wuko sparing rules

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Afro, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Afro

Afro New Member

:confused:
    hey any one who dose kyokusinkai
    could u tell me what the rules for wuko are coz i just plain n sympal dont know

2. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

WUKO is nonexistant. It dissolved in the 90's and was reformed as the FMK (Federation Mondial de Karate) or WKF in English.

If you're interested in the WKF's rules, look at their website. There's a PDF of the rule book. www.wkf.net

Rob

3. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

First and foremost seek advise from the senior club instructor of the club involved or ask at any Dojo's in the area or even contact the EKGB for the advice you seek.

Look through some of the martial arts magazines such as, Traditional Karate, Combat or Martial Arts Ilustrated.

Competition Rules and that of Officiating are long and in most cases complicated.

1. Competition Area.
    2. Dress.
    3. Organisation of the Competition.
    4. Contest Procedures.
    5. Scoring.
    6. Forbidden Actions.
    7. Injuries and Safety.
    8. Officiating Rules.

1. The Competition Area

(a) the area must be flat,
    (b) it should be an 8m square,
    (c) the fighters are positioned 1.5m from the centre line and on lines 1m long. the judge and referee are positioned 2m from the centre line and on 0.5m lines long. Red is on the right of the referee and white is to the left,
    (d) the scorer and arbitrator must sit behind the referee,
    (e) a safety line is 1m from the edge of the area (mat) all the way around. it should be made noticeable by being a different colour or be of a dotted / broken line.

2. Dress

(a) the contestants must wear a clear, white Karate Gi, be in good condition, one with a red belt and the other with white belt. the jacket must cover the hips and no more than half of the thighs, with sleeves which come down half way at least down the forearm. trousers must come cover at least two thirds of the shin.
    (b) hair and nails must be clean and hair must be kept tied back, no jewellery of any description must be worn. any injuries must be checked before the competition as well as the bandage or dressing by the medical officer and arbitrator.
    (c) hand and leg pads must be worn and must comply with health and safety as well as with the governing body. males must wear boxes inside the Gi trousers and again must be approved, female must wear breast protectors, all competitors must wear gum shelds, glasses are forbidden.

3. Organisation.

(a) the refereeing team is made up of a referee (Shushin), a judge (Fukushin), and an arbitrator (Kansayaku).

more info given if need be.

4. Contest Procedure.

(a) the normal length of a bout is two minutes, but this can be altered by the organisers when setting out the rules,
    (b) the timing of a bout is given by the referee, it starts and stops by the referee and by his / her signal. to start is Shobo Hajimae and to stop is Yame. a time signal from the scorer will be given at 30 seconds and a different signal for full-time.
    (c) Individual contests can be given an additional bout called Sai Shiai, in the event of a draw. sudden death fight offs are called Encho Sen.

5. Scoring.

the result of a contest is decided by;

(a) the total number of Waza ari and Ippon scores.
    (b) a disqualification (Hansoku) or (Shikkaku), or by withdrawal (Kiken),
    (c) in the event of a draw the refereeing tam will decide in their own opinion which contestant showed significant superiority.

you will have attack areas rules and for those of Ippon must be of better quality than the rest.

Again for further rules please ask.

6. Forbidden Techniques.

Again please ask for details as there are pleanty of.

7. Injuries.

as per no.6

8. Officiating Rules.

as per no.6 and 7.

This is by no means a comprehensive copy of the rules that govern Karate competitions, for future reference seek EKGB advice. The rules for Knock-down and other types of contact are again different.

I hope this has helped you Afro, best rgards.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Welcome Afro. Good to see another Kyokushinkai karateka here. I also practise Kyokushinkai.

Kosokun, WUKO is not non-existant, its a form of Kyokushinkai, stop-start point sparring, often refered to as Nihon Shobu.

I have a rough guide to the Wuko rules somewhere, I'll find it, and post them for you. As Paul says though, check with your instructor first for clarifcation.

Osu