WTF Approved equipment

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Ferret, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

I am looking for some reviews/opinions on WTF approved equipment, in particular Adidas, Kwon, SMAI, Mooto and Daedo.

Is one brand better than another, even though they all offer WTF approved gear?

My club buys in Kwon stuff - I am happy to go with that if it will last and stand the test of time, but if another brand is of better quality, I'd love to know.

Also, if you don't buy through your club, where do you purchase your stuff from (UK if poss)?

Many thanks in advance for all thoughts!

;)

2. divine spiral

divine spiral shiiiiiiiiiiiiii-zack!!

3. TKD Dad

TKD Dad Valued Member

My son uses Adidas pads and Mooto Hogu. He had tried the Adidas and Tiger Hogus but they were a little wider on the sides. The Mooto is a little narrower for children sizes, and allows for unrestricted leg kicks.

4. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Sadly Mooto is pretty hard to get hold of in the UK, though I'm sure there are ways and means! In fact same goes for Adidas :(

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've got some contact details for a guy who does adidas stuff Ferret, I'll try and, erm, ferret them out for you. :)

Mitch

6. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Awesome Mitch, many thanks!

7. Mitch

Finally found the email buried in my Inbox, I only had to go through and delete over 600 mails before I got to it :)

Sam Do.

Cimac also do Adidas stuff, you'l have to look around to see if it's only boxing stuff though.

Hope they've got what you want.

Cheers,
    Mitch

8. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Ta very much! Cimac don't do TKD adidas stuff, but I've dropped Sam Do a line... thanks for the link!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

In my opinion Mooto offer the highest quality products, and I'd go with them every time. I really like my Adidas doboks, but they don't come close to the Extera dobok from Mooto, shoes too I prefer the feel of my Mooto Wings over my Adidas pairs.

Sadly Mooto have stopped doing direct orders via their website to the UK, however if you had a bulk order I'm sure you could drop them a mail and see what you can arrange (sending from Korea only took about 2-3 days, so often faster than ordering from the UK anyway!).

10. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

I've never used Mooto; only Adidas, for Doboks (white collar) and shoes. I like both!
    Unfortunately this order will be a one off, just for me. Would love to try Mooto!

ps. just noticed that they have a French webshop - perhaps they might be able to help.

I'll let you know how I get on, it might be helpful for other wanting to order Mooto stuff.

:)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  11. Mitch

Just as a quick update, you can get some Mooto stuff here in the UK from Bytomic.

Mitch

12. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Thank you!

13. Ferret

Ferret Valued Member

Ahhh sadly the Mooto Extera is only available with a black collar :(
    Looks yummy too, AND with spandex, for extra stretch-i-ness (good for big hip'd gals like me, hehe)

Oh well, the search continues!

EDIT:

I have just found this place, LOADS of stuff in stock >>>

http://www.kicksport.com/shop/Taekwondo-c-252/?page=0

Happy days! :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  14. TKD_Enthusiast

TKD_Enthusiast Valued Member

Hi all,

I just bought a Mooto size 3 WTF hogu and I was wondering if I had got the wrong size. According to the Mooto website, it should be the right size for someone of my height (Approx. 5ft 9ins). However, when I showed my TKD teacher he said it may be a bit small and I should of got the next size up. He also mentioned that the chest protector should be big enough to cover your hips in case someone delivers a powerful kick to them. In which case, you've probably had it.

Could anyone tell me if this is true? Does anyone know if the sizing is accurate for these products? I know you shouldn't get a size too big because it would restrict your high kicks.

I obviously don't want to needlessly go through the hassle of sending it back to the retailer by post only to find it WAS the correct size.

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,

TKD_Enthusiast :)

15. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

They come in white collar too, they're evn listed on the site you posted! :)
    Although those prices are darn high! You'd be better off getting one shipped from the official Mooto USA store!

As for the hogu - without seeing it, it's hard to judge. I'd suggest doing a google image search to see where they come down to on other people and see if yours is about the right height. I think most of the more recent hogu don't cover the hips, to allow for easier kicking.

16. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

For those who have a "fuller figure" (than those skinny Orimental people), they might want to go up in sizes according to... er... "belt length"... so it does depend on your build.

Tho, IMO... I am a short-ass at 5 ft 1, *most size 3 uniforms fit me great - and I wear a Mooto size 3 armour , which was fitted by a Mooto distributor who was himself a Kukkiwon 4th dan... so I'd think he has the mileage to know what to sell me! You had better be VERY SKINNY to fit in there, or you might just have disproportionatly long arms & legs. :confused:

You COULD compensate by wearing it a bit lower so the collar doesn't sit so close to your neck. :)

Think of it like this - smaller hogu = less weight to carry on you when you fight. :cool: