WTF Poomsae question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KAMAU, Apr 26, 2011.

1. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Need this deleting Kamau?

Mitch

3. dvt

dvt Valued Member

what's wrong with my post? why deleted my post? is that cool be able to delete posts?

cool kid ...

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I can't see your question dvt? The thread shows as started by you but Kamau's post is showing as the first. Looks like a database problem, nobody has deleted ypour post. I though Kamau had made a mistake.

Mitch

5. dvt

dvt Valued Member

oh sorry .. it took me so long to do the post .. maybe that was the db error.

thanks, i found the answer on google. can u please remove this thread? Thanks

dvt

6. dvt

dvt Valued Member

oh sorry .. it took me so long to do the post .. maybe that was the db error.

thanks, i found the answer on google. can u please remove this thread? Thanks

dvt

7. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

sorry mitch, i was just a bit puzzled why nothing was on display! also thought it would draw a mods attention if there was an era.

bests Kamau

8. captainmoomoo

captainmoomoo Valued Member

@dvt - would still be interested in the question.

9. dvt

dvt Valued Member

HI,

my question was:

My son is in ITF style which he does both pattern and sparring in tournaments. As for WTF, he only do sparring, since he does not know the pattern we are still trying to find out the sparring rule for him in Ontario Canada, which they do not allow head contact and all I know which allow him to score in WTF is round house and back kick. So for WTF pattern, we would like to know which pattern go with which belt level. My son's just promoted to green belt and I want to know which pattern (poomsae) in WTF belong to this green belt so I can search on youtube and show him, so he can do it on the WTF tournament as well. We paid for both pattern and sparring in WTF but he only doing sparring and I want him to try both.

on google I found out that, the poomsae go with green belt is Sam-Jang #3. so I will show him this weekend for his sunday tournament. You may think it's ridiculous to show my son in such short time, but he able to pickup a pattern in a very short period of time and doing it correctly. and the pattern competition fee is included in the tournament payment already.

I will create another thread to ask about the wtf sparring rules in Ontario.

Thanks

10. captainmoomoo

Hi dvt,

Good questions - regarding the poomsae for his level it can depend on the organisation.

You're correct that officially Taegeuk Sam Jang is the poomsae for green belt (7th geup), but you may find that some organisations will list that poomsae as the one for when you are testing FOR green belt.

Since moving from the UK to Motreal Canada, I've noticed that they do things a little differently here (like how I described above). First of all, they don't seem to have the same emphasis on poomsae here that we did in the UK. In the UK, if you fail the poomsae section of a test, you fail the whole test - whereas here at the academy that I've joined in Montreal you only do poomsae at the black belt tests.

Good luck to your son in his competition!

11. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

Ive got to say captainmoomoo that must be a very watered down version of an art iv loved over 3 decades......poomse at gradeings in the club where I train are, the one for the grade and most of the previous as it should be preseved as skill levels are improved' previous standards on poomse should advance........if this is not the view why dont ppl who water down traditional just where optional uniforms and train accordingly! I respect quite a few ppl on map who train this way but dont profess to be a tkd club and hold ridiculous gradeings where everyone who pays passes.

@OP...yes you may well be able to teach samjang in a short time to an able student, just make sure backstance to long stance is shown in full or any legit judges should mark down hard..........compitition standard in uk wtf..at least a year on one pattern ime

bests kamau

12. captainmoomoo

@KAMAU - I agree 100%.

I think it's a sad situation, and highly unfortunate as I truly believe the most interesting fighting techniques/strategies of the traditional arts are to be found in their forms. In contrast, the competition formats of many, e.g. ITF, WTF, Karate, are very limited and almost 1-dimensional. Not knocking it, but sport-sparring formats clearly don't allow the same variety of techniques that that are offered in their respective arts - and for good reason too!

However, in defence of the academy I've joined here - they are exceptionally good at what they've been focussing on over the last *45* years! Yes, it's crazy, the oldest club in Canada (google Chong Lee Taekwondo). As for the lack of poomsae, it seems it's very characteristic of WTF clubs in the Canadian province of Quebec. The good thing is that it's been acknowledged as a major drawback of the club, and they have taken steps for the gradual reintroduction of poomsae into their syllabus.

Personally I'm a poomsae man. I enjoy sparring sessions too (sometimes a bit too much), but especially since discovering the works of StuartA, SJON, and Iain Abernethy, I find poomsae training not only physically demanding/satisfying, but hugely intriguing too.

13. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

totally agree captain, sounds like your clubs getting its house in order, iv nothing against sport tkd, karate etc etc! in most of the clubs local to me (and mine could be going same way) sports getting 50% of all training times id prefer about 25% with the other shared between poomse, SD and traditional kicking punching blocking......i feel the laters never spoilt my freestyle in anyway.......anyways good luck with the training, keep on kicking.

il have a look at your club bit later.

bests kamau

14. dvt

dvt Valued Member

Thank you for your suggestion, but can you please give me a link or a pix that show that stance? sorry, i have no idea what's "backstance and long stance" and how it should be shown.

thank you.
    DVT

15. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yZskU2cA8&feature=related"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yZskU2cA8&feature=related[/ame]

at 26 secs he moves from a twin knife hand guarding block in backstance to reverse punch in long stance, thats the bit most people learning the pattern do very badly in most cases.

16. dvt

dvt Valued Member

thanks a lot Kamau, this is a great video.

Thanks

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Hope your son's tourney went well.

For what its worth, here is a link to the 'official' TKD poomsae DVDs.

http://www.taekwondotimes.com/store/item.php?it_id=43&goca_id=4

I haven't seen them yet. We ended up getting WTF Taekwondo Official Taegeuk Poomse #1-8 by Master Sang H. Kim. It seems to do a good job at the coloured belt ranks.