differences are:

Bujinkan: Headed by Hatsumi Sensei. Soke of the 9 ryu in the Bujinkan curriculum as chosen by the late Takamatsu To*****ugu.

Gebukan: Headed by Tanemura.

Jinenkan: Headed by Manaka.

Toshindo: Headed by Stephen Hayes.

If you really wanted to choose just do some research on each individual on that list and make your decision.

Edit: The differences also usually run much deeper than just the organisation. Dojos are very different even within the organisations.

Rule of thumb. If you like the instructor and you like the training go for that dojo.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Jinenkan is headed by Ishizuka Sensei ? Does Manaka Sensei know?
    :eek:

6. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

lol

The Genbukan feels more like a koryu to me. It feels more traditional and structured, but its not restrictive (as there are many other arts inside the Genbukan, other than that from the Takamatsu-den).

It also feels more owie.

:love:

7. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Isn't Tanemura the head of a few lineages passed down from Takamatsu as well?

8. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Not directly.

-Daniel

9. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Just to be more direct - The Jinenkan - headed by Manaka.

-Daniel

10. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

:Alien:

What does Ishizuka have to do with Jinenkan? Or any x-kan that isn't the Bujinkan for that matter? :rolleyes:

11. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

Obvious typo or other mistake -- Ishizuka sensei is a 13th dan in the Bujinkan. And very definitely IN the Bujinkan.

12. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

They do seem more strict then the Bujinkan, altough I'm not sure. If I see it from a Bujinkan point of view, there is also a difference between how the arts are practiced in different countries. Don't know if the strictness of the Genbukan makes a difference in regards to this.

This is probably the biggest difference between at least the Bujinkan and the Genbukan from what I have seen. Strict diciplined training versus training that leaves alot of room for experimenting and finding you own way to do things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Altough for me it dosen't really matter what org I am with as long as I like the instructor. Maybe it would make a bigger difference at the higher dans.

13. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

Bujinkan

http://www.bujinkanperth.com.au

not sure how upto date the info is but the head instructor of this group is Shidoshi Andrew Jarvis(Judan) who has being around for soo long I can't remember. Give them a call :)

paul

14. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

Oh dear.

I'll just crawl into the corner now.

My mistake. That's right, Jinenkan is headed by Manaka.

(Thats what you get for trawling map at 4am in the morning :cry: )

Apologies to Ishizuka Sensei.

15. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

haha! You think he'd be offended? lol :p jk

16. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

I'll second that, i've met him in Japan a while ago, he's a good instructor and person

17. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

I think he'd be more offended by suggestion that he's thinking of starting his own X-kan with Kacem! ;)

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

DAM IT ELF!

That's one coke and a new keyboard you owe me!

19. hendry

hendry Valued Member

So how come the judan nafudakake associated with him were moved to the bad judan board? (where the fake judans are)

20. ninjaboy

ninjaboy Valued Member

Hi Amber , I lived and trained in perth for 14 years and know all the people that you should train with in perth . There are a few there that still say they are bujinkan , but in reality they do not train in japan and have no links to us whatsoever . If you are not training with Gary , Chris or lindsay then the place you have been to could be one of these . If you haven`t already , give Soyez`s link a look see , if only to verify that you have the right guys . I dont think you will get to see any other type of ninjutsu dojo than the ones you have mentioned , and it would be a very smart thing to avoid the ninjukai schools , they are not a real school of ninjutsu and are just made up by John Ang . I hope it all works out for you and that you enjoy training , gregh :)