Wu Style Apps

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by fatb0y, Jul 25, 2007.

1. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

What I know about Wu style = 0 but taiji is about principles right?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSM7rEbDk4]Demo1[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNl4T-U3EdU&NR=1]Demo2[/ame]

2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Like some things, didn't like others. Would have been nice to see strikes, to me it is the most important thing before trying a throw.

3. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Pretty entertaining, but all of the attacks were from running towards the guy. It would have been nice to see some other scenarios. As it was the guys were telegraphing their intention from miles away.

4. middleway

middleway Valued Member

why ALWAYS pushing away in these demos! ... what happened to showing 'practical' applications of tai chi.

HIT, THROW, LOCK ETC

always with the pushing away!!!

;)

thats better ......
    :D

Chris

5. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I won't comment on the leaning thing as I know Wu stylists do that, but from a Chen style perspective, I would say that he is constantly "plucking his root" by lifting his back heel the whole time, and ending up quite imbalanced. Sure - stuff can be made to work without worrying about it, but your actions are a lot more powerful if you maintain your root and shift your weight through every action without letting any force leak up, out or backwards.

If anyone fancies arguing with me on this comment, don't bother - I just stated my point of view and now I'm going. Yes, I can do that.

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

No you cant.

:D

7. macker

macker Valued Member

"I say what i like, and i like what i bloody well say" :rolleyes:

8. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Too right.

9. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

You can't please everyone all the time.
    So make sure you bloody well please yourself.
    :)

10. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

Why pushing? Because here, you are returning an incoming force, and if done properly is very impressive. Issuing is tremendously difficult and skillful - a master can do it using a very small circle and can appear to be doing very little, hence some see it as fake. What is shown here appears to be shoving, not issuing - or using a very big circle. I can't comment on what kind of force is used- contractive or otherwise....

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Pretty good demos. I have to say, I prefer clip 2 over clip 1. Like middleway said, to much bouncing/pushing away.