wu style tai chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by ptkali778, Oct 11, 2005.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

can someone give me some info on wu style taichi please. i found out that one of the guys at work does wu style and agreed to show me sometime soon. any inputs or thoughts would be much appreciated....thanks guys! :D

2. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

3. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

cool thanks fugepilot

4. slowmo

slowmo New Member

wu style comes directly from 'yang style' and i've heard that it's good but that its more difficult than yang and that wu teachers often tell students to learn another taiji style first before tryign to learn wu. i've also seen that wu stylists lean forward a lot and that might not be so good for you back!

5. wanderingdaoist

wanderingdaoist New Member

Greetings from Laos guys!

I've done wu style (from wu quan you) for six years, you need to keep in mind that there are technically TWO wu-styles, the first - from the master I mentioned is a large frame style. The second is from master wu yu xiang (i think that's how you spell his name) and is a incredibly small frame style. If you watch sun-style taiji, they use primarily small wu.

Both of these styles are great for self defense. Small frame emphasizes 'opening and closing' and generating power in a very small range of motion. Large frame emphasizes sticking/adhearing and yes, they do lean a bit in their bodypositioning. Large wu-style has many throws and jointlocks hidden within their forms, not usually seen in modern yang-style. They also strongly emphasize push-hands in their training.

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Wu style lean into their stance, but they don't bend the back. Head and spine are straight and alinged. Leaning does not mean bending.

7. wanderingdaoist

wanderingdaoist New Member

there's some great wu-style self-defence tapes out there, btw, i can't remember the names of them, they must be 20 years old, but they're quality, though in chinese...