Wushu Bow Staff Training Drills

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by stonze, Jul 6, 2013.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kEYg-tJUVQ"]Ep5 - Wushu Bow Staff Training Drill - YouTube[/ame]

Wushu Bow Staff Training Drills. I use the "Bow" staff and do some hand rolls, finger rolls, and figure eights. I'm training with the bow staff to make my wrists even stronger, so I can handle nun chucks in a few weeks once we start to use them at the dojo.

This is the first weapon that I have to start off with in my "Weapons Training". I like the bow staff so far, I want to learn the various strikes, blocks, and stances with the staff as well.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am a tad confused.....

Nunchucks aren't Chinese weapons. Your school is mixing Japanese weapons into its Chinese Martial Arts curriculum? Popularized by Bruce Lee, I suppose.

Honesetly, I think Bo staffs are Japanese in origin as well. Which means it isn't a "Wushu Bo Staff." Chinese MA's have staffs, but I don't think bo staffs. A quick google search confirms the term "bo" is Japanese.

Just curious why you are learning Japanese weapons?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm guessing that it's more 'performance' work than 'practical' work, judging by the flourishing of the weapon?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

stonze, this video concerns me somewhat.

It's all okay until the last few seconds when you hit the bag.

Please don't be offended, but you looked bored and the strikes on the bag looked like you just wanted something do just for the sake of it. .

My question is, "where was the instructor"? It's not as though you're practicing at home here, you're in class, so presumably in a lesson.

Why are you being allowed to hit a perfectly good bag with a wooden weapon and with poor technique?

5. ned

ned Valued Member

hey stonze,your staff (or bo ,but not both together;bo means staff) looks much too
    short and light for your size.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Stonze,

I mean this really, REALLY nicely but all you are doing is ineffectually spinning a stick. There is not one single combative application in there, your grip is all wrong and to be honest it looks like something that somebody doing a pastiche of martial arts weapons would do. If you were using it to hit or in a conbat situation you would lose the staff instantly

Is that standard for your style? Because I find it troubling. There is nothing in there that shows you know how to fight with it; it looks like every other modern "weapons" kata, which are all flash and no fight

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Those are the least important part of the staff training. The most important part of the staff training is to use one end of your staff to hit your opponent's head, use the other end to hit your belley, and ...

8. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Slight side track on the OPs video, but curious what you all think of this staff form?:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79ungY9V2g"]tournament hung fut staff - YouTube[/ame]

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

From what I remember, Stonze's school mixes Japanese and Chinese terminology. Hence all the confusion. Learning Chinese KungFu at a Dojo for example. etc.

Not Stonze's fault, just what he was taught.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Stonze posted this only a month ago. I doubt very much he has had any training with weapons with only three months at his school. I believe I remember in an earlier thread he was filming himself hitting some bags before class started. I suspect that is what was happening in this vid too.
    You should ask an instructor about this stonze, they probably would not want you hitting the bags with any weapons.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Stonze,

Thanks for posting.

Have a look at this clip of some Bojutsu.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kceOkMn0MRw&sns=em"]Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu [Bojutsu] - YouTube[/ame]

Now that is a Japanese art but notice that any changes in grip tend to be based on function rather than being empty motions.

I'm unsure of what Kung Fu staff should involve but I'd imagine that it would be worth while focusing on basic elements such as power generation, footwork and balance.

Look at your study and think "what is the purpose" of whatever you are practicing.

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Also, while looking at his schools website, it appears that it is a group of instructors teaching out of the same school with the Kung Fu and Karate teachers being different people. This very well might just be a case of a new person getting terminology a little mixed up, and attempting to practice some more advanced stuff on their own.

13. aaradia

I know. I think I was the one that looked at his schools website and figured that out.

But terminology may not the only thing being mixed up. It may be actual MA's being used interchangably. As far as I have been taught, there are no nuchucks in Chinese MA's. Three sections staff's, two section staff's, but no nunchucks.

That staff does not look like a standard Chinese Waxwood staff- wrong size. But there may be other Chinese styles that use this style of staff. That is why I am putting the question out there. I am curious. But I am now wondering if he is actually learning Bo, not just mixing up the terminology.

Mixing up names like the name of a school is one thing. "Dojo" being used in a school that also teaches Japanese MA's- for example.

But I am curious if more is being mixed up than that. And even then, that is fine as long as the school is being honest about it. The fact that is is being called a Wushu Bo concerns me. I hope Stonze is being told he is not learning strict Wushu, if this is indeed the case. But that is why I am asking for clarification.

Mostly, I want to know because I cannot offer much in the way of response to a video if it is a Japanese MA being taught. I would however, have a comment on that last move if it is supposed to be a Chinese waxwood style staff strike

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  14. aaradia

Now that looks far more like what I expect TCMA staff to look like. Some differences from my style, but far more familiar than not.

Is that you?

15. aaradia

Here are a couple of video's of some drills with staff and spear. In CLF, spear and staff have a lot of commonality of moves. The sort of power generation and energy that goes into the weapon is the same in a lot of moves- not all, but a lot.

I don't know this school. Someone else on another forum posted these when we were having a discussion of the similarities and differences between the two weapons. I like the basic drills though. I like the power genearation of a lot of it (not the beginning hand moves in the staff one though.) I like the crisp moves in a lot of the drills.

We have a drill of a few of the basic moves that we do over and over and over again. Not these exactly, but 5 to 7 move drills We aim for that shake at the end of the staff which shows we are putting the proper energy into the move. Oh and that whoosh sound too. That sound is one indicator moving with enough power and speed.

So these are similar to what I know, same style and all. But some differences too. Our full extension of the single ended poke has the one hand under the armpit for maximum extension. I haven't seen that jump around move in the forms in my school's curriculum.

The spinning? We call that flowering. They show it a lot in the video, but I only see it for a couple of seconds in some of the more advanced forms. Some of our forms don't have flowering at all. (Chau Sot- the first staff form we learn.)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwhenLuelqQ"]Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu Spear Training - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBAcOvbBBo4"]Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu Staff Training - YouTube[/ame]

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

No, not me - but it is a staff form from the style I'm learning. I haven't gotten to learn this form yet.

17. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

OP-I am currently learning staff in my kobudo class, so I'll offer a bit of critique. As the others have said, the staff appears to be quite a bit too short for you. All the kobudo I'm familiar with uses a 6' staff. Overall, your control of spinning is good. Your attacks don't look solid to me. From where I sit, it seems you leave yourself very vulnerable to an opponent's attacks/counter-attacks. You need to have your instructor teach you some staff kata or at least short forms. When you get some forms down, have your instructor do two person forms with you. Do you have a syllabus? If you shared that, it may help me critique you better.

18. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I don't know why you guys bother this guy just doesn't take some good advice he shouldn't even be holding a staff or bow other then when he is practicing horse stance low enough for the staff not to roll off, six months minimum stances two straight punches and thrust kicks and thats it, seven years it took me to be any good at Kung Fu and by that i mean being able to hold my own against my Si Hings and not get my head punched in when sparring after class every night and until i got to that stage i was considered a beginner.

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I always try to help newbies. I remember what it was like being a frustrated beginner myself. A fellow who helped me once called it "paying it forward".

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

We should always assume that people are serious, sincere, and honest until proved otherwise.